Tyler Perry is Alex Cross!

October 21, 2012 by The ReadyWriter

Tyler Perry took off the dress for a minute in a command performance as Alex Cross, the man is both multi-talented and impressive in such a dramatic role as a doctor and detective. Perry proved that his talents go far beyond the character “Madea” that he’s made so famous.

Tyler Perry plays a young homicide detective/psychologist Alex Cross who meets his match in a serial killer. The two face off in a high-stakes game of cat and mouse, but when the mission gets personal, Cross is pushed to the edge of his moral and psychological limits.

Edward Burns plays Cross’ sidekick in the film and his character grows a little unrealistic and unbelievable to the point that, Burns is clueless as Cross (played by Perry), is the constant crime solver on every point of incident in the film. Tyler Perry is definitely the breakout star.

I give the movie 10 thumbs up, it’s a must see in my opinion.

79 thoughts on “Tyler Perry is Alex Cross!

really? are you sure he didn’t sound like madea at some point in the film?

2. bobby says:

was alot of white people in the theatre watching this movie.

cant take tyler serious sorry

4. Pretty says:

I have never read a James Patterson novel, but I did know this was based on one. I thought the movie was excellent

I can’t wait to see Tyler in a new role!! KudoS to him that he is for undergoing something a little different! He is a very talented & good looking actor and he definitely has my support!! I know he will do well

I don’t have a problem with Perry but I don’t buy him at all in a serious, dramatic or action role. Maybe they should have eased him into it by giving him a supporting role in a movie like this.

• Adam says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Give the man a break and look beyond the Madea stereotype.

it was a great movie i agree with a 10 thumbs up

Saw the movie and thought it it was well done. Tyler Perry was a good choice to play Alex Cross.

I think it’s clear he read the reviews. The sad part is that I read James Patterson’s book and the physical characteristic of Alex Cross fits Tyler Perry to a “t” but at the end of the day, Tyler must not have been believeable.

Maybe it’s your acting Tyler. Hell, I have a hard time believing you in the roles you play in your own movies outside of the Madea character.

Oh well…….

10. Tammy says:

Tyler—– kudos for your effort my brother.

11. alscream says:

TP’s movie didn’t even come in the top 5.

Morning

They said Alex Cross had the worst box office opening ever.

This movie did bad they say but he still grossed $11.7 million.
    Hell more than what I have in the bank account.

Maybe Madea should’ve played Alex Cross then it would have been a box office hit.

16. man says:

He alternated from his rols as Madea and nobody could take him seriously as Alex Cross which is why the movie opening flopped.

Thought the movie was pretty good. he did a really good job. now is it oscar worthy NO.

heard the movie was pretty good

you can’t win em all.

So if a movie doesn’t make #1 it’s a fail? There are a lot of movies that don’t make the #1 spot but make mad money. I really enjoyed the movie and loved Tyler Perry in this role as Alex Cross.

The movie was too short IMO but Awesome!
    Awesome movie.

whoever casted him in this role made a big fat Boo Boo. Tyler has no exp. starring in a mainstream movie. white folk really don’t know him that well. They should have gotten someone more established. But I also heard the movie was just bad aside from Tyler having a star role..

• “whoever casted him in this role made a big fat Boo Boo. Tyler has no exp. starring in a mainstream movie.”
      I strongly disagree with you Browngirl, because he gave a stellar performance

“white folk really don’t know him that well.”Really? Are you serious? Tyler Perry made Madea a household name and btw, there were more white folk in the theatre than “people of color”

“They should have gotten someone more established. But I also heard the movie was just bad aside from Tyler having a star role..”
      Tyler played the role well and the movie was action packed and not bad at all.

• Felicia says:

Hi Ms. Bell 🙂 and of course you saw the movie based on your comment to Brown.

• alscream says:

Go head Trace defend ya boy TP.

• BrownGirl says:

Tracy, I respect your opinion to disagree but please respect mine.

• sane says:

Brown,
        Don’t get ya ass BANNED from the CEO blog here.

• sane says:

No disrespect…Wassup Queen?

• QTip says:

Brown, Not true!!!! Perry has a lot of talent and I think he played the role of Alex Cross because he wants to be taken seriously in his profession. Please STOP listening to the media the movie wasn’t bad at all. Check it out for ya self.

