August 7, 2013 by The ReadyWriter

film-19

Celebrity chef and cook, Paula Deen is in hot water for the use of the “N” word in a derogatory manner and recently Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver, Riley Cooper used the “N” word as a racial slur at a country music concert. Both celebrities have been punished for using the word nigger; Deen has been since fired from the Food Network and Riley has been suspended and ordered to seek counseling.

Yet when “Pookie and Pokey” from around the way refer to their homeys as “their nigga’s” the inception of this word become their terms of endearment.  My question to you: where’s the distinction?

In discussion I’m told, the use of the “N” word heavily depends on the context or perspective with which the word is used. When the majority of individuals feel, the use of the word Nigger was and still is; a word of disrespect.

My uncles use the word, my brothers use the word, some of my male friends use the word and a lot of the comments that I read in the “comments section” of this blog are riddled with the word.

Join me tonight at 8:00 PM on “Conversations Of A Sistah” via “Conversations Live” as I discuss the “N” word – nigga verses nigger. Is this a hypocritical distinction from the African American race? And is the word still disrespectful?

I will be taking your calls, questions and comments on this subject, so call me on air at 1-347-426-3645 and press “1” to speak to the host.

Access the show by clicking onto any of the “Conversations links” in this post.

Until then, sound off here and I’ll meet you tonight on the air.

180 thoughts on “Slang -or- Slurred, the use of the “N” Word…Tonight on “Conversations Of A Sistah”

1. Xmen says:

Yo y’all

I got a feeling that after tonight’s show the use of the word “MY NIGGA” gon be banned off this blog.

Yo y’all

————————

GOOD

• Henrietta says:

————————
        AMEN!

• Anthony says:

————————
        Freedom of speech my brotha freedom of speech!

• Cameo says:

————————
        really? ok

• Adam says:

————————
        Not a bad idea IMO

• Ashanti says:

————————
        maybe it’s time but trace don’t police this blog.

• Carolyn says:

————————
        maybe it’s time but trace don’t police this blog.
        *********
        No she doesn’t but I do!

• AlScream says:

No she doesn’t but I do!
        ——
        OH Shit!!!!!!

• CoCo says:

Uh oh sounds like Carolyn might be in talks with Tracy to SHUT THE WORD DOWN on this blog. stay tuned fam.

• Angelhair says:

——-
        And technically she should. it would be about time!!

• Xmen says:

——-
        And technically she should. it would be about time!!
        _____________

ANGELHAIR UMA NEED YOU TO STFU!

• PointMen says:

————————
        And rightfully so but maybe this will make us mindful of how we choose to use it.

————————
        Ya better hope Tracy’s moms don’t see it 😆

Whoa Lawd this conversation is long over-due. I agree we use the word so loosely yet get insulted when folk like Paula Deen, Riley and these other celebs come out the woodwork with it. WTF we need to get on one accord people.

It’s simple when a white person use the word it’s to DEGRADE a race. When we use it’s to be down with ya homey that’s the difference.

4. Henrietta says:

These issues are issues because of the race relations that are rising in this country. I say lets abolish the damn word altogether.

But tonight I’m tuned in.

My niggas and niggetts it’s all good in the hood. And I say that IN LOVE!!!!

6. Cameo says:

when paula deen used nigger she was referring to slaves. when riley used it he was referring to blacks. when we use yes it’s a term of endearment for a homey. there’s the difference.

see y’all after the show.

Thank you Tracy.
    This is a challenging topic as I’ve heard the pro’s and con’s for and against.
    I’m tuning in to see which way you swing it. 🙂 because you’re always either FOR or AGAINST!!! You don’t swing in-beween.

Afternoon to everyone here and lurking.

I don’t USE the word period. And no I’m not a WIGGA either. I just don’t find it appropriate in any culture. And yeah to an extent as a white male I find it deplorable and degrading. period! I know my black history and see why some find the word offensive.

Thank you Tracy for tackling those topics that need to be addressed.

I’m guilty as got damn charged then…cus I use the *N* word as a 2nd fuckin language.

Still checkin Trace out though.

Nowadays everyone needs counseling concerning the N word. even Donald Trump wants to use it now. Smh

Tough topic Tracy. Esp. when half the commenters on this blog use the word Nigga. Be careful not to be hypocritical please.

• Ashanti says:

——-
      came outta lurking just to say to you BITCH PLEASE!

• CoCo says:

Angelhair you are one sincere hatin ass of Tracy Bell. Yet you still bring yo trifling ass to this blog faithfully.

• Angelhair says:

EVERYDAY!!!!!!

