January 11, 2016 by The ReadyWriter
At the beginning of a New Year, getting healthier and detoxing seem to be on most individual’s agendas. While fasting and detoxing are excellent ways to rid the body of toxins, detoxing the liver should be an ultimate priority. Especially if you consume alcohol periodically.
The liver is a vital organ of the human anatomy and performs multiple critical functions to keep the body pure of toxins and harmful substances.
Unfortunately, everyday toxins like medications and alcohol can overload the liver, reducing its functioning ability and negatively impacting your health. Fortunately, there are many natural foods that detox the liver, and chances are you already have them in your kitchen.
Here are seven (7) natural foods to detox your liver:
- Lemons: Commonly used in natural medicinal remedies, lemons are loaded with nutrients that are our bodies need, including fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium. They also contain bioflavonoids, which are antioxidants that help to cleanse the blood, detoxify the liver, and make the immune system strong. Drink the juice of half a lemon with some water daily to detox your liver.
- Green Tea: (which is my all time favorite) and is widely considered one the healthiest beverages you can drink, and nutrition experts agree. To make green tea, the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant are used. These leaves are rich in catechins, a kind of antioxidant that studies show prevents fat accumulation and facilitates detoxification. Drink 4-5 cups of green tea daily to detox your liver. Keep in mind that it does contain caffeine.
- Artichokes: another nutrient-dense food that cleanses the liver and purifies the blood. In fact, artichoke extracts have been prescribed by doctors for patients with liver problems since the 1800s. Plus, modern researchers have found that the phytonutrients cynarin and silymarin protect and regenerate liver cells and increase the production of bile. Artichoke can also help stabilize blood sugar.
- Turmeric: (a spice that I add to everything daily) one of the main components of curry powder, has long been used as an effective healing remedy. The spice’s anti-inflammatory properties and health-boosting nutrients work together to improve liver function (among other things), and the curcumin in turmeric is a potent phytochemical that stimulates bile production. Bile is used by the liver to rid the body of toxins and restore liver cells.
- Avocados: They are also nutrient-rich and help the body to produce glutathione (aka the mother of all antioxidants), which the body needs for liver detoxification and regeneration. If you’re worried about the high fat content, don’t, as avos contain monounsaturated fats. These are healthy fats that in moderation actually help reduce bad cholesterol and lower your risk of heart disease.
- Onions: Especially “RED ONIONS” are best for detoxing the liver and my onion of choice for everything that I cook, especially veggie burgers. they contain sulfur, a chemical compound that opens up the liver’s sulfation pathways and enables the body to release accumulated toxins.
- Cabbage: Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that is high in sulfur and provides vitamins K, C, folate, and Omega-3 fatty acids. Due to its high glucosinolate and chlorophyll content, cabbage activates important detoxifying enzymes and strengthens the liver. Generally, green cabbage is best (especially raw and organic), but any type of cabbage is good for detoxing the liver and will promote health.
Happy detoxing!! The benefits are a healthy start to practice throughout the year!