The Woman who adopted Florida teen, on “Conversations Of A Sistah”

October 14, 2015 by The ReadyWriter

Generated by IJG JPEG Library

Generated by IJG JPEG Library

Hey “Conversations Of A Sistah” family., Do you remember this story? I wrote about it almost a year ago, about fifteen (15) year old Davion Navar Henry, who had been in foster care his entire life and desperate for a family to call his own, so he had taken matters into his own hands by going to a local church and pleading for a loving family to adopt him. It all started, after he learned, his biological mother, who gave birth to him while she was in prison, had passed away, that’s when he asked his caseworker, Connie Going, if she would take him to church so that he could make his request known to the people there and she agreed.

Davion’s story was not only heart breaking but so compelling it made prime-time news. As it turns out, the state didn’t find Davion a home, so he asked Connie Going, the Eckerd adoption specialist in charge of his case; if she would become his mom. Apparently Davion felt comfortable enough in knowing that Connie would take care of him and provide him the family structure he yearned to have. Connie Goings in turn, left the Eckerd adoption agency after many years and her adoption of Davion was finalized on April 22,2015.

attach

Join me tonight at 6:30 p.m. on “Conversations Of A Sistah” via blog talk radio, as I sit down with Ms. Connie Goings, as she’ll share her story and journey with the challenges she may have faced with the adoption of Davion Navar Henry and how it’s adjusted into his new life as her son.

All “Conversation links” in this post, makes it possible to access the show!!

See you on the air!

138 thoughts on “The Woman who adopted Florida teen, on “Conversations Of A Sistah”

YES I remember this story. Good morning Tra

2. Princess says:

Of course I remember this story the young man was all over the news. But what I thought was that he was eventually placed somewhere and he didn’t like the family they placed him with. Tracy please clear this up. I’m curious.

Mm I wanna hear this. black boy with a white family 0_0 ye ok.

Morning Ladies.

5. BillyBoy says:

WTF??? she’s white!!!

so many questions to be asked….will she make sure he knows his culture? will he date black girls or just pursue white? I mean who will be this boys male mentors and will they treat him right? will she treat like the others. Trace you don’t have a picture of the whole family? what up?

Love has no color but I would say that she may not know nothing about raising a black young man. Ion know

Hm…. while I do believe love has no color that should be all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

9. AppleBottom says:

I could of sworn they had found this boy a home. 😦 a home with an AA family. Guess I was wrong.

10. Miss Ang says:

If she’s a good mom she’ll supply he needs of a loving home and a healthy environment. As always I look 4ward to Tracy’s discussions.

Beautiful pic. a little awkward but ok. I’m not going to judge this woman’s intentions of adopting a young black male until I hear her position later on the show. Celebs adopt black kids all the time so I guess it’s the trend now? O_O

I can’t wait to HEAR this show. I wanna know how the young man is doin after going from home to home. I wanna know his mental and emotional well being is being aided. everything else is secondary IMO.

The pictures of them are beautiful. I hope this woman is making it work.

14. Pointmen says:

yeah the picture look all wholesome and what NOT but the bigger picture here is…. will this woman be ready for the challenges she will face with raising a black male in a racist society? lets keep it real people this woman has her hands full. and will this young black male have the right mentors in his life? what will she do to nurture his well being? These are the questions we should be ready to ask and have addressed for tonight’s show. Damn what the picture look like!!!

• RandomChick says:

********
      CoSign!!! Exactly!

• Mittsey says:

********
        So TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

********
        to add to that I believe she lives infl. the state where black men are hunted,

• CorporateBitch says:

********
        HOLLA

• Angelhair says:

********
        TRUE but I’m sure she’s weighed every consequence. Won’t know till after the show.

15. Mittsey says:

Wow. The story is interesting. a white woman adopting a black man child. I wonder is she is getting him counseling. Like what is his mentality having grown up in a foster home? I’m curious. O_O

16. Henrietta says:

Not jumping to any conclusions until I hear the show.

17. renee says:

Come on now….she didn’t leave Eckerd. She was fired!

• Browngirl says:

she didn’t leave Eckerd. She was fired!
      FIRED???????
      Oh shit why don’t you tell us what really happened?

she didn’t leave Eckerd. She was fired!
        FIRED? I’m sure Tra don’t know this.

• ManUp says:

she didn’t leave Eckerd. She was fired!
        Fired. Quit. the bottom line is she isn’t there. she’s moved on.

• CorporateBitch says:

she didn’t leave Eckerd. She was fired!
        OK 😛

• Angelhair says:

she didn’t leave Eckerd. She was fired! —>>>>> SO!!!!!!!!!!

• Zenna says:

she didn’t leave Eckerd. She was fired!
        And. who cares anyway.

• Ionna says:

she didn’t leave Eckerd. She was fired!
        Sounds like she left because she didn’t agree with a lot that was being done in the system. she’s better off because now she’ll be calling her own shots. Kudos to her and please don’t be a hater this woman is MAKING MOVES.

foster kids usually have all kinds of baggage they dealin with 😦 sheesh.
    Tuning in tho

19. 2Thick4you says:

I’m wondering so many things. Like what type of male figures will he have? will she celebrate his AA heritage, what values will she instill? And the list goes on.

• Cameo1 says:

will be listening to tupac or beiber?

• Mahogany says:

—–
      all good points.

