CNN Suspends Roland Martin because of ‘His Tweet’

February 8, 2012 by The ReadyWriter

CNN has apparently caved in to pressure from gay groups by suspending political analyst Roland Martin for making a joke about British soccer star David Beckham.

A CNN spokeswoman confirmed the suspension with this statement issued today:

“Roland Martin’s tweets were regrettable and offensive. Language that demeans is inconsistent with the values and culture of our organization, and is not tolerated. We have been giving careful consideration to this matter, and Roland will not be appearing on our air for the time being.”

Martin came under attack from gay groups after tweeting a wisecrack about Beckham’s underwear commercial which aired during Sunday’s Super Bowl telecast on NBC.

Martin seemed to suggest in his tweet that his followers “smack the ish out of” any male Super Bowl fan who is “hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad.”

Martin added that “real bruhs” would not purchase underwear advertised by Beckham.

A network suspension is usually the first step towards a contract termination. Martin was a CNN political analyst for 4 years and ths is so unfortuante because I like him.

96 thoughts on “CNN Suspends Roland Martin because of ‘His Tweet’

See ya later, bro.

• Ashanti says:

See ya later, bro.
      ****************
      Yes he should go esp. if they think he offended anyone. IMO he didn’t so yeah I’de be GHOST too.

2. Pretty says:

I think Roland might have had too much to drink.

Don’t drank and Twitter nor Facebook people.

That is stupid. CNN should be ashamed. I really don’t care for Roland, but I don’t think he should have been suspended. They talk worse on Bad Girls Club.

*throws glitter*

5. FloridaGurl says:

*sigh*

This is so ridiculous…the Cheshire Cat did nothing wrong!

When are these entertainers and athletes going to learn that they Gay Mafia has power? Look @how they brought down Isaiah Washington, shyt ain’t nobody heard from him since they came for him.

*CYA* Roland, and you deserve it, arrogance isn’t a good look on you.

P.S. Being as wide as you are and not tall isn’t sexy

#helpful

I don’t think he should have been suspended. This is getting ridiculous.

9. FloridaGurl says:

And I noticed he wasn’t on Soledad’s show this morning, but thought nothing of it…CNN needs to really be ASHAMED of this nonsense!

cnn is kinda lame with this one but i’ll bet roland probably called for people to be fired during his tenure at cnn soooo….

twitter is the debil.

While I’m all for freedom of speech and shyt, there are consequences for using such freedom..

I SAID IT!

• Felicia says:

I SAID IT!
      ***********
      Tamala, Like i just said to Yvonne, please say that one more time!! You are soo right. I see it everyday on here. :LOL:

• RandomChick says:

I SAID IT!
      ***********

Except me I am always happy 🙂 I loves u Tamala

• RandomChick says:

Everybody tom’bout get over it, this shyt is going too far, when half ya’ll can’t stand for somebody to type some shyt on here to you without you going bat shyt cray cray! ____________________________
      Yup…I did that shyt yesterday and had to turn around today and apologize.

You have to think before you speak people.

You have to think before you speak people.
      ———————-
      ’tis all im saying!

12. CeoDawg says:

That was stupid of CNN! To me its only becuz he took a shot at Beckham

• Felicia says:

That was stupid of CNN! To me its only becuz he took a shot at Beckham
      I think so too..I think since he said that folks shouldn’t buy the underwear is probably what caused the issue…ehh well, he’ll get a job at MSNBC or BET or something soon…another network will pick him up.

13. LuLu says:

#welp I’m sure his contract stated consequences for actions like these. Sucks but tis life

Bullshyt at its finest….

dumb move CNN

*yawning* n Shyt…..

Wowwww suspended. When folks make racial comments every damn day, apologize and keep it moving 😦

It wasn’t because he took a shot at Beckham. The GLAAD people came after him. This is just going too far….Freedom of speech is only free if you’re not talking about the gheys

Welp, CNN is always quick to fire and suspend their correspondents. Didn’t they fire Rick Sanchez a few years ago for making a joke about Jon Stewart being Jewish?

• Shawnia says:

———
      My mom just mentioned Rick when I told her CNN suspended Roland. She said Roland should have taken a cue from that.

The gay mafia so fucking worried about policing what people say on their own twitter page…meanwhile men getting beat the shyt out of for wearing skinny jeans…they need to be protesting about that shyt and get off this BS.

