Tonight on “Conversations Of A Sistah” Functioning with an addiction

October 2, 2012 by The ReadyWriter

On January 22, 2008 at about 2:45 p.m., actor Heath Ledger was found unresponsive in his New York city apartment by his house keeper; and after two weeks of intense media speculation, the New York city Chief Medical Examiner concluded that Ledger’s death was ruled an accident. Conclusions, based on an initial autopsy and a subsequent complete toxicology report. Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combination effects of several drugs. The examiner also ruled, “Ledger’s death was a result from the abuse of prescription medications.”

On June 25, 2009, Michael Jackson died while in his bed at his rented mansion at 100 North Carolwood Drive in the Holmby Hills district of Los Angeles. Attempts at resuscitating him by Conrad Murray, his personal physician, were unsuccessful. The news of Michael Jackson’s death spread quickly online causing websites to crash and bringing twitter to a complete halt. On August 28, 2009 the Los Angeles coroner decided to treat Jackson’s death as a homicide; at the time of death, Jackson had been administered a deadly dose of propofol, lorazepam and midazolam. It was later revealed that Jackson hired a personal physician to administer the drugs to him nightly to help him sleep. After a full investigation of Jackson’s personal physician, Conrad Murray; Murray was charged with involuntary manslaughter and is now serving time in a CA prison.

July 23, 2011, singer Amy Winehouse was found dead of alcohol poisoning in her London home. The singer had battled drugs and alcohol for years while recording some of her best-selling hits. I had no idea one of her many hits “Rehab” was actually her true to life lyrics.

Then this year, on February 11, 2012; New Jersey native Whitney Elizabeth Houston passed away in suite 434 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, submerged in the bathtub. A Los Angeles County coroner’s office reported the cause of Houston’s death as a drowning and the “effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use”. The office stated the amount of cocaine found in Houston’s body indicated that she used the substance shortly before her death. The manner of death was listed as an “accident”, this all after a failed comeback for Houston in 2009.

All of these entertainers were talented and great and they all made history in their own right. But these same famous entertainers were all living and functioning every single day, with an addiction. This just goes to show us that; not all abusers are down and out with their indulgences, but it is true that if one continues to abuse drugs and/or alcohol, it will sooner or later take a toll on not only your body, but your life.

If you or anyone you know is functioning with an addiction and wish to share your story for this week’s show topic on “Conversations Of A Sistah” on “Conversations Live“, do send us an email at conversationsofasistah@readywriterproductioncompany.com

I hope you’ll join us at 8:00 P.M. Thursday October 4th on “Conversations Live” as we talk about this topic…

156 thoughts on “Tonight on “Conversations Of A Sistah” Functioning with an addiction

1. 2thick4you says:

I’m functioning with an addiction, I gots to have my coffee ermorning b4 you even talk to me. 🙂

• keisha says:

*******************
      Hey 2Thick, I’m so glad I hate coffee. My morning thing is tea 🙂 caffiene free tea.

• KatMan says:

*******************
        JUST TUNE IN TRA MIGHT JUST COVER A COFFEE ADDICTION AS WELL.

2. sane says:

I know some niggas who gotta hit some weed before they go ta work. does that mean they addicted? Trace I need to hit you up offline.

3. keisha says:

This is a well written post. all of them whitney, michael, heath and amy all died of drugs and or alchol. sad 😦 but on the real, alotta people out here prolly drink or smoke before work or between work in order to function and don’t even realize this is what they are doing. this is a good topic and of course i’ll be tuned in.

don’t have any addictions unless shopping count?

• 2Thick says:

don’t have any addictions unless shopping count?
      ——-
      Yes shopping can be an addiction but can’t take a toll on your body like drugs and alchol stay focused on the post.

• QTip says:

don’t have any addictions unless shopping count?
        ——-
        ————————
        No but shopping can take a toll on your wallet thou.

• Ebony says:

don’t have any addictions unless shopping count?
        ——-
        Oooh holla

• CDawg says:

don’t have any addictions
        ——-
        are u sure? we all addicted to something. may not be drugs or alchol but something triggers us. keep thinkin about it.

Good morning everyone tho.

Too much of anything ain’t neva good and when you have to have it in order to function everyday yea you got a problem.

