Prayer… how has it impacted women in history? on “Conversations Of A Sistah”

March 16, 2016 by The ReadyWriter

Woman Among Lit Votive Candles

Woman Among Lit Votive Candles

Many women in history have contributed their success and many achievements to the power of prayer. Although African slaves worked the cotton fields picking cotton, many times they could be heard singing hymns of praise and prayer despite the hardship from working “sun up until sun down” on different slave plantations. Regardless of their sufferings, trials and tribulations they believed in the power of prayer.

Historically, African-American people have been known to be very spiritual. From the old Negro spirituals sung during slavery, to using prayer as a catalyst for divine intervention during the civil rights movement.

Do you believe prayer is divine intervention? How has prayer sustained your well being or those women from your generation?

11988241_1022678271090085_4166327866448807571_nJoin me tonight at 6:30 p.m. EST on “Conversations Of A Sistah” via blog talk radio as we continue to celebrate Women’s History month, where my special guest on this topic is the awesome Ms. Karen B. Tucker (pictured right), writer, activist and author of the children’s book “Brown Little Me” a poem designed to celebrate and appreciate the blessing of having brown skin.

All “Conversation links” make it possible to access the show.

See you on the air!

140 thoughts on “Prayer… how has it impacted women in history? on “Conversations Of A Sistah”

This post reminds me of a song my grandmamma use to sing:: “Somebody prayed for me, had me on there mind” “Took the time and prayed for me” “I’m so glad they prayed” “I’m so glad they prayed” “I’m so glad they prayed for me”

Morning 🙂

Tuning in because Lawd knows my grandmother and my mama was some praying women.

• PookieNem says:

I don’t know a grandmamma who didn’t pray O_o

• 2thick4you says:

I don’t know a grandmamma who didn’t pray
      ********
      Please!!!!! The grandmothers of today are BIG MAMA’S these young grand mamas now are competing with their own daughters for the spot light and a man. Gone are the praying women in the kitchen wearing aprons with some wisdom. Some of these grandmothers don’t wanna be grandmother’s because their too busy running the streets. Smh.

————-
      Chile grandmothers today are not even 60 and 70 no more. they’re more like 20 30 and 40 O_o

• QueenC says:

Tuning in because Lawd knows my grandmother and my mama was some praying women.
      *******
      CoSign!!!

3. PookieNem says:

Good show topics Ms. Bell. 🙂 for Women’s History month.

4. SoldierBoy says:

With all due RESPECT for Women’s History Month, men pray too.

Tuning in 😛

A man is powerful on his knees.

I never really knew how to maximize prayer. should be an interesting dialogue with these powerful women.

8. 2thick4you says:

I know there were some praying women in my family that I “thank God for”….they are the very reason I’m alive today.

9. Henrietta says:

Who is the source of power behind prayer? Is my question O_o

Prayer is a powerful tool that takes faith for those who believe that their prayers will come to fruition regardless the outcome. Another GREAT Conversation topic.

Powerful yet useful topic for I COULD NOT LIVE HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR PRAYER!! Praise God!

what gets me is, some people think praying is all about making a wish. Like God is some kind of a genie who grants wishes when it’s not even like that. prayer to me is about our relationship with God. And yes had it not been for prayer a lot of our ancestors would not have been able to keep their sanity on some of those slave plantations working for their massa picking cotton!

• Ashanti says:

Evidently prayer is not about making a wish, had it been slavery would of neva existed. I’m sure somebody’s mama was praying before her daughter, granddaughter and sons were about to be lynched by slave owners but were lynched anyways. where was God and prayer then?

• Cameo says:

Ashanti prayer, the bible and Christianity is the white man’s religion, black folk was trained to be Christians by their slave masters. and they did that shit with respect and fear. Now prayer might’ve sustain women in history but maybe God switched sides at one point ion know.

• Coco says:

Yeah some slaves better not be caught praying for freedom. The bible was used to intimidate them and teach them how to be fearful and obedient. it’s crazy but true.

