November 13, 2013 by The ReadyWriter

Stand-Your-Ground-Law

Many states have enacted “stand your ground” laws that remove the duty to retreat before using deadly force in self-defense.

A substantial minority of states have laws imposing a duty to retreat, with some important variations. In general, a duty to retreat means that you are not allowed to resort to deadly force in self-defense if it is possible to safely avoid the risk of harm or death (by running away, for example). If that is not an option and you were cornered or pinned down and facing serious harm, then you could be authorized to use deadly force in self-defense.

This was George Zimmerman’s claim in the Trayvon Martin case, he created a fabricated LIE to justify him using deadly force in killing the unarmed teen. This made the “Stand Your Ground” law a central part of the Trayvon Martin controversy. Zimmerman claimed Trayvon Martin pinned him down to the ground, while pounding his head on the pavement, leaving him no other option but to use his weapon in self-defense.

renisha-mcbride-540x668And the recent case of Renisha McBride, 19, (pictured here), the young woman who was shot in the face when she knocked on a door in Dearborn Heights, Mich., at 2:30 a.m. in the morning seeking help after wrecking her car in the early morning hours of Nov. 2.

Civil rights groups have said the killing of McBride, who is black, is an example of racial profiling. They have said the circumstances surrounding her death are similar to the murder of Trayvon Martin.

There are 24 states that have stand your ground laws. 24. That is almost half of all states, and that’s frightening. Additionally, the majority of victims in Florida “Stand Your Ground” cases  have been white.

Join me tonight at 8:00 PM on Conversations Of A SistahviaConversations Liveas we take a look at this law and the alarming cases of “Stand your ground”.

You can add your .2 cents to the Conversation by phoning me on the air at 1- (347) 426-3645…Please press “1” to speak with the host.

188 thoughts on ““Stand Your Ground”… is this law racially motivated? Tonight on “Conversations Of A Sistah”

Trace my gurl you on a roll.

OH THIS IS GOING TO BE A REALLY HOT TOPIC TRACY!
    I CAN’T WAIT.

BOTH CASES ARE A GRAVE INJUSTICE!
    THESE WHITE FOLKS GOING CRAZY AND IT SEEMS THESE LAWS ARE PROTECTING BTHEM. SAD…JUST SAD.

Investigators have said the homeowner has told them he feared McBride was trying to break into his home and that he accidentally fired his shotgun.

I’M so sorry to hear about this. I pray her family finds some sort of comfort. this is tragic beyond words. Tuning in to hear this.

Trigger happy murderers trying to hide behind the stand your ground defense. 😦 Smh

R.I.P. this is just tragic 😦 I didn’t know burglars knocked? WTF

Was she shot in the Face or the back of the Head?

Morning …

Sad. 😦 Tra ya show is gonna set me off I just know it.

10. Alscream says:

First dude said he shot her by accident now he’s saying it was in self defense cause he thought she was at his home to rob him. He need to make up his mind. He scared now cause the heat is on him about killing her.

Al,
      The Detroit Free Press reported Thursday that the unidentified homeowner told police he thought McBride was there to rob him. He said his shotgun discharged accidentally.

He said his shotgun discharged accidentally
        ~~~~~
        Accidental? Thought she was found in a field? How’d she get there?

• BillyBoy says:

He said his shotgun discharged accidentally
        ~~~~~
        Suspect …. 0_0 ………he lying cause he scared.

• Wanda says:

He said his shotgun discharged accidentally
        ~~~~~
        He’s LYING he opened his door with the intent to shoot!

• Miss Ang says:

He said his shotgun discharged accidentally
        ____________

Thaattss what’s crazy!! If it was an accident, y didnt he call the police and get an ambulance. He saw the young lady was by herself. Y dump her body like a bag of trash. She was a person, somebody’s daughter. 😥 this hurts my heart. they dont care about us.

• Sane says:

He said his shotgun discharged accidentally
        ~~~~~
        C’mon to even say that shit is weak. This girl was defenseless

• QTip says:

He said his shotgun discharged accidentally
        ~~~~~
        Accident fa real?
        Manslaughter charges then if it was an “accident”. That still carries jail time.

• Gabriella says:

He said his shotgun discharged accidentally
        ~~~~~
        If it was an accident, did he call 5-0

• Natasha says:

He said his shotgun discharged accidentally
        ~~~~~
        Again if this was an accident why did it take him one hr b4 calling police? BS!!! POINT~BLANK~PERIOD!!!

