Interracial Marriage…How do you feel about it in 2016?

May 17, 2016 by The ReadyWriter

Inter_racial_RelationshipsIn 1958, Richard and Mildred Loving, a black woman and a white man were arrested in their home — in their bedroom — in Caroline County, Virginia. Both had been sentenced to a year in prison because their marriage violated the state’s anti-miscegenation statute and the Racial Integrity Act of 1924, which prohibited marriage between people classified aswhiteand people classified ascolored“.

The Supreme Court’s unanimous decision determined that this prohibition was unconstitutional, reversing Pace v. Alabama (1883) and ending all race-based legal restrictions on marriage in the United States.

The decision was followed by an increase in interracial marriages in the U.S., and is remembered annually on Loving Day, June 12. It is the subject of an upcoming movie to hit theatres in November 2016.

Already meeting Oscar buzz at the Cannes film festival,  It’s absurdly early for Oscar to be sure, but it’s also not hard to see why. The movie’s writer-director Jeff Nichols dramatizes one of America’s most seminal civil rights Supreme Court cases, Loving v. Virginia, but he does so by focusing on the quiet, heartbreaking love story at its center: the marriage of Mildred and Richard Loving.

Does love indeed conquer all? And how do you feel about interracial marriages and relationships?

28 thoughts on “Interracial Marriage…How do you feel about it in 2016?

Mm……………Time and Time again, History has shown injustices of human nature. It is not ironic that the biracial couple last name was “Loving” in a case about a denied love.

Timely movie with poignant parallels today. But……………….I ain’t marrying white so I guess I’ll still be aight.

Their LOVE made history and changed laws, so they had a purpose.

4. Yes says:

Monster’s Ball. Now that was a stimulating interracial love story.

• BBallen says:

FOH that was racist as fuck!

Monster’s Ball. Now that was a stimulating interracial love story.
      ——
      seriously? all it had was a serious FUCK scene that’s it. And that was after they locked up Halle’s man Puffy. O_o Palease!!!

Trace, the swirl agenda being pushed in the media is still rolling strong, I see.

6. Miss Ang says:

“I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry… I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about”………… Mildred Loving. 😥

Liked by 1 person

I remember reading about them. a beautiful love story regardless of how one might feel about interracial relationships. 😡

8. Xmen says:

BULLSHIT!
    WHY IS THIS STORY SUCH A BIG DEAL NOW? Y’ALL EVER WONDER? CAUSE THEY TRYNA PUCH THE WHITE MAN’S AGENDA. THAT THE BLACK WOMAN WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITH A WHITE MAN BOTOM LINE.
    LET’S TELL THE FUCKIN TRUTH HERE AND SHAME THE DAMN DEVIL!!!

• Xmen says:

MY BAD I MEANT “PUSH…IN MY COMMENT ‘PUSH THE WHITE MAN’S AGENDA’! Y’ALL GET MY DRIFT.

• CorporateBitch says:

I CoSign you X……..No offense but the only thing a white man can do for me is to keep dreaming 😛 he’ll neva taste this nectar 😆 Now bring on the show Tra because I know this is an upcoming topic.

• Gia says:

CAUSE THEY TRYNA PUSH THE WHITE MAN’S AGENDA. THAT THE BLACK WOMAN WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITH A WHITE MAN BOTOM LINE.
        *****
        AGREED

• I don’t think think. What about the black men that choose white woman over us black woman? I personally know of black men that won’t date black woman because we are to opinionated and strong for them. Love is love. If you love someone that is blue or brown who is the court to tell us we can’t?

• Lilly says:

I don’t think think. What about the black men that choose white woman
        ———
        CoSign!!! What about when black men choose white women? Why is this all about the black woman’s choice? when black men do it it’s not an issue? Cmon let’s keep the conversation fair!

Liked by 1 person

CoSign!!! What about when black men choose white women?
        *********
        Exactly! Case closed.

Liked by 1 person

Good afternoon all.

Movie coming out in November? after all these years????
    O_o ok….are black people that easily influenced?

11. Lilly says:

You Love who you love black or white? Love sees no color IMO.

Liked by 1 person

Did they have children? I Wonder if they married black or whit? Because they daddy white Ion care which way you slice it.
    Tracy is this a future conversation?

two each his own if it were a black man with a white woman would their issues have been the same?

Happy “Conversations Of A Sistah” Wednesday people.

This should be a show topic. Trace gotta give us more juice in her convo’s

Nah I love me some black and would neva turn back and ion give a fluck what mainstream media is pushing.

I don’t understand why this story is such a big deal. is it because they changed laws O_o ok. today interracial marriage is no biggie. you see white men with black women and blacke men with white chicks all the time.

Mm O_o