And the Oscar for best supporting actress went too…

March 3, 2014 by The ReadyWriter

lupita-nyongo-oscar-550x430

Newcomer Lupita Nyong’o walked away with the coveted Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her gut-wrenching performance as Patsey in 12 Years a Slave Sunday night in Los Angeles.

“Yes,” exclaimed the 31-year-old actress as she hugged director Steve McQueen and her co-stars. Lupita thanked her family, her co-stars and her drama school (Yale school of drama) during her emotional acceptance speech.

“It doesn’t escape me for one moment that so much joy in my life is thanks to so much pain in someone else’s,” she said, referring to the suffering of African slaves in America.

“12 Years” was Lupita’s first ever feature film role. She was chosen from 1,000 young actresses who auditioned for the part.

Congratulations to her for such a high honor!

53 thoughts on “And the Oscar for best supporting actress went too…

Congrats to Lupita! I was so happy for her last night.

I love her!!!!
    She is showing the world a new type of beauty. I love how she plays around with fashion, and her hair.

Congrats Lupita 🙂

Morning Fam

Congrats to Lupita! She is so HUMBLE too. That Nairobi blue that she wore that reminds her of her country??? That brung tears to me eyes

6. Henrietta says:

That was a very heartfelt speech 😥 So glad she won….. she is just simply beautiful inside and out……. What a gal 🙂

7. pointmen says:

Go Lupita!
    And congratulations to the brilliant Steve McQueen.
    Very well deserved.

Congratulations to Lupita! The Oscars rocked! Pink tore up “somewhere over the rainbow”

Congratulations to all the winners!!

Lupita is Gorgeous!!!!

Lupita looked beautiful! I love her! Black Girls Rock!

Lupita look good but DAYUM she needs some tits BAD.
    😡 I don’t even wanna hear no foolishness saying otherwise. We all know it’s true.

Lupita look good but DAYUM she needs some tits BAD.
      ******************************

I don’t know if boobage would change anything. She’s got that mark down the middle of her chest that I imagine would still be there even if she did get her a nice B cup boob job.

13. shawnia says:

I missed the awards. I do struggle with the fact that we only seem to be honored for playing slaves, maids, butlers, drug lords, sex objects or deviants :no: Why can’t we win for other roles? Better yet why can’t we be cast for other roles.

14. Floridagirl says:

Didnt watch the Oscars… Haven’t been to the movies 😡

Congrats! Heard it was a good movie

Tyler perry movies aren’t oscar worthy,.. Bet and NAACP is where he can get some unwarranted shine… We don’t need madea at the oscars 😆

17. mittseybean says:

I refuse to watch movies about slavey. My grams made us watch Roots when we were children, that was enough for a lifetime for me.

Yes, this is great but…………..We Still Slaves won! Not trying to take anything away, Steve. but…………….we are great acting in slave roles.

19. Princess says:

So sad many people ( black people) refuse to see this movie, I thought it was great and its awesome to learn that starting in September it will be part of the curriculum in schools. This movie wasn’t so much about slavery as it was about Freedom. This was in no way shape or form another Roots.

20. 2thick4you says:

I refuse to watch #12YearsASlave, #TheButler, #TheHelp, #Precious, and #DjanoUnchained.

Fuck Hollyweird.

21. Pookie~Nem says:

Did any black people in here go see the all black thriller repentence? No on in that movie plays a slave a butler or a maid!

Big up to brotha Solomon Northup and his decendents. I know this would be a proud moment for him if he were alive today. Not all black Oscar winners have won for slaves, maids and criminals roles. In fact most haven’t. Halle, Whoopi, Jamie & Cuba come to mind. Slavery was real, black maids were real. Why can’t their stories be told? Should maids be ashamed of their profession or something? Whatever. Anyway, congrats to Lupita, Steve, Brad and the rest of the production team and most of all brotha Solomon and his decendants.

I just find it ironic that we have so much animosity towards slavery movies. Period. When they weren’t made by us the complaint was they need to be told by those who experienced it. There are countless movies on the Holocaust and you don’t hear Jews complaining. In fact they appreciate their stories being told because there are many who would just as soon rid history of any mention of it. The same with slavery. I am proud of my history and even prouder of my ancestors. The more I know about them the better. Lord knows the accounts of their stories are few. Most of us can’t even trace our heritage. How many people even knew the story of Solomon Northrup before this movie? I’ll wait….

24. Pointmen says:

I think we can all agree that Steve McQueen is a brilliant artist and should be duly acknowledged– irrespective of whether we agree about the roles played by black actors. His films show he is dedicated to the art of excellence.

Just my two cents….I enjoy watching movies that discuss slavery b/c pretty soon it won’t be any mention of it in the history books, so this will let the future generations see how far we have come as a people. But I would love to see more movies about who we were before slavery. The kings and queens in Egypt and Africa. And I also would like to see maybe a black bible story, instead of a white feminine Jesus all the time.

White folks brought the most tickets to see these “MASTA” FILMS.

Just like white kids are buying the crappy “Black” music that is being passed off as R&B and Rap music.

Remember Black folks make up less than 12% of the population. But capitalism makes sure we stay poor, enslaved and self-haters through the racist propaganda promoted through the performing arts, television, music and films.

Was Lupita’s Oscar gown made by a Black American or African? Blank stare. Enough said.

And let’s see the leading roles that she will receive after winning an Oscar. Hmmm, where is Monique?

“I get it”. Damn!!!!
    I know some of us are bothered that a Black woman won an Oscar for playing a slave. But just for ONE second, I want us to celebrate this moment with the purest motives and joy. I want us to be able to lay these burdens down even for a hot millisecond because we carry this complex so close to the chest that it gives me heartburn.

Let us keep telling our stories from “12 Years a Slave” to “Best Man Holiday.”

Please that black girl that won last night went to Yale school of drama. Kudos to her I wish her all the best!

Lupita is all that, bony chest and all!! :yahoo: 🙂

31. Miss Ang says:

Her heart warming acceptance speech moved me to tears, 😥 love her!! 🙂

Lupita=beauty

33. Val says:

Congrats to all the winners! Lupita looked amazing in that Prada gown!

34. cameo1 says:

Lupita is Gorgeous!!!!
    Beside that bone in her chest and her needing some titties she fine 😆

• Adam says:

Lupita is Gorgeous!!!!
      Beside that bone in her chest and her needing some titties she fine 😆
      —–
      Yeah um……the skeletal sternum look is not sexy.

Her chest is non-existent

Congrats Lupita 🙂

37. Browngirl says:

Too bad she won for a slave role… O_O

38. Pookie-Nem says:

This girl is beautiful. I like how Tra talked about her on her show last night.