• QueenC says:

He said his shotgun discharged accidentally
        ~~~~~
        how do u accidently pull the trigger of a damn shotgun :smack:

This fool can’t even keep his story straight. First he felt threatened now it went off accidently? NAACP and the Justice Dept needs to step in before the police screw this one up too.

12. Browngirl says:

Hot topic
    This story breaks my heart. 😥

This is some str8 up bull!
    Stand your ground excellent topic!

If someone is going to rob you, at 2:30 am, mostly likely they arent going to knock on the FRONT door. They will kick it in, or bust a window or something.. Not doubting the man was scared b/c most ppl will panick if someone beating your door down @ 2:30 am, put to shoot her. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😥

• Shawnia says:

_________________

Common sense.

• Yes says:

I didn’t know someone knocking on your door would cause you to automaically grab your gun. GTFOH. You peaked out your window or peep hole and saw a black person. God forbid I knock on a someones door after crashing my car. I might just sit in the car, pray, call 911 on my cell phone if possible and hope for the best.

15. BillyBoy says:

Just shameful….. I can’t lie tho now somebody come knocking at my door at 2:30 I will get up armed, but I wouldn’t open the door… Ask who it is and what they want with the door shut and gun ready….

• CorporateBitch says:

I can’t lie though… now somebody come knocking at my door at 2:30 I will get up armed, but I wouldn’t open the door… Ask who it is and what they want with the door shut and gun ready….
      **********
      I just wont open the door, if im not expecting you. I’ll sound the alarm. I have ADT 😦

• Jamilla says:

**********
        They dumped her body though….Foul play 😥

When I have unexpected visitors I just don’t open the door until I confirm who it is. He could have kept his door closed and called the police if he was that scared. I am not buying his story at all.

• Lilly says:

**********
        If I owned a gun and someone came knocking on my door at that hour, I would want to be prepared too. At 2:30 am, I’m just not answering the door. I don’t like strangers knocking at 230 pm let alone AM!!

Tuning in to hear this cause media reports previously stated McBride was shot in the back of the head as she turned to walk or run.

It’s so refreshing to see Trace is actually going to talk about this…I like that!!

18. Miss Ang says:

How you just dump a body like it’s trash in a field tho? Just no regard for someone’s life. You can’t even ask for help no more; just wow. 😦

Trace I’m waiting to hear about all this 😦

20. cameo1 says:

Speak ON IT TRACE SPEAK ON IT!!!!
    Cause this just doesn’t make sense. Life means nothing now. What dude scared of a girl 😦

well needed topic Ms. Bell
    He needs to stand trial for this.

There are a lot of conflicting stories coming from the police. First she was found in the fields now it’s on the front steps. Then she was shot in the back of head then in te front. Sounds like they trying hard to cover this up some way.

• Joanne says:

————-
      CoSign!

This case didn’t make sense from the beginning… this case didn’t make any sense. She left home on Friday. The first news story about Renisha’s death said police found her body “dumped” in Dearborn Heights on Sunday. The police said it was a case of self-defense. If it wasn’t for the family and blogs keeping this story alive, she would have been another black chick dead.

And it’s about time Tracy started dialogue about this. I wondered why she didn’t write about this when it happened.

• ManUp says:

************
      Yep and the story is conflicting. How did she end up there, hours after her crash? When exactly was her crash? So many unanswered questions. Smh

———
        Maybe she felt it was too damn tragic to talk about? Maybe just maybe she was saving it for a show like she did. STHU Tamala please!!! Tra don’t move when we tell her and she writes about those stories that interest her. Hell I’m mad just reading this!

I never felt comfortable knocking on the door of people I don’t know.
    At 2;30 in the morning is even worse.

25. Pointmen says:

What a fuckin shit azz coward. He must be white?.
    Shit is ridiculous.

I swear I hate these gun nuts.

26. Princess says:

This is so sad 😥

27. Xmen says:

All this dumb shyt makes me wanna be anti guns. Living life normal and end up dead behind some bullshit. SmDH 😦 Wow!

This whole story is a damn SHAME!!!!
    The home owner/shooter waited a full hour b4 calling 9.1.1.
    I’m OUTRAGED at this story!

• Danny says:

The home owner/shooter waited a full hour b4 calling 9.1.1.
      ———
      So he just left her out there like trash and wait an hour to call?? this is boolshit 😡

As told online: “We just received a 911 call from a male (who) thinks he just shot someone on his porch. Then he hung up; we’re trying to call back,” said a female dispatcher”.

