“Ending The Father’s Absence” Tonight on “Conversation Of A Sistah”

June 12, 2013 by The ReadyWriter

Book Cover 037

The plight of the African-American culture is the absentee father. Those father’s missing in the household with those mother’s who’ve fathered their children or those males who do not co-parent with the women they’ve procreated children. Children need to see father’s active in their lives, male children specifically and this is quite evident in the lack of male participation from black fathers in our communities. Black women always take on the leadership role for solving problems that plague black America.

If the black man is absent, he is either incarcerated, un-interested, slothful or angry. While the plight of black America cover a broad spectrum of issues, such as; fatherhood, religion, single parent families, crime and black males in prison; where is the black man’s perspective on these issues?

With Father’s Day coming up this Sunday (June 16th) and being the highlight this month, it’s raining Men on “Conversations Of A Sistah”.

Join me tonight June 12, 2013 at 8:00 PM as I’m joined by my special guest, Mr. Kenneth L. Osborne (pictured above), Director of Risk Reduction Services for the Tennessee Department of Correction, former Warden of Sheridan Correctional Center in Chicago, Illinois and Author of When Mama is Daddy: The Male Crisis and Challenge of Ending Father Absence.

You can access the show via “Conversations Live” or any of the “Conversations links” in this email.

We ask that you send all topic related questions to the show at conversations@optonline.net

See you on the air!

145 thoughts on ““Ending The Father’s Absence” Tonight on “Conversation Of A Sistah”

Tra you shole burnin the midnite oil ain’t U?
    Looks like another good show.

Trace whaddup? i’ll be tuned in…do this brotha some justice. 😆

shit i’m glad to see Trace interviewing a brother. I was getting scared there for a minute.

4. Yes says:

Nice looking guy. Tuning in to hear the SPIN on this subject.
    Yo why y’all checkin the Ceo at 3:30 in na morning?

5. Zion says:

Good show. I agree with you Trace there a crises against my male brothas out here.
    You either educate em or incarcerate them.

Morning Fam.
    Guess we’ll be tuning into another good show.

My mother was a single parent so…Dude’s title sound interesting of course I’ll be tuned in people.

8. AlScream says:

This is an epidemic in the black community and high time it be addressed. a lot of boys are fucked up because they father’s left along time ago.

He’s handsome 😆 is he married? Whatz dude’s status? Now I gotta tune in to hear how he sound. Well I’m tuning in anyway.

Great Topic!!! Tuning in and Happy Father’s Day to those Ceo men who are daddy’s 😆

Can I just wait, hear dude and then comment after the show.

this topic is so needed.

This is a very strong epidemic in the black community. Absentee father’s at an all time high.

Handsome guest 😆 Can’t wait to hear the show Tra

Daddies aren’t equipped to deal with a lot of issues happening in the home.

16. Browngirl says:

Lord bless this man I know he’s wise can’t wait to hear him.

17. Ebonyeyes says:

My daddy ain’t my daddy 😆

18. Floridagirl says:

Trace I love your shows!!!! And I know this will be a good topic. Black men absent in the home is an issue. so bring it K.O!!!

Enough is enough.!!! Black men are needed.

I wonder how old this dude is? He’s nice looking and I’ll be tuned in. 😆

21. UncleEd says:

not every absent father stays away this will be a good show.

22. Pamela says:

When Mama is Daddy: <<—— That's a deep and powerful title cuz there are so many women as head of households today it's like well damn where are the men? You would think a space ship came down and took them n shit. tunin in 2nite for this convo.

I think I want that book.

Dude look like he know his shit! Gotta tune in to hear him.

25. Cameo says:

Yeah it seems like gone are the days where you have Father’s in the home. All these women raising kids alone yet they didn’t them alone.

26. CeoDawg says:

Many fathers check out of their children’s lives because they don’t feel like the hassle of having bad conversations or drama with the mothers. They would rather avoid the conflict than have unpleasant conversations, fights, etc. so i’m looking forward to the dialogue on tonite’s show. plus dude look like he’s seasoned on the subject.

27. Xmen says:

“Former Warden of Sheridan Correctional Center in Chicago, Illinois”

Whoa! So dude held the key to locking niggaz up. Oh hell yeah let me send Trace my questions now.

• PointMen says:

@X, …I saw that. A black man running things. I’m really curious to know if that’s where he got the title of his book from seeing a lota women holding it down in the place of fathers.

• Shawnia says:

Fellas,
        I’m thinking fathers being absent in the home could be the basis as to why so many young black men end up incarcerated. In which case, Mr. Osborne was in a position to see that 1st hand.

• Omar says:

So dude held the key to locking niggaz up.
      ——-
      I got nothing but RESPECT for him. This dude look sharp and like he’s paid his dues big time. Can’t wait to hear this show.

28. Marcie says:

Mr. Kenneth Osborne is such an awesome man of God with a vision to help confront and conquer one of many major issues that plague our society of today. His new book, When Mama is Daddy: The Male Crisis and Challenge of Ending Father Absence is definitely a MUST READ!!!!

I had the pleasure to be one of the first individuals to receive a signed copy of his new book. :-). I must say that the book provides profound insight on the topic of diminishing father absence. Single mothers raising their children alone, particuarly their sons, can obtain knowledge on how to accomplish a stable, healthy environment for them, and for those men who want to be active in their child/children’s lives but have difficulty with stepping to the plate due to various circumstances or happenstances this book will offer you the tools on how this can be done.

• Daisy says:

Wow @ Marcie,
      Thanks for the insight as I am always looking forward to Tracy’s show but now that you’ve given us a heads up regarding Mr. Osborne, we’ll kind a know what to expect. I have sooo many questions for Mr. Osborne so I’m about to email Tracy and the show now.

• Anonymous says:

You are most certainly welcome. His interview tonight will be very informative and will exceed your expectations; trust me! 🙂

• QueenC says:

You ain’t neva lied!!! He was awesome!!!!!!

• Rezzie says:

“Mr. Kenneth Osborne is such an awesome man of God”

That statement alone speaks a multitude for me above anything else that’s was said.

• Yasha says:

So @ Marcie, sounds like we need to get that book??

• Anonymous says:

Yes, I would strongly recommend that you do so. After listening tonight, you will have a strong desire to want to learn more about the topic. The information discussed in his book is not just based off of second hand information but also based on personal experiences and/or challenges he had to endure and eventually overcome as well.

• CoCo says:

“For those of you who decide to tune in to the show tonight, you will not be disappointed. Mr. Osborne’s humble spirit and devoted passion regarding this topic of “Ending Father Absence” will captivate you and encourage you to want to help join him and others on this journey to diminish father absence.”

Beautifully stated….Thank you for this. 😆

Marcie,
      Um Wassup…Are you his P.R. person or what? Either that or you’re his biggest fan 😆

• Anonymous says:

LOL, maybe after your inquiry he may consider hiring me as his P.R. ;-). I would consider myself one of his biggest fans! I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Osborne some months ago when he became reacquainted with a Department I am employed with. He disclosed that he was an author so I asked if he would provide me with some insight about his book. He did so and during our dialogue I discerned that he truly had an annointing on his life to be able to minister to multitudes of people because of his honesty and transparency. He was very humble, witty, and zealous regarding his vision for his book. During our conversation, he never made any of his accomplishments about him. He expressed that God was truly the mastermind behind it all and he was just a willing vessel, and our conversation ended with him telling me if there was anything he could do to assist me to let him know; he never once asked anything from me. That is an individual I can speak highly of and appreciate! *I apologize for the mini blog…but you did ask.* LOL

• Miss Ang says:

marcie, thank you we heard for ourselves. he did not disappoint.

“When Mama is Daddy” —>>>> That title alone clearly states how women are playing two roles in their households and for their children…Too may women are taking on the role of the man and IT HAS TO STOP!!!!! Can’t wait to hear this gentlemen.

Some men find it difficult to maintain contact with their kids when they begin dating or get married. For them, new dating or marital relationships mean their children see them less. And new booty always change things. 😆

31. BillyBoy says:

Incarceration takes fathers away from many children. I see it daily in my work in the prison system. Drug abuse also is a reason why many fathers leave their children. The drug abuse and incarceration are often very closely related, as one often leads to the other.

32. SoldierBoy says:

Great Topic Tra:::
    Father absence has many causes. Addressing the causes of father absence can help fathers learn how to maintain relationships with their children, even when the relationship between the parents has failed.

When we address father absence to help keep more fathers in their children’s lives, we can have a positive impact not only on the lives of those individual families and children, but also on our communities.

33. SoldierBoy says:

Tracy “Thank you” for highlighting “Men’s Month” here on the Conversations Of A Sistah/Ceo Blog. I’m delighted knowing how you’re NOT BIAS!!!! I LUV you for that.

Children need their fathers. Point…Blank…Period!

Tuning in to hear Mr. Osborn. He sounds like he’s been well groomed for this title based upon his previous and current positions.

Tracy K.O. Said::: “Dads who leave their families are the reason children end up in jail, parents at a young age, and strung out on drugs, says author Kenneth L. Osborne.

Please confirm this.

It’s high time these men, young and old answer, respond to, and appropriately address this issue of a father’s absence in the home. And for those men in this situation, you should really tune in.

Dayum!!!!!!
    He use to be a warden at a prison? I need to know what that was like? What kind of system did he run? Can’t wait to hear this show. And yes I’ve sent in my questions to Trace.

