Update: 1 Percent Tip Story a Hoax!

February 27, 2012 by The ReadyWriter

New developments suggest that the receipt (shown above) from the restaurant in CA may have been digitally altered.

According to the website the Smoking Gun, True Food Kitchen’s spokesperson said it found the original merchant copy of the receipt, and the one circulating the Internet was “altered and exaggerated.” The original receipt does not contain the tip “Get a real job.” Also, the real bill was for $33, not $133, and the tip given was $7.33, not $1.33.

Because the story outraged so many readers, the restaurant owner was determined to get to the truth of the matter.

*************************************

Usually a tip should be 5 percent or 20 percent of your bill and some restaurants will automatically add it to a party of 8 people or more.

Apparently this wasn’t the case when a wealthy banker left a $1.33 tip on a $133 lunch bill at the True Food Kitchen restaurant in Newport Beach, California. To add insult to injury the word “tip” was circled on the receipt, and the banker wrote “get a real job” on the bill.

A picture of the receipt was taken and uploaded by a person who was dining with the anonymous banker. The person wrote, “mention the 99% in my boss’ presence and feel his wrath. So proudly does he wear his 1% badge of honor that he tips exactly 1% every time he feels the server doesn’t sufficiently bow down to his holiness.”

Do you all remember some time ago, in Washington state, when a waitress received a tip of no money and advice scrawled on the receipt that told her she could “stand to lose a few pounds.” That message was not only rude and ignorant, but how did the advice to the waitress tie into the person being served? How did her weight prevent her from doing her job?

71 thoughts on “Update: 1 Percent Tip Story a Hoax!

get a real job

What constituted her job being fake? Bastid!

If everybody got a “real job” who would serve him his food? Arrogant Fuck!

Excuse me? Get a REAL job??? Waitressing is a real job

“get a real job” –> LMMFAO 🙂 the nerve of this motherfucker!

And to think: he took the time out to insult her by WRITING that shit down and circling it. what a bitch!

Any job that deals with the public is a hard job.

How utterly rude of this banker. The waitress probably works harder in a 6 hour shift than this fool works in a lifetime

8. ms. Kayla says:

Okay, was there money left for a tip by the other people that ate?

This is what happens when your life sucks, you take it out on random people. I like stories like this because it only proves to show that money cant get you everything, especially class.

he wrote a note telling the waitress to “get a real job”??? he must be ONE miserable ass.

What an idiot. If everyone took his advice and got a “real” job, society would collapse. I have way more respect for construction workers, plumbers, and yes even waitresses than I do for some punk ass wall street banker.

These servers depend on their tips. They have families too. Sometimes they don’t even get a paycheck so the tips are all the income they get.

THE FIRST SHALL BE LAST AND THE LAST SHALL BE FIRST

TISALL

maybe that was his advice because she was a bad waitress??

• Civil says:

maybe that was his advice because she was a bad waitress??
      STILL… LEAVE HER SOMETHING LIKE A $1.00 OR A PENNY TO SHOW YOUR DISLIKE OF HER SERVICE. BUT TO INSULT HER BY WRITING “GET A JOB” ON THE FUCKIN RECIEPT THEN CIRCLING THAT AS YOUR TIP IS PRETTY FUCKED UP!!!

• Natasha says:

maybe that was his advice because she was a bad waitress??
      Oh that’s bullshit, even if he hadn’t left a tip, his note of ‘get a real job’ was just so mean and un-necessary.

“get a real job”

WOW

16. UncleEd says:

Was this banker making a statement about POOR SERVICE???. Personally, I give a full tip even if service is bad because (a) I have worked service jobs and (b) I give the server the benefit of the doubt, not knowing what’s going on in their life

17. mpowerrealty says:

I wonder how wealthy this person truly is. His anger at someone collecting a tip and his wearing of his 1% status like a badge suggests to me that he might not be as wealthy as people think he is… hmmm.

18. Why is no one releasing this guy’s name? If he’s better than everyone else, then he shouldn’t mind who knows who he is. @$$hole…

• Applebottom says:

Yeah I’m wondering WHO this fool is too.

19. sane says:

NO he didn’t tell her to “get a real job” she should have pissed in his food.

• alscream says:

NO he didn’t tell her to “get a real job” she should have pissed in his food.
      ___________

I would of rubbed my dick in it then served it to em

“get a real job”
    “get a real job”???
    When servers work their asses off doing their jobs. No job should be looked down upon regardless of what you do for a livin. SMDH

21. CDawg says:

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.”

~Martin Luther King

No matter what your job is, you can do it and do it well!

“get a real job” –> so i guess because she’s not a banker, a doctor or a lawyer, she doesn’t have a real job? anything you do to make money IS A REAL JOB…When you collect a pay check, it’s a real job…Dude deserves a beat down for that comment.

my mom waited tables to put my brothers and i thru college and damn right That was her real job. when she came home with aching feet and a headache because of bastards like this banker she was still encouraged because she focused on her goal. and her goal and her focus was for the bigger prize. Today she’s retired and OWNS a deli and yes she still has a real job.

• Coco says:

_______

Preach Danny! Preach!

“Regardless of a person’s profession, looks, weight or otherwise, they should always be respected and appreciated when a service is rendered.”

Amen and Hallelujuh to that!!!!
    I’m glad whoever dined with him sold his ass out, he should have been put on blast!!!!

Karma is a real bitch and sometimes we don’t know which is which! And his life ain’t over, he never know what he may be forced to do in order to survive.