Tra this shyt is going to have me upset like the Martin case 😥

The 54-year-old homeowner claimed through his attorney that he fired his shotgun because he feared for his life

———-

• Donte says:

———-
        See his lawyer is already trying to set up his “stand your ground defense” this is bullshit!

• 2thick4you says:

———-
        “If this was the case WHY THE FUCK DID HE OPEN THE DOOR??! 😡 He wanted to shoot someone.”
        *********************
        For the same reason Zimmerman got outta his truck….bullshit !!!!!

• ManUp says:

FEAR IS NOT JUSTIFICATION FOR MURDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lisa says:

FEAR IS NOT JUSTIFICATION FOR MURDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        ————
        Killing someone yes. Murder no. 😦 This was murder. He didn’t have to murder her if she didn’t even get in the house.

• Gia says:

Only an all-white female jury will believe the excuse that he feared for his life when someone knocked on his door.

• Lexy says:

The home owner/shooter waited a full hour b4 calling 9.1.1.
        ———

If he did nothing wrong, he would have immediately called the police. He had to be aiming to shoot her in the face. Don’t know much about guns, but do guns automatically go off?

• Ionna says:

*********************
        For the same reason Zimmerman got outta his truck….bullshit !!!!!
        ————————
        You might be right!

• Katman says:

So let me get this str8…..he FEARED for his life, yet he moved the body and waited an hour to report this incident that he was so “terrified.” 😡 GTFOHWTBS!!!!

• Ashanti says:

Wow so to top it off, he tried to cover up his crime by moving her body. To me that yells guilty as hell. Ol’ piece of craca bastard!

• Yasha says:

If she did knock, he could have told her to state her business, and said I’ll call the police. Not him acting as police.

• Coco says:

The home owner/shooter waited a full hour b4 calling 9.1.1.
        ———
        Of course he did, he had to get his story together and fuck up the crime scene 😡

• Natasha says:

The home owner/shooter waited a full hour b4 calling 9.1.1.
        ———
        so what did he do in that full hour before calling police.? did they rob her? get rid of evidence? I mean WTF did they do in the meantime? suspect all the way. he knew he was wrong! that’s why it took him so long to call police.

I just don’t understand this story. No justification for this at all……why he is not under arrest. If she had been shot inside his house, he could try the afraid for my life story.

Tracy I will be TUNED IN as usual because this is just sad 😥

31. Floridagirl says:

I could see if she got pass the threshold and into the house but she didn’t even step foot in his property damn! Stand your Ground is now at the forefront in Florida so it’s about to be real people.

R.I.P. Renisha may your soul rest in heaven.

33. 2thick4you says:

Hell is waiting for every single racist in this world 😦

Let this had been a black person killing a white person cause he or she was “in fear of his life”. A black person would have been thrown under the jail by now.

It just saddens me on how cruel the world could be like are we serious. Like who in the hell would just kill someone because of them knocking on a front door. Like are we serious. He must be guilty of something to have done this.

Tracy glad you’re covering this.
    This is just a sad story, this man needs to be put in jail!

We need to keep paying attention to this case 😦 this case and the Kendrick Johnson case. In both cases these folks are claiming they FEARED for their lives. Smh

38. Katman says:

Good show topic Tra!

I don’t see how anybody can call this a STAND YOUR GROUND case!
    I’m scary. If I’m not expecting you, you not getting in. I QUIETLY walk to the door look out the peephole. Don’t know you not saying a word.

40. Ebony says:

They are just itching to use a gun on somebody. Zimmerman got these people on 100. I told my cousin that his case would set off a precedence that as long as a person is black you can shoot them and holler “self defense”. The sad thing is if roles were reversed she would have been in jail already and charged.

41. Applebottom says:

Another case where dude will get away with cold blooded murder 😡 wow. just wow.

Damn!
    2:30am is pretty late to go knocking on somebody’s door and I understand people want to protect their families and themselves. He on the other hand shot first and asked questions later. He didn’t even give the girl a chance. She was by herself and probably scared and shaken up after the crash. Poor baby. I feel so bad for her family. 😦

43. Val says:

Reading most of the comments and it seems like a police cover up that normally would have worked but people (her family) were not having it. They thought she was forgettable and not of value. Guess they were wrong. And sir if she wasn’t trying to break into your home why shoot :thinking: As a matter of fact she never made it inside your home. seems like he was having target practice on a real person 😦

• Henrietta says:

————–
      Agreed! She never posed any real threat thats why i am saying bullshyt all around. He is the type that make it hard for legitimate gun owners. The sad part is 😦 no matter how much screening or background checking you do, it will never tell you if a person is truly mentally capable of being a responsible gun owner.