EVERYDAY!!!!!!
        ——————–
        That’s because the devil eat a full bowl of haterade like a athletes eat his Wheaties on a regular. But I declare….THE DEVIL IS A LIE !!

• Angelhair says:

But I declare….THE DEVIL IS A LIE !!
        ———
        No the devil has an opinion that’s all. and it’s unlike most of the one’s here.

• CoCo says:

Angelhair, I hope you don’t catch an e-beat down 😡

13. AlScream says:

Nigga is OURS…and when a white person use the word they are referring to us as slaves, inferior beings something lower than human

Hot, flaming topic and I’m tuned in. yeah I’ll most likely be back to add my .2 after the show.

15. Miss Ang says:

Sensitive subject. Can’t wait.

The N word is still frowned upon regardless of its use. It’s never appropriate esp. when it has negative connotations and hurtful emotions attached to it.

Excellent topic.

17. Val says:

People just outta control…..I wonder can you get a disability check for failure to use common sense?

White folk know what the mean when they use the word NIGGA. As for Riley, The other Eagles players (the niggas) was ready to butt rape his ass. Mike Vick had to make a statement to the team not to harm him basically and give him another chance.

^^ I heard Marcus (i think thats Vick’s bro name) tweeted a reward for someone to knock the wind outta dude or something… Mike had to let the statement out to distance himself.

• BillyBoy says:

Man,
      Marcus Vick makes Lamar Odom look like Obama. That nigga is beyond slow.
      He put a $1,000 “bounty” on this dude for ninjas that make MILLIONS of dollars. retarded ass!

19. Floridagirl says:

Y’all just don’t know there are so many more people like Riley and Deen out there but just in suits, undercover and running things.

20. BillyBoy says:

Go easy on us Tra..we all guilty of using the N word, well I know I am.

Facebook is awful I just saw this posting:

You want a mixed b*itch with a big ass, no stomach, big tits, real hair, no streach marks, a good job, own crib, an not on any social networks BUT your mom is fat, black, blad headed, on welfare in the projects. Be humble like your daddy

i wonder what the n-word really meant when white people first started using it in those earlier times. did they meet some mexicans who called us negro describing our color, and the hillbilly tried to repeat the word and nigga came out, and they rolled with it? I’m sure jasper n ‘em wasn’t bright enough to make a word up out of thin air, and it be instantly degrading to a slave at the time.

• Wanda says:

Supposedly came from the Latin word that describes our color @Cougar.
      Niger. Which is the basis of the French word negre. Who were also slave catchers (Frenchy and nem)
      You was close tho. And prolly right in John Bob Toussaint just fugged it up in the 1700′s bayou where the French folks settled…so it became its present day form

Using racial slurs are wrong period people. Can’t wait for tonight’s show.

The -N- word is degrading coming from any nationality. Great topic Ms. Bell I’ll be listening.

MuahhFuggers gonna learn; you cant use that N word with a HARD R!

Uma tell the truth in here and shame the devil! Nigga is wrong and a short version of negroe it’s all jim crow and slavery lingo. we need to let it go period. it’s inappropriate period.

My grandmama said it’s wrong an she hate hearing it.

The problem is the word never effected us the ways its effected our ancestors. We weren’t beaten and mistreated and made to pick cotton like our ancestors. we haven’t seen our kin folk hung from trees and sprayed down with water ho’s. maybe we need to put roots on rewind in order to put the word NIGGER in its perspective.

So to ALL who say it just a word and everyone should be able to say the N-word if they want too Tell me this:
    Would it be OK if George Zimmerman came out and said, Yeah I shot that Nigger Trayvon Martin, he was just a Nigger.
    Would there be a problem based on some of you saying it should be OK for EVERYONE to use that word?

• Civil says:

Hell No because in those terms he views Trayvon Martin as a piece of shit!!! Why? because he’s black. whereas if i call my homeboy “my nigga” its a term of endearment. the word is used with two different meanings and in two different context.

• Pamela says:

Civil, it’s still hypocritical.one way or another.

• Civil says:

Civil, it’s still hypocritical.one way or another.
        =======
        No it’s not we own that word cus that’s what we were called. the white folk no longer own it which is why they have no right to use it!

• 2Thick4U says:

@Danny
        No that wouldn’t be okay because the manner it would be used in. Everyone has the right to say whatever they want, first amendment of the constitution. But that isn’t the issue, the issue is whether it is socially acceptable and in that case it’s NOT !

• CeoDawg says:

Danny,
        Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin like he wasn’t shit so yeah he took no consideration of his life whatsoever. which means he saw him as an invaluable animal which is how most racist view a nigger.