• Cindy says:

********************
      Cosign this is true.

wished i could call into the show to tell someone elses story.
    i use to wk with a girl and the bitch would be quite as hail from 9 till noon after lunch she would come alive and talk her ass off and you couldn’t shut her up. come to find out she was an alcholic and would drink during lunch. that lasted only but for so long before they fired her.

Lawd have mercy, i sill can’t beleive michael and whitney both gone 😦 may all these stars R.I.P.

tra i wish i could have my drunk ass aunt wilemenia tune in. she be str8 drunk erday but the bitch been holdin down her 9-5 for like 30 yrs n shit.

*Michael
    *Whitney
    *Amy
    *And Heath!!!!! May they all rest in peace.

I’ll be tuned into your show @Tracy aka Blog Queen 🙂

11. Ebony says:

I still say one of them Olsen twins knew what Heath was on. and I also believe that they were somehow supplying him which is why they sent their bodyguard over there to his condo after his maid found him dead. them some sneaky lil bishes.

any addiction is pretty serious.
    i see this is going to be another good show.

Interesting….but i wanna email you tra about some other stuff.

sad they all died either from drugs or alchol..real sad. I like this post too Tracy. good analysis for your subject on Thursday. I’ll be fron n center tuned in.

wondering why Tra is posting about her show 2 days in advance, she usually post on wednesday.

I like to wait and comment after the show. Good topic thou. sad that these four talents died due to a weakness. we all have an addiction in some way, shape form or another some addictions are just not as deadly as others such as drugs or alchol.i’m addicted to some good ole peach cobbler. 🙂

good post…rip whit, michael, heath and amy. 😦 good show topic Tra waitin to see where you go with this one.

Lookin at all of them, is so sad. this will be another good show tho.

Kudos to Blog Queen. 🙂 do ya thing!

Addiction is a hellofa thing. I thank God that ain’t my life.

Tuning in Thursday.

Get it Trace!!!!
    I’ll be tune in…

living with an addiction ain’t no joke esp. since whitney wanted to people to THINK she was still smoking/snortin when she was. sad post. but i’m tuning into Tracy show anyway.

It’s just Tuesday…Comin back after your show Tracy 🙂

Ok Trace I’ll be tuned in.

24. applebottomgirl says:

Tracy we got U.

25. FloridaGurl says:

Can’t wait for this week’s show.

Tracy I have no story to tell but i think it’s sad how all of the above entertainers all died of a drug addiction. I’ll be tuning into your show to hear how you spin it.

Gots to love my gurl for her topics

Im effn tired as fudge its been raining all day….great post.

Fuck the haters!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tracy doin the damn thing!

I like this. The whole world was shocked when MJ died. we had no idea he was taking drugs to sleep and to get up. after MJ died the media predicted whitney would be next and they guessed it would be 3 years after and it was. sad but they all had hidden addictions because they went about their everyday dealings undetected but when they dies the world knew.

Yea Tra I’m always tuning in to your show. I’m wit you all the way girly girl.

Functioning with an addiction? Alotta people are believe it or not. i work wit dudes who have to get high or get a drink b4 work n trust me when they don’t they hard to deal wit on the job. it’s sad but it’s a sad reality. i thank god i depend on nothing but Him.

substance abuse ain’t no joke people.

Trace know we gon tune in…did anybody here email the show? is anybody here going to call in? Justaskin#

sad 😦
    still can’t believe mj and wh left this earth.

can’t wait to hear the show.

35. CDawg says:

where the conversation @ people?
    wassup?
    Trace ain’t post a picture of some fyne dude and y’all kinda quite on this subject I see.
    this is the real shit y’all should be talkin about. don’t get quite now..i don’t hear shit up in diss bitch!
    what??? y’all waitin till AFTER her show?
    Yea ok.

I’m there….—————->>>>>>>”Conversations Live“

8:00 PM TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!

I’ll run my mouth after the show 🙂

38. ionnawynn says:

addiction is real and when the person who’s addicted becomes abusive it makes matters all the more worse. smh

• alscream says:

____________________________________________________________
      Ionna, Trace takin calls and emails if you need to talk or tell your story on her show tomorrow night.

• ionnawynn says:

____________________________________________________________
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Thank U Al, yes I know I read the story/post!