• Ashanti says:

so slaves couldn’t pray? and if they did, who were they praying too?

slaves didn’t expect anything but they prayed anyway. smh 😥 it’s sad if you read some of the things they endured. read and research you’ll get the answers you seek Ashanti.

• Anthony says:

Not all slaves were Christian, nor were all those who accepted Christianity members of a church, but the doctrines, symbols, and vision of life preached by Christianity were familiar to most because of their slave masters.

• Kayla says:

Slaves were forbidden by masters to attend church or, in some cases, even to pray, and they risked floggings to attend secret gatherings to worship God. Religion was ok to slaves as long as their slaves master were imparting it. so can you imagine what their prayers were probably like?

• BBallen says:

Y’all do know there were two classes of slaves existed: a purchased slave, and a slave born in the master’s home.

I believe prayer is essential to see real and lasting change in the world. As we have sought God in prayer and fasting we are supposed to see change, I guess when we don’t those prayers are not effectual. Prayer needs to be effectual.

Tracy is a trip! She goes from talking about Good Dack to praying? O_o she got a brother twisted.

Chile some women still praying.

I think praying works if you know how to work it in this day and age. As for our slaves and ancestors they might’ve prayed for freedom and that freedom came in the form of dying but who can 4get how they suffered before that. this topic is a slippery slope but it wouldn’t be “Conversations with a sistah” if it wasn’t.

17. Mrs says:

I thank God for my praying mother and grandmother. They were are still are great women with a lasting legacy.

Is prayer even real??? O_o

Is prayer even real???
      ******
      Have you ever tried it? Be sure you tune in and hopefully you’ll get that answer.

• ManUp says:

Is prayer even real???
      ******
      Tamala you should ask ya grandmother that question if she’s still around. seriously?

Slaves were not even allowed to pray. They couldn’t even read the Bible just because they couldn’t read. And God forbid they were caught praying against their slave masters they might’ve been killed by hanging or beaten to death. But there were a lot of women in our history who thrived off of their beliefs in prayer and hopefully Tracy will name a few.

20. Mittsey says:

For Christians Prayer is not simply an exercise of the spirit. Prayer is a declaration of faith. You gotta have faith. and to me that’s the hardest part.

21. Mittsey says:

That’s a beautiful picture up top.

Tracy slaves had to sneak and pray that’s why a lot of their prayers became songs while they were in the cotton fields.
    Interesting topic though.

• AppleBottom says:

Not only that Queen but slaves were severely punished if they were caught having any kind of religious meetings among themselves or with other slaves. and the slave knew that the master’s religion did not countenance prayers for his slaves. That understanding was made very clear.

• Zenna says:

************
        True but because they were unable to read the Bible for themselves and skeptical of their masters’ interpretation of it, most slaves learned the message of the Christian gospel and translated it into songs in terms of their own experience. But Tracy only used this as the base for tonight’s subject.

I’m seeing this post started the talk/conversation about slaves. O_o should I stay or should I go? I’m sure the show will go in another direction altogether.

Slaves couldn’t read or write and a slave preacher had to preach what that massa told him and he would tell them “kneegrows iffen they obeys the massa they goes to Heaven” period. It was all about intimidating them.

• Zenna says:

Yes!! YES!!! The slave preacher was known as the “mouthpiece of the masters” But knowing Tracy I don’t believe this will be her focus on this subject tonight. I doubt it. we’ll see.

25. Princess says:

The bottom line is this:::: Is there Power in a praying woman? I’m tuning in expecting to hear just that. 😛

26. Miss Ang says:

Shit the women on this blog are a powerful force within itself ;P

If nothing else I’m sure slaves prayed or freedom. Especially the women. seeing their family’s being sold off, their men beaten and raped. Trust me the shit slaves endured was deeper than what’s depicted on TV and in the movies. even if they didn’t know how to pray after so much pain and suffering that shit probably came naturally. Tuning in Ms. Bell.