39. Lilly says:

Y’all remember that “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” show when Will’s father kept lying to him and putting him off? “How came he don’t want me man?” Y’all remember that?? the father’s absence was an issue then not as widely popular as it is now though. But it’s the same thing.

• Kayla says:

Lilly
      When the episode debuted in May 1994, the “how come he don’t want me, man?” scene/episode was the subject of intense buzz and community conversation. Both touching and emblematic, Will’s monologue gave voice to many viewers whose own absent or semi-absent father situations were similar…And here we are 19 years later with the same issue. It’s sad.

• Lilly says:

Kayla,
        Yes and Uncle Phil’s silent gesture of support, affection, and understanding was equally buzzed about. Too often, when a child faces a parental rejection, there’s no Uncle Phil present to embrace him.

Kayla i remember that episode, very emotional. 😦

As the child grows older, most parents agree, it is imperative to let him or her form his own opinion about the absent parent. Talking negatively about the parent to the child is always a bad idea — even in the interest of “truth-telling.” Find a way to explain why the parent is not present without vilification.

Yes @Random,
      and we all know how some of these mothers bad mouth their babies daddies.

• Donte says:

we all know how some of these mothers bad mouth their babies daddies.
        ********
        Nicole that’s why some are the father’s are absent the relationship with the mama’s have gone bad. Smh.

No matter what the situations are, make certain you (and every adult in your child’s life) understands that, even if a father is completely disengaged, the child is not “unwanted.” Point out often how much you love and appreciated your child.

42. DHood says:

If the relationship is fucked up from the jump the kids doesn’t even stand a chance.

was his father absent? is my only question.

My question to Tra’s guest: Doesn’t a father’s absence effect a woman’s emotional development?

• 2Thick4U says:

woman’s emotional development? –> good question!!!

Doesn’t a father’s absence effect a woman’s emotional development?

Exactly!!! That was my thing too, so many women are messed up behind their fathers not being there and it effects their relationship with men. Dr. Osborne ripped it! I truly, truly, enjoyed that man.

45. Harlem says:

Waiting until after the show before commenting 😆 so i’ll be back.

A Warden? Mm. Ok I’m loggin in now.

Book sounds compelling can’t wait to hear him. loggin in now.

ok i’m digging him already…dude is DEEPER than deep.

Full warden @ sheriden……DAYUM!!!! —- Prison looked like a college campus.

WoW!!!
    My mind is blown FAM.

“Child support does not mentally sustain the child nor is the value only attached to the dollar amount”

Dr. Kenneth Osbourne

Strong bad ass black man!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fell in love with his theory, his work, his conversation with Tracy and her asking all the RIGHT questions. 🙂

I liked how he ran his prison I’m wondering if he needed security?

“If you wanna continue gang-banging and getting high FINE but you can’t do it here”

He was good. 😆

I loved, loved, loved tonight’s show!!!!

Esp. how Tracy started calling him DOCTOR….He was an expert on his subject. Now who’s getting the book?

55. Henrietta says:

Mr./Dr. Osborne had me crying 😥 my father has been absent and when he wanted to meet me I wanted NOTHING to do with him. And yes I do have issues when it comes down to men.

Thank you Dr. Osborne for such enlightening answers to some of our questions. And Yes I was one of many who emailed Tra about homey being a warden that’s such a powerful position IMO. A warden can make or break a damn prison did y’all know that?

Trace thank you for having Dr. Osborne as your guest and please let us know when you post his blog or add his blog to your blogroll. he was sooooooooo good!

58. Kenneth says:

Hey Fam,

Thank you all for tuning in tonight and for all of your well thought out questions. I wasn’t able to address things like what I like to refer to as the “sharp left turn” in my life that led to drug and alcohol abuse or that I sobered up at age 24 and haven’t looked back since. I’m now 54 and next year I will celebrate 30 yrs of sobriety.
    I was raised in a single, female headed, “mama don’t take no ish household on the Westside of Chicago. I am one of four sons, the oldest 2 deceased as a result of the streets and life choices and I have a younger brother.
    I don’t know that I was “proud” to be a Warden, but I was proud of the mission and work we accomplished with the brothers. I can honestly tell you the brothers and I had a love relationship built on trust, integrity and no b.s. Someone asked if I had security following me. I honestly can say I did not. It use to piss the Chief of security off to no end. The brothers would make it worse by asking out loud if they could be my security detail in front of the officers. I had a strict policy among staff about respect and addressing the men as “sir”. As you might imagine that didn’t go over well with some folks, but that was the call, one of many such calls I made while there.
    My journey of becoming a Warden is part of the love story of how I met my wife and my decision to take this job so that we could be together. I was working and living out of town when I met her. she works in law enforcement too as a Parole Agent and I can tell you the folks on her case load love her because she cares.
    This book need to be written because as men we have work to do. And although we have already extracted a heavy toll on our sisters out there we still need your support. It takes Queens to make Kings. We have got to raise the relationship standard, practice and insist on safe sex until BOTH parties want and can provide for a child, stop objectifying each other and really treat others the way we want to be treated.