Wow, I have lost a lot of respect for CNN.

He will apologize tomorrow and be back to work in a couple weeks or sent on assignment somewhere far off..

• Ionna says:

“He will apologize tomorrow and be back to work in a couple weeks or sent on assignment somewhere far off”
      ==========
      He apologized right after the gay mafia came for him. CNN has decided to suspend him anyway.

22. Fabulous1 says:

I honestly dont care ..

See Rowland you should have just came out already

Well ok. I still don’t get what the hoopla is about, but ok.

I’m still trying to figure out where he attacked the gays?…when he said ‘bruhs’ he was referring to his frat brothers…color me confused for this shit…I just don’t get it

🙂 Hello everyone!!!

27. CeoDawg says:

Roland

“U know u phucked up right?”

This shyt is crazy az hell and CNN went overboard but Roland knows how they operate and should’ve used better judgement

• ELovely says:

Roland

“U know u phucked up right?”

—————————-
      @CeDawg:
      ALL them Black DUDES that Cater to YT Know “What’s Up Though”… BUT They ALWAYZ get Too Fuck-ing Comfortable kicking it With YT that they FORGET they don’t have “The REFLECTION for The PROTECTION” that THEY THOUGHT (They Achieved…)

• Acquitta says:

~~~~~~~~~
        WELL, GOT DAMNED, you ain’t nebba lied…

Roland….Bless his heart..I don’t see how gays were insulted by his tweet *shrugs*
    ~#thisissomeolebullshit

The Mafia is alive and well and now calls itself GLAAD. Are these guys wearing rainbow colored sheets now? Not everyone is gay and a lot of us heterosexuals are just as proud to be what GOD made us as you are of what he made you. If someone gay bashes, then certainly call them on it. But this straight up lying should just be beneath them! They’ve got bigger fish to fry! Oops … Have I offended the gay fish community?
    GET A GRIP, PLEASE!! Here’s a little cautionary tale for you — When I was a member of the United States military, I was one of 3 Black people in the entire area, much less squadron. The worse perpetrator of the vitriolic, venomous racial hatred spewed upon us daily was a gay, white male. He was in the closet of course, but everyone involved knew. You know what they told me — “He might be a punk, but he’s still one of us, nigger!” Think about it.

30. Dana says:

ohhhh well, he shouldn’t have said it. i’m sure a lot of you know certain companies require employee’s to sign documents stating they will ALWAYS represent the company in a positive light.

if you are arrested for a dui and the job finds out you could be terminated, if you make offensive comments on your facebook/twitter/online you could be terminated, etc this is really no different. he represents CNN, and if CNN stood by his side it would appear like they are homophobic.

didn’t he walk off of solidad obriens show? i thought i ran across that story somewhere on the net, claiming he had things to do.

So Sandusky got bail, but Roland gets suspended? Um….

• alscream says:

So Sandusky got bail, but Roland gets suspended? Um….
      ———
      i heard on the news that he’s watching the young school chirren in the school next door from his *house arrest* window at home. monfucker prolly dreamin about hittin that young ass.

• Ashanti says:

~~~~
        I heard that too. I think they’ve notified the court or something like that. as long as he doesn’t sneak out and try to grab one of them boys he good.

• Anthony says:

as long as he doesn’t sneak out and try to grab one of them boys he good.
        ————
        thta’s just it he’s probably feenin for boy booty.