She never posed any real threat —>Which is how the law will be handled in this case.

It is well known that if somebody steps INSIDE of your crib, you have the right to defend yourself and your property. But on the porch? Outside?
        His ass is GONE. Bye.

He has no justifiable reason for “accidentally” shooting this child in the head. And if it was in the back of the head and they find him guilty they are really gonna throw his ass to Cocoa-Latte and the Pole-Swangin’ Prison Club at one of the many state or fed joints around for some REAL TIME. Make an example out of this motherfucking ass.

Bye. 😡

• DHood says:

She never posed any real threat
        All she did was RING his damn doorbell and he shot her face off…What The Flippity Fuck was he on? who does that shit?

• Zion says:

She never posed any real threat
        Yes and a “Stand Your Ground” defense won’t work in his favor because all she did was “RING THE MAN’S doorbell”. She didn’t attempt a B&E or step past his threshold and most of all she had NO WEAPON. So NO she posed no real threat

• QueenC says:

yeah they’re trying to see how the public is going to react 😡 If folks show out and protest, they will come up with some bs charges that will lead to a not guilty verdict

damn de ja vu all over again 😥

This story is sad. 😡 Dude keeps changing his story like Zimmerman did. Can’t ask people for help these days if you’re in trouble smh

Tracy I know this story is about your show but I can’t wait to get a new post :thankyou: 😥

46. Henrietta says:

I will be tuned in and front and center!!!

Dude needs to go on to jail for safety reasons. I’m shocked his house is still standing.
    Tuning in toooooooo tonight’s show.

GUNS DON’T KILL! Stupid MotherFuckers with guns do!
    Stand His Ground My Azz can’t wait to hear the show

49. soldierboy says:

May this girl R.I.P.
    This is just tragic I didn’t know burglars knocked 😡 they need to charge his ass ASAP

50. CeoDawg says:

If this situation shows me nothing else, it confirms for me that White America,for the most part are absolutely scared of black people, and the first reaction is defense mode, not what’s going on, I’ll talk to you through the closed door first, then call police if need be. George Zimmerman, now this guy. They know absolutely nothing about us, but what they see on the nightly news.

51. Pamela says:

i just googled the kendrick johnson case.. and emailed Tra its so hard to believe this is actually able to happen. Im so confused. Nothing seems right..

52. AnnonoymousOne says:

So a Shot gun blast wasn’t loud enough for any neighbors to call the Police? Wow

I can’t understand why the medical examiner is checking to see if she had alcohol in her body or if she was intoxicated. after all she was/is the victim., They should be checking to see what was in his system. Smh

• Natasha says:

Gabriella,
      This story makes me so sad. Every time we have a case where one of “US” are the victims they are quick to tare down our character but if one of “them” is the victim all you hear is how good of a person Suzy or Billy Bob was. GTFOH!!

• DHood says:

———————–
        If he was from down south I’d say his azz was gone off that moonshine but since he in MI I don’t know what the cracker azz crackers there drank. But his azz was mos def gone off something. nasty azz fool

• BBallen says:

Why we aint asking what the fuck he had in his system? Surely he was lit. Maybe he got a single mother. I need answers Tra. I need answers

• Pinky says:

same reason they didn’t test Zimmerman 😡 they don’t give a fuck about chocolate folk.

• Danny says:

I don’t get it, so if she had some weed or drank in her, being shot and killed is justified?

• Zion says:

———————–
        Exactly, what was in her system is irrelevant.

• Anthony says:

———————–
        Ummmmm Hell to the NO. it ain’t justified IMO. But that dont mean shit.

• QueenC says:

Is it me or when have you ever seen one lonesome female try to break into a home. They need the toxicology to prove she was coked out or on some pills to say she was disoriented and cause herself to be shot, allowing another murderer to be justified and roam free

if she was under the influence does that mean she deserved to be shot? 😡 or is this just some more bullshit they can use against her character like they did Treyvon Martin :pissed:

• BigBelly says:

This is flat out bullish!t!

• Aceman says:

IF RENISHA WAS STUBBLING DRUNK AND HIGH AS HELL THAT STILL DIDN’T GIVE THAT MOTHERFUCKER THE RIGHT TO SHOOT HER IN THE FACE.

This story is sad and something else.
    I know its bad EVERYWHERE but you couldn’t pay me a million dollars to live in Detroit! #fail

Stand Your Ground is a HOT Topic already in this country since the Trayvon Martin case.
    But this Renisha McBride story OMG 😥 I don’t even want to talk about this story no more. Just come with the truth as to what happened is all.

