Connecticut town wants to remain all white!

August 7, 2012 by The ReadyWriter

They want the nice houses, with the manicured lawns and white picket fences in their all white communities. This was the goal of the Housing Authority in Winchester, CT. and by doing so, it’s Housing Authority “systematically and unlawfully” discriminated against minorities in its administration of a federal housing subsidy program.

That’s right, the town of Winchester, Connecticut, discriminated against Blacks and Latinos by giving housing vouchers to mostly white people, this was the town’s way of “ensuring that overwhelmingly White communities remain overwhelmingly White.

As a result, Crystal Carter, an African-American woman, and the Connecticut Fair Housing Center sued the town’s Housing Authority last Wednesday. Carter alleges in the lawsuit that the Winchester Housing Authority refused to even mail her a Section 8 voucher application because she did not meet their residency requirements as a Hartford resident. Carter, an African-American single mother of six and domestic violence survivor, has been forced to live in homeless shelters and “other unstable environments” in Hartford because she could not find good housing, according to the lawsuit.

The Winchester Housing Authority plans to change its policies in light of the lawsuit. But let’s not be fooled people, there are a lot of economically segregated cities in America; Winchester is just the latest to get caught.

78 thoughts on “Connecticut town wants to remain all white!

so they would rather have the girl and her kids sleep on the street than give her housing because she was black? SMH Wow..

Not surprised. White people will do anything to keep blacks oppressed in this country. From giving us the lowest salaries to discrimating against us so we don’t get ahead. Not surprised at all.

• BrownGirl says:

———————————————

so we gon throw the whole race under the bus because of the actions of some? IDT that’s fair. @Bobby.

I’m glad this woman is going to make an example out of these people.

When will America wake up and realize that “All men are created equal”? Discrimination has got to stop! It’s never OK to say one race is superior to another!

5. Tammy says:

we shall overcome someday.

6. 2Thick says:

sad 😦 but good they got caught!!!!

these are the 1960’s all over again. black man in the white house and racist biggots coming alive and living well.

See…discrimination is everywhere..it always was. How disappionting.

9. yes says:

When you lock people out due to residency requirements in the first place it’s pretty difficult to be able to apply for the Section 8 voucher. Redlining has been around for a very long time and has only gotten worse over the years. I believe this woman has a significant case to make. Let’s see how amenable the courts are to addressing this disparity in a fair and honest manner.

10. zion says:

Section 8 is a federal program so I assume she will be fighting this in federal court. Tracy does not specify in her post, which leaves out a significant piece of the story. We know there is significant discrimination around the country. How she will fight this battle in court is the key to resolving it.

11. sane says:

they wanna remain all white huh? a bunch a blacks and puerto ricans should drive to winchester and rain shit all over their “all white town” and shit all over their lawns. fuck them.

this shit happening in 2012 is unreal.

Some of y’all love to pull the race card.
    Wanna talk discrimination? Ok, lets talk about Black Entertainment Television, (BET), and The United Negro College Fund.

By the way, I see many all black neighborhoods.
    Enough with the race card already.

Who’s really keeping the separation alive anyway. I have a great idea. Keep identifying yourself by the color of your skin and accuse anyone else for noticing.

Adam,
      No one is pulling the race card…Not that read anyway but the difference is…that many white people can live wherever they want…I highly doubt people in lower and middle income “predominately black neighborhoods” would band together to keep out a white resident OUT…where as you see the difference in this town in CT.

Adam,
      you always take shit personally. stop commenting with yur emotions dude.

• Kayla says:

Adam, discrimination is real don’t be angry @ the reality of it boo it’s not necessary.

• BBallen says:

—————
      Adam, WTF kinda sense do you make? BET and UNCF ain’t got shit to do with discrimination or racism. And how dare you even compare BET with UNCF GTFOH

• Cameo1 says:

Some of y’all love to pull the race card.
      Wanna talk discrimination?
      ———————————

This post ain’t about you. are u a hit dog? cause they the only ones who holla.

Wonder how much the homes are in that town? by the time this black woman is paid she may own one.

What??? CT being one of the most liberal states in the USA allowing a city to practice racism? Gasp…where’s the media scrutiny been for all these years? wow unreal smh

morning fam

17. Applebottom says:

so that mean all the whites there (CT) are using the section 8 just like it’s more of them on welfare and SSI than us. Mm Hm

this is a damn shame but i’m so glad the lawsuit exposes them.

reading stuff like this makes me angry it’s bad enuff the sista was already struggling and this H.A. worked overtime to keep her struggling and sleeping in shelters n shit. i hope she sues the shit outta them to compensate for the aggravation if nothing else.