I’m so proud of my girl., tackling these subjects that have you thinking about those who may be in situations like this.

As usual, I’ll be ‘front and center’ and tuning in tommorrow night for the show.

wow.
    ok…but i don’t know any addicts. not to my knowledge. unless my home girlz are blazin n drinking all day – erday behind my back.

but i’ll sure be tuning into the show.

41. ok i’m tuning in tra you ain’t got to keep reminding a brotha.

tomorrow’s topic will be a good one but i wonder who will have the guts to call in.

• Cindy says:

*********
      why you gotta have gutts to call in? she’s askin people to call in if they have a story to share about addiction, what’s so gutsy about that??

Tracy’s weekly shows are interesting and I always look forward to tuning in. 🙂 Tracy is a role model for me in case y’all didn’t know.

• YES says:

Tracy is a role model for me in case y’all didn’t know.
      —————–
      yes we know.

• 2Thick4U says:

Tracy is a role model for me in case y’all didn’t know.
        —————–
        Oh Lawd

• SoldierOne says:

Tracy is a role model for me in case y’all didn’t know.
        —————–
        Aw how sweet…she’s a role model for me too.

Tracy is a role model for me in case y’all didn’t know.
        —————–
        oh boy she’s a role model to us all.

I like to comment after the show but I get a kick out of reading the post that lead up to the show.

love tracy tuning in.

46. KatMan says:

THE YOUNG AMY WINEHOUSE LOOK BEAUTIFUL N INNOCENT IN THAT PICTURE. SHE LOOK CLEAN AND UNTAINTED. BUT PICS FROM HER LAST DAYZ SHE WAS ALL WASHED UP AND DRIED OUT. SAD 😦 CAUSE HER MUSIC WAS SLAMMIN. SHE WAS MAD TALENTED.

47. alscream says:

show’s tonight 🙂

it’s alot of kneegrows out here functioning with an addiction. and they be on ‘top of their game’ when they high too. this oughta be interesting.

I’m curious, i know nobody’s going to reply to me, is anybody calling in?

• Tammy says:

I’m curious, i know nobody’s going to reply to me, is anybody calling in
      ———-
      wouldn’t that be confidential @Kayla

• Kayla says:

I’m curious, i know nobody’s going to reply to me, is anybody calling in
        ———-
        wouldn’t that be confidential @Kayla
        *********************************************
        *shrugs shoulders*
        I guess but I figured we all family so why not ask

is anybody calling in
        ———-
        Not cha bittness.com

we got an hour and a half b4 tra set it off

Just waitin for 8 🙂

That POEM Tracy I gotta have that!!!

Off the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tammy says:

That POEM Tracy I gotta have that!!!

Off the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      ————————————–
      Yes it was!!!!! this bitch is bad with hers!!!!!!!!!

• Rezzie says:

Off the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        ————————————–
        Yes it was!!!!! this bitch is bad with hers!!!!!!!!!
        ———————————————————–
        Not nice to call the host of this blog a bitch and she gave a resounding and powerful informed show. I’m highly offended!

That POEM Tracy I gotta have that!!!

Off the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        ————————————–

Yea um, when the poetry bookin comin out? Trace holding out on us.

• That POEM Tracy I gotta have that!!!
        ~~~~~~
        Yeah um, that was offthehook.com and we all need a copy of that. 🙂

• CoCo says:

That POEM Tracy I gotta have that!!!
        ~~~~~~
        Too bad I’m sure we’ll have to wait for her next book.

• Pointman says:

That POEM Tracy I gotta have that!!!

Off the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        ————————————–
        Yes it did!

• Good morning,
        Everybody want a copy of the poem I read last night and that’s a good thing however, 🙂 when my poetry book is published the poem i read last night will be included.

I thank you all for staying tuned in…

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

• Acquitta says:

Morning Tracy,
        Technical you’re a lyracist. I listened to the show again show again so i could hear you drop the words to that poem. awesome it was just awesome!

• Tammy says:

Tracy,
        You kept it all the way real esp. when you let us (your listeners) know that there are people in your family who are functioning addicts i think there’s one in every family and like you said last night, if there isn’t then you’re blessed. Your show was real., i loved it

• Pinky says:

it was just a good show. point..blank..period..