• Donte says:

Civil, it’s still hypocritical.one way or another.
        =======
        ______
        Cosign I just said the same thing

• Mrs. Hawthorne says:

Danny it doesn’t make the use of the word anymore wrong! IMO I hate when the word is used PERIOD!!!

And I agree, Zimmerman thought Trayvon was nothing but a black hoodlum in a hoodie. so let’s not assume anything when it comes down to the word NIGGA/NIGGER !

• Natasha says:

No it’s not we own that word
        TRACY’S MOM SAID WE DON’T OWN THAT WORD!!!

• Lisa says:

TRACY’S MOM SAID WE DON’T OWN THAT WORD!!!
        ——
        she sure did, she said that word was forced on us. and when she think about what those slaves on those slave ships went thru there is no way she could ever agree with the N word being acceptable.

29. CeoDawg says:

Actually the “N” word did not have the same connotation in slavery as it did after slavery, which was the most violent time in African American history. Hearing the word in antebellum time was not considered offensive in the south by blacks or whites. When the term Colored was considered the polite word, then the “N” word began to be seen as derisive. When it is pointed out that blacks use the word among themselves, we must realize they are not using the same word. We are using it differently. Still not Ok for Paula, Trump or Riley to use it because trust n believe they mean it differently.

30. Lilly says:

As for the N-word usage, sure Blacks have the right to use it freely, it was used derisively against them for hundreds of years..they’ve seized it..and now can use it anyway they wish. ..just like the B-word, women had it used against them for ages..now they own it. They sling the term among themselves in a way no male can dare enter… same goes for the N-word, it belongs in a certain realm now, and you know if you fit within those confines…or not.

Tuning in Trace me and my niggaz. 😆

32. UncleEd says:

Why is it that the black community is in a outrage whenever a white person says the N-word? But not as much when black rappers do so in every single song that they put on their albums? I hear it all the time when people speak to each other regardless of race because they are imitating rappers. It’s has been long overdue to get over yourselves. IT IS JUST A WORD. When you allow a word to carry weight then you allow it to cut like a dagger.

It was used in the past you know so was chains but you don’t see black people saying ban chains. What’s with holding on to 1 word? Get Over it, it’s long overdue. If we are to believe in our constitution and freedom then we have to also give FREEDOM to every person to be able to say whatever they feel like saying. That in its core is freedom.

• Donte says:

WRONG UncleEd
      The N word has centuries psychological usage as a derisive , just because you give a blessing..another man may not. You say ‘b-it-ch’..but you wouldn’t dare call a woman that, but many women do it among-st themselves all the time (just as some blacks do among themselves) those confines are restricted to those who once were demonized by those terms whereas they’ve seized it’s usage from hateful mouths. So they have that right.

So many commenters got the game twisted, we own the N word and no one else.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Oh yeah and will be TUNED IN!!!

36. Annonymous says:

I didn’t agree with the “N” word when a stupid woman used it to describe President Obama and lost her job at an ice cream joint, So I don’t agree when someone who will make millions of dollars says it period. The word is no longer accepted or acceptable in mainstream society, and no one should put themselves above that standard.

37. PointMen says:

I’m guilty of the word as well. tuning in tra for a good topic.

38. Ebonyeyes says:

ppl should stop using the word..should they? Yes, will it happen..NO!

there are so many variances here on this topic. so let me just tune into tracy and her her perspective

Love tonight’s topic and especially loving that bad ass pic of jamie foxx from django.

Ooh Ooh Ooh can’t wait. Go Tra…perefect topic cause folks using the N word like folks eat white rice n gravy.

96 comments and holding and the show hasn’t even gone down yet. ok. I can see why because the use of the N word is outta turn and over rated.

Conversations Of A Sistah…Just two hours away fam. Great topic and it’s about time we start to talk about this.

That caller is really breaking it down…OMG!!

45. AlScream says:

Oh shit y’all Trace’s moms is on the phone now y’all!!!!
    This shit is heated!!!

Tracy’s mom is turning it the FUCK OUT!!!!

😆

PREACH Mama Bell PREACH!!!!

Tracy your mother put me ass to shame 😥

That woman is BAD I see where you get it!!!

Mrs. Bell WOW!!!!!!!!!!
    y’all that woman spoke with some serious passion. I’m so convicted!!!

Tracy you had a great show!!!!
    Your mom told the truth!!!! OMG!!!! That woman went off!!!

OMG 😆 Mama Blog Queen Bell Tore it up!!!!

