October 4, 2013 by The ReadyWriter

Miriam Carey

A Connecticut woman who was shot and killed by Capitol Police in Washington, D.C. Thursday may have suffered from postpartum depression and paranoid delusions.

Miriam carey, a 34-year-old dental hygienist, was shot after she rammed a gate on the southeast side of the White House on Thursday.

According to a NBC report, Carey believed President Obama was stalking her.

Her mother, Idella Carey, told ABC News Carey suffered from postpartum depression after giving birth to her daughter Erica last year.

The 1-year-old girl was in the back seat of Carey’s black Nissan Infinity sedan when she drove 270 miles from her home in suburban Stamford.

Witnesses say Carey plowed her car into a barrier near the White House, hitting a Secret Service officer who tried to wave her down. The impact sent him flying over the car’s hood. The Secret Service officer sustained minor injuries.

Capitol Police officers opened fire on the car as Carey sped off. She led Capitol Police on a high-speed chase through the streets of Washington, D.C. One officer was injured when he lost control of his cruiser and slammed into a concrete barrier.

Moments later, Carey rammed her car into a gate near the U.S. Capitol. Police surrounded the car and fired a dozen rounds into the vehicle.

Carey was pronounced dead at a D.C. hospital. Miraculously little Erica was not injured. She is in the care of child protective services.

32 thoughts on “Dental Hygienist Who Rammed Car into White House Gate Thought Obama Was Stalking Her

1. Tammy says:

If u not doin anything wrong, u dont take off like that… Suicide by cop I guess

More will come of this. Someone just doesn’t get in their car, drive 270 through Ny, Philly, and DC traffic and do “suicide by cop”… Something set her off… Sad the baby was in the car 😦

That’s a long ride and a lot of time to think about what you’re about to do. I wouldn’t know anything about postpartum but it’s sad she decided to put the baby through that.

I feel like this is a classic case of mis-communication and overreacting when you can not have your way. As her former employer inferred, she was very oppositional and defiant. I think when the cops surrounded her she panicked because at that point the shit just got real.

If u not doin anything wrong, u dont take off like that…you askin to be killed actin like that.

6. princessc697 says:

Something is missing here.. that woman was on a mission and nobody was getting in her way.. something ticked her off but we won’t ever know the “why” since she is dead.. 😦

I just hate that she took the baby with her.. I :pray: that little girl gets the love and care she will need after being through something like this

I feel bad for the little girl

9. Pamela says:

Praise God the baby was unharmed

10. Harlem says:

This is so sad…..nobody couldn’t talk her out of this? Wow.

Mental illness is real people.
    Didn’t this girl have to be a bit more than just angry or short tempered to take things this far? I wonder if they tried shooting out the tires to her car? It’s a miracle that baby girl didn’t get shot, too. (sighs)

I believe she just got lost and got scared 😦

• Jamilla says:

I believe she just got lost and got scared
      r u serious? she got lost and scared after driving 270 miles? Then she led 20 police cars on a high speed chase over 10 city blocks after attempting to ram 2 barricades?gtfoh!!
      It’s amazing how people ignore the facts when they’re trying to rationalize someone’s actions.

• Henrietta says:

I agree that she didn;t need to drive 270 miles to get killed if suicide was on her mind.

It is sad. 😦

We will never know the whole details sadly.

• AlScream says:

She’s a black woman in America….she didn’t have to drive 270 miles from home to get shot by the cops, hell she could have did that 2 blocks from the house. Naw it’s something more to this, self-entitled post-partaum depression my arse.

• Kayla says:

———-
        Hello!

13. AlScream says:

I think that baby gon be traumatized for life!

• Lilly says:

I think that baby gon be traumatized for life!
      ———
      Only if an insensitive kid or adult tells her how her mama died.

I think that baby gon be traumatized for life!
        ———
        She’s 1. Her brain is still developing and her memory isn’t formed yet. She won’t remember a thing.

• Browngirl says:

I think that baby gon be traumatized for life!
        ———
        I do expect the young baby to have mental side effects from this experience.

I do expect the young baby to have mental side effects from this experience. I’d grow up being depressed and mental If I witnessed my mother get shot dead from the back seat of a small coupe. What a vicious cycle.

Post pardom doesnt fit i was watching the footage on gma maybe she just got lost and got scared when all the police came swarming at her. I dont think she was a mad woman on a mission at all

15. Lilly says:

When a 2,000+ machine coming at you, you don’t have time to check for occupants. Unfortunate. Glad baby is okay

I can’t believe they opened fire on the car. They could have killed the baby in the back seat. SMH

Sadly, I think she panicked when she got stopped.

• Jamilla says:

Sadly, I think she panicked when she got stopped.
      ______________
      She led police on a high speed chase involving 20 police cars. I don’t call that panicking. I’m pretty sure she did that deliberately.

These things will be happening more and more frequently.
    America is eating its self from the inside out.

I don’t have much fear because I am aware of whats to come. My heart just feels for those that are not.

The people on Capitol Hill are some of the more entitled brats if I ever seen one. They are all throwing tantrums, pointing fingers and not taking responsible. The general public ends up suffering because of their childlike acts. This paid government vacation they are getting is ridiculous. Many are already going paycheck to paycheck.

20. Browngirl says:

When I heard that the woman driver was killed I knew she was black.

The media/government exaggerate alot to distract us and turn out attention to what they want us to see and know.

Sadly, I think she panicked when she got stopped. But still she could have then pulled over and given up. Her baby was in the car. That little girl could have been screaming and crying out of all the noise and high speed the car was going.

22. Katman says:

she fell down some stairs then found out she was pregnant? Isnt that something women do when they are trying to lose a child? something aint right here

Whatever set her off placed her in overdrive.