Gotta have that poem @Tracy, off the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good show but um, cocaine is not the most the addictive, crack is

• good show but um, cocaine is not the most the addictive, crack is
      ~~~~~~
      You so stoopid 🙂 it’s the same thing crack is just not melted down. and yes both forms of cocaine are addictive.

you told the truth blog queen mentioning generational curses!!

Loved the show.
    powerful poem.

57. God Bless you Ms. Tra Bell aka Blog Queen, you are multi-talented, i can smell the hate!!!! LOL 🙂

Tracy monologued it…it was interesting. generational curse, alot of people are operating under that and that’s fa sure. I’m gonna listen again.

loved the show! 3rd good one. now what the hell will the self absorbed individual be about? 🙂 I swear I’k tryna keep up with ms. bq but it’s hard.

60. Zion says:

Good 3rd show sweetie 🙂

61. Pointman says:

Got home just in time, i think the title of the weekly song kinda matched the whole theme of 2nite’s show, that was ‘on-point’

I couldn’t relate to tonite’s show, i guess becuz i never did drugs/alchol or pills but the words just flow outta tracy’s mouth i swear. it was like a help segment imo. loved the poem thou. wow, i would love a copy of it.

63. bobby says:

good show gotta hear it again. i listen to it twice every week.

64. keisha says:

Tracy touched on some deep stuff last night. when she said that addiction is a family decease i’ll be damn if she wasn’t tellin the truth.

———————
      good morning keisha, she also said it was a generational curse passed down. that’s why i was determined that i wasn’t going to be on drugs just bcuz my mother was. oh hell no i wasn’t going down that road.

her show was good but i know people were prolly too shy about calling in.

Oh man when Tracy started talkin about whitney, then played her song at the end that capped it off for me, i started crying 😦 the poem was just mind blowing.

• 2Thick says:

————————————
      COSIGN!!!!!!

Whitney was like family to a lotta people. and i was shocked when Tracy talked about it.

• RandomChick says:

————————————
        was sad 😦 but she layed it out.

Tracy’s show was off the chain but i think there are some people in denial about their drug habits. if you look forward to a little weed erday and drinking yeah you a functioning addict. i hope it helped somebody in the long run.

67. Katman says:

i thought the show was brave.
    alotta people hooked those prescription drugs tho. some of them sell for $300.00 a pop. but when she started about whitney, i was like dayum that’s the truff. whitney was def. a functioning addict cauz she had alot of people fooled.

good show i now look forward to them everyweek.

69. CDawg says:

Tracy show was not only good it was excellent!
    Why? because it’s not a popular subject. people are living everyday in denial and don’t want to face and shake off them demons that have them in these kinds of situations to begin with. i noticed the conversation in here is not as HOT as it was when the brotha from Newark was ‘ON’ ..this was not a topic to LUST about so it’s not as crowded up in here this week. this is what happens when you focus on a message and not so much the messenger!

Tracy is not only multi-talented but she’s a gifted sistah with intelligience and for that “I RESPECT HER” and will continue to support her, this show and her books.

Peace

• Daisy says:

Tracy show was not only good it was excellent!

Peace
      **************
      PREACH!~
      PREACH!~
      PREACH!~

• Adam says:

********
        COSIGN!

Tracy is not only multi-talented —>Cosign cuz that poem she read on the air was the truth!

• Cameo1 says:

Tracy show was not only good it was excellent!

Peace
        **************
        cosign she’s had 3 good shows.

just knew somebody was gonna call in crying and telling their story but there was no drama at all. I was like Dayum!

• BrownGirl says:

*************
      SHIT she didn’t need anybody to ‘call in’ she held it down anyway LOL

*************
        SHIT she didn’t need anybody to ‘call in’ she held it down anyway LOL
        ——————-
        I know but I was expecting a little bit of drama. No let me stop lyin, I wanted a little bit of drama 🙂

the show was good.
    blog queen talked like she knew what she was talkin bout.
    and then she recited a poem, wow that blew me away.
    freakin loved the poem.

show was great and i’m sure we’re all gonna tune in next week but can we get a new post or a new conversation going????.

i’m at work, bored ta death and need an outlet right about now!