51. BigBoy says:

Mrs. Bell (my future mom-n-law) threw a fuckin granade in the water that woman had me and my homey’s going. god bless her.

The older generations see, view and feel this word differently! But that Mrs. Bell that woman know she PREACHED !!!

I got MAD RESPECT for Tracy’s mom fa real! Mama Blog Queen Bell went off !!!

54. Xmen says:

Ion know about y’all but Tracy’s mom got me scarred shitless…..

55. SoldierBoy says:

Yo y’all Trace’s mom set it off!!!! Fa Real…The minute she said “I disagree with the 1st caller” I was like Oh shit she gone set it off!!!! And she did!!!! Yo that woman ain’t no joke.

Ok seriously. Tracy’s mother put me to shame.
    That was a good show. She shut that 1st dude down!

Wow….Her mother was deep with her comment.

• BBallen says:

That’s it no more using the N word for me. who’s gonna join me

• Sane says:

That’s it no more using the N word for me. who’s gonna join me
        =====
        Yo I heard her moms and I’m wit u

• Anthony says:

That’s it no more using the N word for me. who’s gonna join me
        =====
        CoSign…..Mrs. Blog Queen’s Mama put all R asses to shame!!!

• Zenna says:

That’s it no more using the N word for me. who’s gonna join me
        =====
        GOOD FOR Y’ALL !!! MRS. BELL SHOULD-A PUT YOU ALL TO SHAME…MAYBE NOW YOU’LL THINK TWICE ABOUT EVER SAYING NIGGA AGAIN !! AH HA!!

• QTip says:

That’s it no more using the N word for me. who’s gonna join me
        =====
        Yeah right y’all say that hear on this blog but else where it’s a different story.

• Val says:

That’s it no more using the N word for me. who’s gonna join me
        =====
        I sure hope so 😆

That’s it no more using the N word for me. who’s gonna join me
        =====
        Good start but we’ll see how long it’s gonna last.

That’s it no more using the N word for me. who’s gonna join me
        =====

😆

GOOD SHOW TRACY. I FREAKING LOVED IT AND YA MOTHER, LORD HAVE MERCY GOD BLESS HER.

Mrs. Bell Lawd have mercy that woman spit fire !
    That 1st caller, lord have mercy she threw him under the bus!!!

Lawd, lawd, lawdy it was a very hot and heated topic and discussion.

Mrs. Bell…..wow i have no words… that woman just wow…i’m speechless.
    that 1st caller only expressed his opinion….and he still uses the N word. But after hearing Tracy’s mom maybe he need to RETHINK that shit.

Ooh Lawd!!!!
    That Mrs. Bell know she told y’all off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Whoa that Tracy’s mom was on point!
    Awesome show awesome!

Blog Queen’s mom told US off relatively. she represented.
    That 1st caller spoke for the majority of the Ceo’ers here who use the word NIGGA.
    But Tracy’s mom shut that shit down with her theory.

MRS. BELL COMMANDS RESPECT AND THAT WAS CLEARLY EXPRESSED TONIGHT.
    SHOW WAS OFF THE HOOK!!!

Mrs. Bell was a breath of fresh air. i agreed with her 1000% percent.
    show was great!!!

Ok we can all agree that tracy’s mom is off the hook.

Great show.
    I would not have wanted to call in after hearing blog queen’s mother go off!!!!
    when she mentioned blacks being called nigger on those slave ships i was done. 😥
    Tracy’s mom spoke THE TRUTH!!!

IT WAS A GOOD SHOW. I TRIED TO CALL IN IT WAS TOO LATE!!
    MRS. BELL HAD ME GOING…

Tracy your show was OMG great!!!!!
    Your mother was soooo passionate about her expression on how she dislikes the word.
    That 1st caller was sincere but he couldn’t hold a candle to the way Mrs.Bell felt.

68. Val says:

I’m offended whether it’s a black person, or white person saying the N word.
    I agree with Tracy’s mom on so many levels but I really think she called in because caller #1 pissed her off!

She went Off!!

Tonight was a hot show and Tracy’s mom set the tone.
    great show. just great.

I appreciated Mrs. Bell commentary…she really took the sting outta those people who think it’s ok to use the “N” word. That is an awesome woman.

71. Zion says:

I really enjoyed this show Tracy and I especially enjoyed hearing my favorite lady express how she despise the word Nigga. and reminded US of how those slaves on those slave ships suffered at the hands of their oppressors.

72. Harlem says:

Racism undercuts much of the use of the “N” word.
    And Tracy’s mom was adamant about her disdain for what caller 1, saw as acceptable amongst his peers and homeboys.