Oh I will def be tuning in this story breaks my heart

21. Connie Going says:

This is Connie. Yes, please tune in. I reached out to Tracy for this interview so I am open and can answer anything. First , Davion was born in into foster care and raised by a system which failed him from the beginning. He could have going with relatives, with out a doubt. More so when he was much much younger and had less trauma from being in the system.
    Davion is connected to our family because he and my other son, who was also raised in FC were best friends in a program ( warehousing for foster children). Not as a social worker but as a family we took him to pastors who are friends of mine in the black community so we could find a family and let him speak out to ask for one. Davion is an amazing a brave soul and he deserves everything in life. No families came forward but we continued to speak out in the community. The the story went Viral. Thats when the state wanted to use him for their poster child. I was VERY vocal about what was happening which was why I was terminated. I was given a congressional award in adoption 5 months before they let me go, but my reputation remains nationally is solid. I spoke out FOR Davion and have always had his back.
    When he went to Ohio they sent him back in 4 months.They were not equipped to deal with some of his anger ( which he rightly has). It was then after the state isolated him and 4 months later he reached out to me after getting his cell phone and asked me to adopt him. I said yes right away.
    I knew it would not be easy but he deserves more than he has got and we have always loved him.

I had to fight the system to adopt him, because after he was not marketable he was written off as a bad kid who will age out of foster care. Again, he deserved so much more!

I am a single mom, but have built my life to embrace diversity but especially my community of which I have lived and breathed for many years. My neighbor hood and church are definitely not “white” and my children attend a school which is majority black. I chose to raise my children and live my life this way a long time before Davion became my son. Its just who we are. As far as who we are surrounded by, because I cannot do this alone.
    Davion’s mentor Richard has been with him 3 years and he is family. I could not raise either of my boys with out him. Both boys go to boxing in a gym where we are surround by amazing families. We are now connected to Davion’s biological family and see them often. In fact he is spending this weekend with his cousin, a police officer in clearwater. If you ask him he has the all of his life right here and is finally looking forward to becoming the man he hopes to be.

Does Davion have challenges ahead… yes. You don’t survive trauma in foster care with out working through what it has done to you. But he now has the ability to grow, to love ,attach and trust and to build meaningful relationships.
    But as he finds his purpose in his life he without a doubt help others. I am honored and blessed to be his mom, no matter how difficult it gets he will have us next to him.

So please tune in…

22. Connie Going says:

No… I promise there is more…

Looking forward to the show.

Looks like Connie’s comment was removed.

As long as this Kid is raised knowing his culture and understanding diversity I commend this woman. can’t judge until I hear the show.

wonder if the “N” word will be an allowed language in her home? LOL 🙂 maybe NOT.

He’s the cutest kid. who couldn’t/wouldn’t love him 🙂

28. Mrs. says:

Awesome the woman who adopted Davion is going to be on the show in another 30 minutes to be exact. As an avid reader of this blog I def remember the story but thank U Tra for linking it in the write up. You Rock! 😛 Tuning in.

I trust Tracy will address all comments on the show O_o she always does. Now let’s get ready to RUUUMBLE!!!!

As long as she loves him like he’s her own is all that matters to me. all that other shit is secondary.

she’s a single mom and that’s a challenge within itself. it’s a lotta black men being raised by single moms. as long as she’s aware of the challenges she’ll face more power to her. It’s easy to judge when U don’t know. I’d rather tune in and hear her talk it LIVE.

32. Zion says:

Hope she has a good lawyer 🙂 #justwondering

6 minutes till Showtime.

34. LEXY says:

No judgements but she Is raising a black male/man child. she has big shoes to fill AND LOTS OF THINGS EXPECTED OF HER. GOD BLESS HER FOR HER EFFORTS IF NOTHING ELSE.

35. LEXY says:

LAWD :CRY: JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE BLEW ME AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

36. AlScream says:

I liked her. glad she has a strong support system.

37. Mrs. says:

who sing that closing song Tracy played. That was awesome. Connie is an amazing woman!!! amazing.

38. Henrietta says:

Damn shame! The boys family in the same damn town and don’t want him? sorry asses.

• Connie Going says:

I think the immediate family was wrapped up in the system so he never had a chance.The system just stopped looking but there were more family members which we have met now.So he has many people who love and care for him. I am just the blessed one who gets to call him my son.

39. Henrietta says:

Praying for this awesome woman and her family.

40. Ebony says:

where is Nicole? Lord…Tracy this show made me cry.

Awesome Guest Connie Goings was…God knows her heart and Davion wanted to be with her and her family. I will pray that God gives her the strength and wisdom needed to aid these boys. God bless her O_o

This is dedicated to Davion and Connie.

43. PookieNem says:

I hope she gets all the aid and support she can from her programs, church and community for those boys. I have sooo much RESPECT for her. Good show and great Guest Tracy

Connie please keep us posted when Davion goes to college and all of the other things he will experience growing up. I pray he becomes a strong man in the long run. Kudos to you for giving him the love and support his own family could not. wow it’s hurtful but a sad reality.

Damn this shit blowing up on FB

46. Ceodawg says:

show was sad Trace. why should these kids suffer? Connie was right in saying “they didn’t ask to come here” and his family live in the same city and being raised by someone else. wow.

47. Lilly says:

What a good show. I gotta hear the rewind in the morning.

Beautiful pic and she had a compelling interview.

Good show.

50. Neesey says:

Hey Tra whatz good.

51. Neisey says:

Good show.

52. Flogirl says:

Great show! Kudos to Connie for HOLDING it down!!

Tracy you highlight some awesome stories girl.

I missed the show but heard the rewind. Awesome interview.

This was a good show. Connie covered everything. I wish she, Davion and her extended family the best.

Great show Tracy.
    Connie sounds like she not only want the best for Davion but for all the young males left behind by the system. Damn shame!

57. Valerie says:

Sorry y’all but after hearing the interview I thought this song was a better fit.