20. alscream says:

dayum!!!

they wanna keep us out their neighborhoods and keep us segragated. sad. let’s see if justice will be served when she take it to court.

22. FloridaGirl says:

this is sad and discouraging but believe it or not it’s happening everywhere. ft. lauderdale, fl. same way.

23. keisha says:

I’m so glad they got busted and this black women stayed on their asses. plus she got 6 kids. they really didn’t want her in their town. not that it’s right but hell, i see 6 kids in a restaurant and don’t wanna sit near them. no thank you.

• Anonymous says:

• keisha says:

Im sure people said the same thing when your mom brought you out to dinner also ..—> Ha-Ha-Ha-..SHUT UP!!..I’m not a kid and my mama didn’t have 6 kids..and when I was (a kid) I knew how to act @ dinner unlike most of these rude, wild, unruly rugrats folks raising today

24. Mrs. says:

Everyone deserve equal rights. keeping a race out of a community or town is racist as fuck! Good for her for suing.

RACIST!!!
    WOW!!

26. Ebony says:

ah ha they got caught being prejudice!!!!
    now let’s see how the courts will handle it. and if she gets mo justice in ct. i would take it to the highest court in the land.

27. man says:

6 kids and drama from a man who was whoopin dat ass? hails NO they didn’t want her in their lily white town…she is the epidamy of the ghetto blacks and latinos they wanna keep out. fucked up? yeah but true.

28. gee says:

I don’t agree with the discrimination but I do understand them being selective. I am black and the family next door to me is on section 8. I’m paying a $1300 mortgage and they could at least cut thier yard, trim the trees, something! On top of that, they sit out in the car and smoke weed late at night (and I call the police everytime). Every house in the neighborhood is taken care of but that one. Makes me mad!!! They could at least take pride in thier neighborhood and try to keep the place nice like it was when they moved in. I guess since they only pay $25 a month and it is not thiers they don’t care. Not all section 8 people are like this but I understand they want to be selective to keep the neighborhood up.

• adrianepage says:

——————-
      Exactly!!! This is why they don’t want SOME of us in their neighborhoods. They think/feel we don’t want nothing therefore won’t take care of nothing.

• QueenC says:

*********************
        COSIGN! they sound str8 ghetto. but I have some white neighbors who demonstrate that same behaivor so are they (prejudice folk) tryna keep them (their own kind) out of their lily white neighborhoods as well.? I’m sure there are some section 8 white people who are not as clean too.

I don’t agree with the discrimination but I do understand them being selective.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        But how will they know HOW to be selective??? They could let a whitey IN and find out they are just as bad/or WORST than the black or latino family they discriminated against…I mean really.

• Felicia says:

I agree @ladies but it’s all strereotypical IMO. Black people ‘SOME’ are looked upon as ghetto. and this chile with her 6 kids out of an abusive relationship didn’t stand a chance. they had judged her far in advance.

• Anthony says:

____________________

They on Section-8? it’s the landlord’s job to maintain the property not the tenant. But at the same time they need to ride the landlord about the up-keep of his property too.

29. adrianepage says:

There is a pro and a con to this argument. Some minorities won’t take care of what’s not their own. when we rent we can be careless and lazy about where we live and don’t give a shit. Now I’ll never side with discrimination but this is the mentality some (of the other color) have when trying to keep their neighborhoods and communities segragated. that’s all i’m sayin.

Discrimination is wrong period.

They (The H.A. of Winchime CT) tryna keep they town negroe free bottom line.

They (The H.A. of Winchime CT) tryna keep they town negroe free bottom line.
      ———————
      Then they should post a sign @ the entrance to their town…“welcome to winchester, ct home of all whities and nigga free”

with 6 kids they considered her ghetto and on welfare from the door. 😦 sad but true.

nah they want her living in hartford or middletown but black wih 6 kids..not winchester.

wow this story is something else. i wonder how she found out they kept blacks out? unrea!!!!!l i hope things work in her favor and she prove the stereotypes wrong.

new post up. Tra gonna be on blog talk radio tonight y’all.

36. SoldierOne says:

Damn shame. IDC how many kids she have either.

why am NOT SHOCKED!!!!!!

LMAO @ the white pickett fence.