Oh My the show tonight was HOT AND HEATED that Tracy Bell’s mama set it off up on Conversations Live tonight. 😆 that woman know she spoke the truth from her heart!

Ok I must declare I’m in love with Tracy’s mom 🙂

That woman commands respect and stand firms in her position…OMG her words were strong and powerful.

I really loved the show Tracy. Your mother truly PREACHED that sermon well. 🙂 awesome show just awesome!!

show was explosive. tracy’s mom should call in erweek.

77. UncleEd says:

Sadly I will never live long enough to see the N word gone forever but America will be a much better place when folks quit using it once and for all !

78. UncleEd says:

Tracy your mom sounds like one strong woman i would love to meet her. awesome woman. awesome!

I love the shows intro. but the show overall was awesome!

Blacks who continue to be offended by the word, then turn around and use it themselves, will forever perpetuate its true meaning. The N word can never be erased from history, but it can certainly be forgotten. It is hard to forget though, when you hear a comedian like Katt Williams using it every other word. Hypocrite.

And Tracy’s mama’s oh lawd she tore it up. she took the sting outta the ignorance of those who think it’s ok to use the word in any form.

If a certain community doesn’t like a certain word then they shouldn’t promote it themselves…and that goes for ALL races, religions, etc. etc.. To say that one group of people can say one thing, but then say that another group of people can’t say the same thing is a double-standard and ignorant. End of story.

Mrs. Bell I love her she put the whole differentiation into perspective because that first caller was being hypocritical.

worked late and caught the show on the rewind and oh gawd i’m glad i did that was a good show. i’m reading all the comments here and can agree that tracy’s mom knocked the whole damn game out the box!!! that woman told it like it t..i..is..

• Mahogany says:

I cosign Queen,
      I caught the show late and had to listen to it again. the minute I heard her moms say “i don’t agree with that first caller” I knew she was gonna tare into dat ass 😆 that woman know she broke it down. she was in total agreement with Ofrah. <—– I meant to say her name like that 😆

83. AppleBottom says:

Mrs. Bell stole the show. she was the caller of all callers.

Trace ya show was a str8 shake up. ya moms shook the whole conversation up 🙂 the 1st caller set her off and she turned it the fawk out!!! I was so scared of her 😆

what oprah went thru in Switzerland was deep. that tells us that she gets her daily dose and wake call about being nothing but a nigga regardless of her money any day.

mrs. bell spoke like a true woman of conviction and i have nothing but respect for her.

• CeoDawg says:

Corp I agree with you and it’s like because Tracy’s mom says it’s WRONG to use the word you RESPECT her as an elder that it’s wrong. point..blank..period!

86. UncleEd says:

Can’t think of not 1 show of Trace’ that might’ve been her worst can anybody here say the same?

uncle ed., i can *side eye*

• CorporateBitch says:

———————–
        The one show when that dude supposedly critique her book and kept insisting she sat in her church waiting on a man. That fool was her worse show ever IMO.

———————–
        ***********
        SMH

DeLace Davis was her guest for that show.
        —–
        That was his name! He tried to be the host. 😆

• Tammy says:

Hasn’t that dude been banned?

• Sane says:

DeLace Davis was her guest for that show.
        —–
        That monfucker pissed alotta people off!!!!

DeLace Davis was her guest for that show.
        —–
        That monfucker pissed alotta people off!!!!
        ——
        NO just US!!!

• Lilly says:

Hasn’t that dude been banned? –>Seriously? Banned from what?

After that show he pissed alot of listeners off. After 216 comments and the flood gate of the show’s inbox about him. yes he’s been banned. the majority told Tracy they didn’t want him back ever as a guest! And the majority ruled.

• Lilly says:

Ok I read some of the comments where someone started and it said the following:
        Mr. De Lacy David was not a good 2nd guest bottom line. I’ve emailed Tracy and I’m sure some of you have as well. Davis behaved disrespectfully and unprofessionally as a guest on Conversations Of Sistah:

CoSign beneath as a show of solidarity that YOU DO NOT WANT THIS ARROGANT MAN BACK ON THE SHOW!!!!!

Ouch!!!

• AlScream says:

DeLace Davis was her guest for that show.
        —–

Damn what made y’all dig this monfucker up? Shit I thought we had buried em with that old conversation? WTF

• UncleEd says:

DeLace Davis was her guest for that show. His opinion of the book was so backwards he had us all wondering if he had read the same book SMH
        _____
        Ok I had forgotten about that show. Hell now I hate I asked.