• Adam says:

Also, the female slaves were at times forced into prostitution for the benefit of their masters. I CoSign you BBallen, Slaves suffered brutal punishments

• BrownGirl says:

Slave women were required mainly as concubines and menials. Their masters were entitled by law to the sexual enjoyment of his slave women as much as he pleased. Wonder if Tracy think those women were praying then?

• Ebony says:

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        It was nothing for the slave master to have his Lilly white wife and enjoy his black slave woman as his concubine. How you think our blood was mixed? These stories can go and on and if you read up on slavery and the laws throughout history it would instill some real hatred in you toward white folk I tell you that much.

28. Alscream says:

That chick was da what??? TRUFF.com
    Hell I’m going to pray right now O_o

Karen Oh gawd I love her….

she made you wanna believe.

31. Floridagirl says:

Tracy great guest. I like her FIRE!! Her energy.
    she’s real. she was good great show as always

32. bobby says:

Good show Ms. Tra

I was wondering if she’s coming out with another book?

she’s sexy. Mm

35. Val says:

good show strong guest but I remember hearing her b4. I like her better on real issues like these. she sound like an activist 4real

36. Val says:

when she was on the show for the 1st time back in BH 2 years ago I believe, she was a little more reserved.

37. Princess says:

Prayer does change things!
    Good show Tracy Karen was good. sistah broke it down. You can build your altar anywhere.

• Daisy says:

Princess she blew my mind when she said “some people to church their whole lives and never establish a relationship with god” I was like BAM that’s th truth

38. Princess says:

Tracy gave us a hearty shout-out people. 😛

• Yasha says:

Tracy gave us a hearty shout-out people.
      *******
      @Princess, I know that’s why I listen in 😛

• CorporateBitch says:

Tracy gave us a hearty shout-out people.
      *******
      always that’s OUR gurl

• Katman says:

Tracy gave us a hearty shout-out people.
      *******
      The guest did too. she’s deep. I think that she and Tracy have the same passion, which is why Trace keep having her on.

• Lilly says:

she did say that she and Tra are on a different level. I liked her. she’s a speaker fareal.

Tracy Ms. Karen Tucker, sound so down to earth! I like her and enjoyed the conversation. It was like hearing two girlfriends ponder on prayer. awesome!

I just heard the show. I wanted to hear it this morning because I caught the end last night. Mm! Great commentary on prayer and Ms. Tucker is right in saying, some people never establish relationships with God but with the pastor, their mother. she was awesome!!

Good morning good show!!

I enjoyed the show. Tracy always have it goin ON & POPPIN

43. Katman says:

I like that Trace said “Prayer s personal” 🙂 she has a sexy voice. Mm she does…..I can listen to her over and over and over again.

44. Katman says:

Can we get that opening song. Damn that’s the shit!!!

45. Lilly says:

“Accept that your higher power adores you”!!!! Karen Tucker on COS

• Gabriella says:

I liked when she said “when we say our prayers weren’t answered what are we really saying?” “That God didn’t give you that man?” Oh Lawd I hollered.

“Where did we get it from that death is bad? ~ I’m NOT saying Go kill yourself listeners” 😆 Sheesh she killed it!

• Gabriella says:

She added humor to her dialogue with Blog Queen 🙂 she was good. 🙂

• Joanne says:

Ok we quotin her? “I don’t buy into what the studies say about what we can or can’t do based on our age” “Women are the givers of life ~ we are Gods, we are STRONG” Loved her!!!

Really y’all? Ok I’m going to hear the rewind now b4 this comment section shuts down!

We are an amazing bunch!!!!!!! 😛

I gotta still listen to the show….. the last 2 conversations just threw me for such a loop I was still on the “power of the pipe/penis” high LOL 😛 Ok let me get it 2gether for some prayer. Tracy taking us up, down and all around on these subjects. 🙂 Sheesh!

At one point it seemed as if Tracy and Karen were in their own little world and we were eavesdropping their conversation. The show was interesting indeed.

Hell I made sure I said my prayers last night. LOL!!