So please read the book and share your thoughts. Thank you all sooo much for your support in listening tonight!

• Gabriella says:

“I’m now 54 and next year I will celebrate 30 yrs of sobriety.
      I was raised in a single, female headed, “mama don’t take no ish household on the Westside of Chicago.”

I am so touched by your story. You are PROOF that God is real and so is faith. I commend you, RESPECT you and look forward to reading your story. I tryly enjoyed you tonight on “Conversations Of A Sistah”

• AlScream says:

Doc it was a pleasure!!!

Mad RESPECT to you …for turning your life around from the dialogue in tonight’s conversation it’s hard to believe your life’s been tested the way it has. You are such an inspiration.

• Yes says:

Dr. Osborne God bless you my brotha. You are an inspiration to a lot of people who hear your story i know i was truly blessed by hearing you tonight.

Powerful statement! Powerful!

• QTip says:

Thank You Mr. Osborne for reminding us that we can do better. I enjoyed you on “Conversations” tonight. I hope to order your book in the days to come.

• Mrs. Hawthorne says:

Mr. Osborne God Bless you Sir*

I enjoyed your conversation tonight on our blog talk radio. I say OUR because most of us tune in religiously each week. I certainly hope to order your book and that Tracy will invite you back soon.

Thank U Mr. Osborne. Loved your interview although Tracy didn’t have enough time.

I enjoyed the show as usual. 😆

Great Guest –>Thank you Mr. / Dr. Osborne
    Great topic!!!! ->> Thank you Tracy Bell
    Great dialogue!!!!

Tonight’s show blew my everlasting mind.

I have MAD RESPECT for this brotha who held down a prison like a man with convictions. Kudos to him. And spoke from EXPERIENCE and what he knows. Not just what he heard.

a thousand thumbs up Dr. Osborne Trace was RESPECTFUL and MINDFUL to esteem you properly.

God bless him. He was EXCELLENT!!!!

Anyone who has ever had one or more of the following issues men especially:
    *Baby mama drama
    *Been to jail
    *Single Parents
    *Child support
    *Drug addiction
    *Need hope.

This show is for YOU!!!!

In fact I encourage all you single men and/or women titter-tottering with these issues you need to LISTEN to this show. Dude was awesome!!!

63. Miss Ang says:

i enjoyed him and appreciated his expertise on every question tracy asked him. then he answered it accordingly. he was just good.

Oh wow Tracy such a wonderful and humble man…I listened to the show twice he was so good….Such a Godly disposition I wish him much success! 🙂

65. Annonymous says:

who’s ordering his book? and did anybody write the email address down?

• Lisa says:

Haven’t thought about ordering his book..I think I may enjoy him more as a lecturer.

• Annonymous says:

I think I may enjoy him more as a lecturer.
        ————
        Of course you would @Lisa, cause black folk hate to READ!!!

• Lisa says:

I think I may enjoy him more as a lecturer.
        ————
        Of course you would @Lisa, cause black folk hate to READ!!!
        **********
        You don’t know me sweetie. I do like to read none of the issues he addressed tonight or his title would be in a book I’d want to read but I did however enjoy him on the show…Now good night!

He was GREAT!!!!
    Good show Ms. Bell 😆

67. AppleBottom says:

I came from down yonder just to say —>>>>>>>> DR. OSBOURNE YOU ROCKED!!!!

I’m sooooo PROUD of this man and don’t even know him. But he overcame and accomplished MUCH as a BLACK MAN!!!! You better Go boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

68. AppleBottom says:

Thank you Tracy for asking the main questions the majority of us wanted to know 😆

69. Crystal says:

I thought Osbourne was good tonight hands down. alot of young brothas could take a lesson from tonight’s show. Thank God it’s available for a instant replay.

70. Kenneth says:

Good morning Fam
    Thank you once again for tuning and for the dialogue afterwards.Some of you had questions about ordering the book so here we go: As a special offer to the listeners of Conversations of a Sistah. The paperback retails for $24.95, however for those that want an autographed copy I will provide it to you for $17.00. I accept checks, money orders or credit/debit cards.
    You can email me at authorkennethlosborne@gmail.com or call me at 708-527-4282 to order.
    You can also downloaded it from Amazon for your kindle or ipad.

In the mean time you guys take good care of Tracy. We need more Queens like her out there building up Kings!!

p.s. Check out my previous written blogs at WordPress!