I hope they stick it to him. ROYALLY

R.I.P. Renisha.

Tuning in of course TraBell 🙂

57. Zion says:

Hot topic and it has every right to be.
    Bill Clinton sparked the rage about changing the “Stand Your Ground Law” when Trayvon Martin was killed and it came center stage in that case.

One question I pose to our illustrious host Ms. Tracy Bell, are these laws designed and created to protect us or harm us? These laws were/are NOT created to PROTECT or assist the people of color.

This is so so sad and tragic 😦 Just like the Trayvon Martin case.
    Thanks Tracy for covering this story excited about your show despite the fact that this is a really FUCKED up topic.

I pray Peace for the family and Justice for Renisha 😦

60. AnnaB says:

Excellent show topic!!!!
    Tuning in

Man…sometimes I’m just so sick of humans….When is God coming back already?

62. UncleEd says:

If this was really an accident he wouldn’t need to make an excuse about why and what happened 😡 great topic. people need to talk about and Trace is just the chick to make it happen.

63. BigBelly says:

I’M so sorry to hear about this. I pray her family finds some sort of comfort. But how with this was such an injustice!

Home owner/shooter need to be held accountable for taking this girl’s life.

Let ONE white kid get murked by a nigga and claim “stand-your-ground”
    Shit be overturned in a heartbeat.

Senseless loss of life here!
    Just senseless 😥

66. Pamela says:

shot once in the head with a shotgun
    😦

RIP :pray:

67. Tammy says:

So he just shooting people for coming on his porch, didn’t know if she was lost or what. I call BS all over this for the home owner. There has got to be something else this is just crazy

68. Yes says:

killing folks for the sport of it is what it seems like to me.

69. Pointmen says:

LAws need to be modified! 😡 These fuckers living in the boondocks need to be held accountable and shit, this is just crazy. Folks need to be trained/licensed. This is so sad 😦

its hard to be Black in America 😦 really?

This story is all kinds of shady. 😦

72. BillyBoy says:

OMG the law needs to be REPEALED!!!

That one female caller TOLD the TRUTH to shame the devil!!!

They don’t FEAR US 😦 she told it it’s BS people don’t believe the hype!!!

• Lexy says:

Yeah one caller said they FEAR us and she was like That’s Bullshit!!!
      They walking in schools and movie theatres killing 😆 We should FEAR THEM!!! Sistah ain’t neva lied!!!!

• HarlemGirl says:

Yeah one caller said they FEAR us and she was like That’s Bullshit!!!
        ——————————
        SHE TOLD THE TRUTH WTF? WE SHOULD FEAR THEY CRAZY ASSES!!!

• Aceman says:

ONE CALLER WAS PRO AND THE OTHER WAS CON…SISTA MADE A GOOD POINT OF HOW THEY KILLING LIL KIDS AND CRAZY AS HELL. THAT SHIT WAS A REAL GOOD POINT!!!

• Miss Ang says:

——-
        CoSign!

• Miss Ang says:

HEYYY MISSHARLEM

• Daisy says:

——-

• Kayla says:

——-
        Tracy was giving her permission to go deeper but she wouldn’t do it!!! 😆 But she spoke TRUTH with how “We should be afraid of them!”

• Browngirl says:

Caller #2, said it BEST: “WE SHOULD FEAR THEM! THEY THE ONES WALKING IN SCHOOLS, MOVIE THEATRES AND MALLS SHOOTING PEOPLE RANDOMLY!”

THAT WAS A REAL GOOD SHOW.

“We should fear THEM not the other way around, that THEY FEAR US…When they walking in movie theatres, malls and schools killing” –>Caller @2 on C.O.S. tonight
    Realtalk#

75. Miss Ang says:

The show tonight was soooooooooooooooo good!
    Tracy you really got to the point!
    Oh Gawd you had an awesome show!

Good show I was loving the caller who said———> We should be afraid of them! Hello!

Lordy Lordy tonight’s show was interesting.
    At the same time scary, there have been too many African Americans killed by injustices since we got an AA President. SOME white Americans are pissed and killing at random 😦 so wrong and sooo fucked up.

Good show though.

78. Zion says:

Great show Ms. Bell you flew right through it!
    Made your point, kept ya callers on point and ended well 🙂
    Kudos boo.

79. Browngirl says:

Tracy I love how you emphasized how CRAZY it was that this man opened his front door and just blew this girl’s face off! He asked NO QUESTIONS just ended her life without a thought 😦
    Great show!