Wassup Tra

Hey Tracy

“white folk really don’t know him that well.”

Brown, I know plenty of white people that watch every Madea/Tyler Perry movie and will quote the lines better than most of us. I agree that he probably should have started out with smaller roles but I can’t fault him for taking the role.

• Aceman says:

Wazzup erbdy…whats good @Tra…don’t u have a show to get ready for?

• FloridaGurl says:

Hey Ms. Bell. 🙂

• Yasha says:

hey y’all

“White folk really don’t know him that well”

@Brown, white people know tyler perry. They dont applaud his movies the way black folks do. I knew his name was mainstream when I was watching a “white” show on ABC and they took a shot at tyler perry not being funny.

Like Janet starring in any movie, Tyler has to work his way up to that with any audience. I dont see many Tyler Perry movies and had no interest in seeing Alex Cross. I wont say what he should stick to cuz I’m all for growth and trying new adventures. Also, Alex Cross/Madea fans are not of the same mentality, trust me. Madea’s a box office draw, Tyler Perry, in this case, is not.

hey tra didn’t know you were here for a minute.

I can’t listen to him in a serious role cause all I hear is Madea. So I could not deal with him as Alex Cross.

movie was good TP surprised me. he was excellent as alex cross.

I might check it out…I might

I still applaud Tyler for trying to expand his range. Some ppl are too content in comfort zones.

Alex Cross has the potential to be a great franchise with the right person in the lead. No matter how you slice it, Tyler Perry can NOT act and was woefully miscast. He didn’t stink up the screen; but, the movie would have been much better if Idris played Alex. Hopefully, James Patterson and the producers will see the error of their ways and get Idris on board or some other brother who can act. If they continue on with Tyler, the franchise will tank.

28. bobby says:

I read Tyler is in negotiations to star in another Alex Cross movie — Double Cross.

29. FloridaGurl says:

James Patterson via his newsletter in March 2012 announced Idris Elba had signed on to play Alex Cross. Then, a few months later Tyler Perry was announced as Alex Cross. James Patterson dropped Idris in favor of Tyler because he said he wasn’t sure Idris could open a film. Guess they were wrong.

I really liked the book. Movies are never better than the book and I’ve seen Denzel screw up a favorite of mine. I don’t care for his other movies much but, I’m going to give this one a shot. You can’t be great at everything so, I hope he takes this in stride and continues to try to be a better him in whatever he does.

I’m not surprised the movie wasn’t great. Honestly, Alex Cross is one of the WORST books in the Alex Cross series. I might go see it though.

How do you go from Morgan Freeman to Tyler Perry? SMH

33. KatMan says:

Tyler Perry’s issue is trying to go STRAIGHT from Madea to an action star. It’s hard to see him as anything other than Madea.

He should have taken small, serious roles and got the audience accustomed to seeing him as someone else before taking on such a big flick.

Plus that really unfortunate & atrocious lace front wig he wore in the movie didn’t help.

Additionally, why does he NEED this? He’s director, producer, playwright, executive producer, song writer, casting coucher, actor in his own films… Is it greed to take roles from other black actors who have the ability, but not the opportunity?

34. KatMan says:

I made my TP comment in the wrong damn post. let me email tra and have her delete it.

Alot of people think Alex Cross should have been played by Idris Elba

• BrownGirl says:

Alot of people think Alex Cross should have been played by Idris Elba
      **************
      Cosign!

• HarlemGirl says:

Hate to say (wait no I don’t) but I knew it!!! For the life of me i can’t understand why he was selected to play this part……it just reminded me of Madea in a suit. & if this is “winning”, I’d hate to see what losing is like. I’m sure the movie would had done much better if Idris Elba would had played the role…..

36. Tori says:

I knew the movie was in trouble when there wasn’t that many views on the official trailer welp!

Idris was damn smart not to take this role because the movie itself sucked. And the fact that Tyler can’t actually act didn’t help it. I hope he can continue to branch out with better material at least.

As soon as Tyler Perry (and friends) come to the realization that he CANNOT act, the world will be a better place.

• Kayla says:

———————————–
      i think tp can act and that he’s very talented. god bless him.

Shiiddd …I thought Alex Cross was a movie about a man coming out as a cross dresser.

gotta see it for myself.