• Adam says:

~~~~~~~
      YOU gotta have tough skin to be apart of this blogging family. Dayum!!

• Cameo1 says:

YOU gotta have tough skin to be apart of this blogging family. Dayum!!
        ————
        esp. if you a white boy

• Adam says:

YOU gotta have tough skin to be apart of this blogging family. Dayum!!
        ————
        esp. if you a white boy
        ~~~~~
        and it’s all good cause guess what?
        i ain’t afraid of the truth and i still have my opinion and will VOICE my opinion based upon my beliefs. there’s good and bad in every race which goes along with RIGHT OR WRONG!!!! and Wrong is wrong no matter what color you are.

• adrianepage says:

Did some shit start all because I said: “CNN is a white network and white boy country. never get comfortable amongst them because they will slapp you and remind you, you can play amongst us but you’re still not one of us.”

• Cameo1 says:

ADRIANE: I think you touched a nerve with Adam.

• Adam says:

ADRIANE: I think you touched a nerve with Adam.
        ~~~~~
        No she didn’t touch a nerve, her comment “never get comfortable amongst them because they will slapp you and remind you, you can play amongst us but you’re still not one of us.” is a broad statement because it speaks to an entire race when all people are not the same regardless of their skin color.

——————-
        It speaks to white racist america esp. in broadcast journalism. now if that shoe don’t fit you then you don’t wear it. point~blank~period!

• Adam says:

My only point is, none of us are the same, nor are we in agreement with everthing that happens in the news. and yes I am a white boy comfortable in my own skin and comfortable in the “CEO blogging community” therefore your comment may reflect white media but it damn sure don’t reflect me.

*********
        @Adam, I never said it did, nor was i directing my comments at any caucasians on this blog. I spoke in general and stand by what I said. we don’t have to agree but my comment is my opinion., respect it!!

And that:
        esp. if you a white boy @Cameo,
        ———–
        I never cosigned that, my comment was minus anything personal just a general statement. Now i’m done.

This shit don’t make any sense, gays lost their minds this is why GOD is going to have them burn in HELL real talk.

Fag or Gay!

To hell with them….this shit is not natural so it will always be discussed! How about they build a rainbow and live over that motherfucker! LOL 🙂

Like Tracy Morgan said: “If you can take a dick, you can take a joke.”

From reading his tweet, I don’t see how he offended anyone, let alone some fags. He did not specifically say “If a GAY dude at your party…smack the ish outta him”. All he said was “If a dude at your party…” I cannot tell where he might have been advocating violence against homosexuals.

Roland is jealous of an attractive physically fit male and he took it out on twitter. That’s all.

Did I miss something? What was offensive about his comment?

39. Marky says:

Roland insulted H&M, one of the largest clothing retailers in the world…ALSO one of the biggest television advertising patrons…basically, the people who PAYS HIS SALARY…

THAT’S why CNN gave Roland the boot…he LITERALLY bit the hand that feeds him…

NO ONE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN FOR SPEAKING THEIR MIND

41. ELovely says:

I thought this dude WAS gay, guess he will be holding a press conference finally announcing such soon.

• Mrs. says:

*****************
      he’s happily married and always talks about his wife. I doubt he’s gay.

• sane says:

he’s happily married and always talks about his wife. I doubt he’s gay.
        *****************
        marriage is the code for downlow.

• QTip says:

marriage is the code for downlow.
        _________

C’mon Sane, get a grip not all married men on the downlow. Every man ain’t takin IT up the azz.

• sane says:

marriage is the code for downlow.
        OK!!
        I digress, SOME married FAGS are in their marriage to cover the fact that they GAY!

• Mrs. says:

OK!!
        *********
        Just like SOME married men cheat, while SOME are faithful, it’s a ctach 22.

• Gia says:

@Sane, QTip & Mrs:
        I still don’t see how his comment was homophobic or how he was bashing gays. I don’t see how he offended anyone. It’s B.S. IMO.

Oh and @Sane, I agree with QTip, all married men ain’t DOWNLOW.

• Pointman says:

Oh and @Sane, I agree with QTip, all married men ain’t DOWNLOW.
        ————
        that pink silk scarf he wearin and holdin them flowers in that pic shole don’t scream i’m a hetrosexual male and that’s fa damn sho!!!!
        Wassup y’all

Damn CNN. COON NETWORK.COM

43. Marky says:

Is this the original tweet?

“If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him! #superbowl­”

When did dude start equating to gays? If you want to say that advocating violence is bad, that’s fine but I don’t understand the connection to gays. Please explain.

Wait a minute, I thought Roland Martin was gay. My gaydar is fiercely accurate and I would be shocked if he were straight.

nothing positive is coming from GLAAD or CNN on this one. They have taken this to far.

*****
      yeah i see nothing offensive by what he said either. unless the reference if a man at your superbowl party is wanting or lusting after another man then slap his ass. IDK *shrugs*

46. UncleEd says:

I notice how some of y’all flip-flop on issues but i guess that’s because you comment b4 reading the full post!

——————————
      LOL 🙂 I’m guilty of that myself sometimes.

CNN just wants to censor Roland that’s all.