What nerve of this nigga to write on his reciept “get a real job” that would have pissed me off. he prolly mad cause she didn’t kiss his ass or care that he was a banker. I’m sure she traeted him nice like any other average JOE.

“get a real job” –> The nerve of this sorry ass son of a bish!

28. Ebony says:

How cold and heartless to leave someone a note (your waitress no less – the person who is serving you) telling them to “get a real job” that’s so sad and cruel.

• alscream says:

———

Yeah but how is that news for you this black history month? Not too positive now is it Boo Boo?

• Ebony says:

****

NO but the Tyler Perry post is… *licks tongue*

29. TR says:

“Usually a tip should be 5 percent or 20 percent of your bill….”
    5 OR 20%? That’s a big difference. Did you mean 15 or 20%? I could see 5% at the low end for bad service. 18% is pretty common for restaurants to add for large parties, to make sure the waitstaff doesn’t get shafted for their work.

The base rate of pay for serving is ridiculously low, below minimum wage in places (legally — service workers are often under a different government minimum wage structure), and it’s assumed by employers and the government that income from tips will make up the difference. Despite the fact that tips are voluntary and subject to the whims of people like the 1% banker. Benefits and retirement? Ha! Not usually part of the job. Unless the service is so bad that you feel they really deserve little or no tip, you really screw over your waiter or waitress if you leave less than 10%. For hard, customer-oriented work that said 1% banker wouldn’t last 1 hour doing.

see how you can’t believe everything you read Trace!

• see how you can’t believe everything you read Trace!
      ——-
      Which is why I owe it to my readers to publish an update, which is ALSO what I’ve done.

• Civil says:

______________________

YOU GOOD TRACE FUCK EM!

• Lexy says:

~~~~~~~
        YEP AND YOU DID THE RIGHT THING

• Aceman says:

******
        THE STORY SEEMED JUSTIFIED AND CREDIBLE ESP. SINCE THE RECEIPT IS THERE FOR ALL TO SEE. IT’S ALL GOOD THOU.

• Soldier1 says:

see how you can’t believe everything you read Trace!
        ________
        So then start SKIPPING ya AZZ past what she writes

• Daisy says:

—-
        And we thank you

🙂

• alscream says:

~~~~~
        Ya damn sure did and guess what I LOVE YOU MORE FOR IT. Now y’all run n tell dat!

• BBallen says:

—–
        and you still extra good 🙂

• Katman says:

——-
        WHADDUP TRA??
        ONLY A ‘BAD AZZ’ SUCH AS YOURSELF WILL ADMITT SUCH FACTS

• CorporateBitch says:

———–
        Ok so it sounds like she addressed @Anthony Correctly. Ateast we got the damn update.

• Anthony says:

_______

Um a real blog host should verify the facts b4 publishing don’t you think so Ms. Bell?.

• Zion says:

~~~~~~

The facts only remain with the person who writes/blogs, therefore any story off of the internet can be hoax unless otherwise stated. IN THIS CASE IT WAS OTHERWISE STATED, which is why our gracious blog host took the liberty to update this post. And that’s what a GOOD Blog host would do in the Spirit of keeping it real so um, what else YOU GOT?

• Ashanti says:

——-
        Oh shit!!!

• CorporateBitch says:

————

How does “The facts only remain with the person who writes/blogs” I’m not tryna be funny but what does that mean??

• zion says:

————

*****

When Tracy posted a couple of weeks ago about Whitney Houston’s death that was a fact confirmed by the news. No Hoax. When Tracy wrote about her children’s book being in the Walmart competition again, those are facts NO hoax. It is Tracy’s responsibility as a writer and a good one to post and write what she believes to be true, in the event it turns out to be otherwise, it is AGAIN her responsibility to own up to what is false. Every situation deserves the benefit of the doubt. Just like all are innocent until proven guilty.

• Soldier1 says:

DAYUM!!

@Zion, YOU’S A BAD MONFUCKER!!! YOU BROKE THAT SHIT DOWN!!!!!!!

• Daisy says:

“It is Tracy’s responsibility as a writer and a good one to post and write what she believes to be true, in the event it turns out to be otherwise, it is AGAIN her responsibility to own up to what is false.

That Zion is my hero 🙂 because that’s exactly whazt she did. Spoken like a the good lawyer YOU MUST BE.

• CorporateBitch says:

“It is Tracy’s responsibility as a writer and a good one to post and write what she believes to be true, in the event it turns out to be otherwise, it is AGAIN her responsibility to own up to what is false”

Ok, so now my mind is blown. Thanks for the clarification and you clarified on da real.

• 2Thick says:

@Zion, ya show off! LOL 🙂

• Coco says:

LMAO 🙂
        because this Zion obviously CHOPPED SOMEBODY DOWN WITH HIS LINGO

• wanda says:

@Zion, thanks for your analogy you basically broke it down and at the same time defended our blog queen’s honor (wonder whatz up with that?)

Anyway, are those really your ABS in your gravi?

• BrownGirl says:

Anyway, are those really your ABS in your gravi?
        ****
        Zion will NOT answer any questions if it ain’t pertaining to the subject matter at hand. trust n believe I know.

• alscream says:

Anyway, are those really your ABS in your gravi?
        ****
        __________

only becuz you;ve tried several times to HOLLA @the brotha

31. Zion says:

smells political to me.

Just shows to go ya… Take anything you read on this blog with a grain of salt. LOL 🙂

And how many of y’all fell for it??

33. Mrs. says:

You did your due diligence by giving us the facts.

so it looks like he left a decent tip for it all to be a lie in the end.

35. UncleEd says: