Soul Train Host, Don Cornelius Dead At 75

February 1, 2012 by The ReadyWriter

The man with the smooth voice and who would take us on the groovy-est trip in America, was found dead this morning. Don Cornelius was found in his California home at 4:00 am and the cause of death is suicide.

Born in Chicago, Il., Cornelius started the show “Soul Train” virtually on his own in 1971. The show ran until 2006 and for many years defined black style and entertainment. Cornelius, who was one of the early employees of the historic WVON radio station in Chicago., gave exposure to numerous black entertainers, including James Brown, Aretha Franklin and many others.

He was commonly known to say in parting: “And you can bet your last money it’s gonna be a stone gas honey! I’m Don Cornelius and as always in parting we wish you “peace, love and soul”…

TMZ is reporting that police found his body around 4 am (Pacific Time) and that he’d died from a gunshot wound to the head. Police believe the wound was self-inflicted, indicating suicide. Cornelius was rushed to the hospital, but pronounced dead on arrival.

97 thoughts on “Soul Train Host, Don Cornelius Dead At 75

Aw man, may he R.I.P.

2. sane says:

😦 Dayum, dayum, dayum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R.I.P. Don. It was a stone gas 😦

4. 2Thick says:

May he R.I.P.

😦

His fro was back in the 70’s

5. Mrs. says:

wonder why he waited till he was a ripe ole 75 b4 he killed himself…so sad 😦 were things that bad?

6. G says:

So sad that after all he done he lost hope. Just saw him last night on Unsung (Full Force) episode. R.I.P.

This is so sad! I love Don Cornelius and Soul Train! May he rest in peace! Wishing him……Love, Peace & Soul!

Just awful, leaving your family with this to bear!

Whoa!

Guessing he watched the revamped awards?

Guessing he watched the revamped awards?
      ~~~~~~~
      They didn’t even invite him this yr. Was he even in the audience?
      May he be at peace now.

• QueenC says:

They didn’t even invite him this yr. Was he even in the audience?
      May he be at peace now.
      ***************
      That is so disrespectful! Agreed.

I’m always a skeptic, so show me the gun powder residue test for Don’s hand. They need to do a thorough investigation.

RIP

11. Spice_Girl says:

I still can’t believe this! 😦

I didn’t know he had any children……..but this is just sad! I mean who knows why he took this route, but suicide should not be an option, I mean he was 75 years old that’s like running the ball down the field and getting tackled on the 1yard line! He was almost home anyway I guess…and Im not trying to be insensitive or anything, but this is just a horrible way to die!

So many questions left unanswered, I just wish he was able to reach out to someone or that someone around him would have noticed something different in him, and talked to him a little more! My prayers go out to his family and friends……….what a tragedy!

14. Naz says:

its a shame I dont believe nothing, t.v internet, news, blogs say anymore.

• KatMan says:

its a shame I dont believe nothing, t.v internet, news, blogs say anymore.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      cosign.

RIP DON

*Cries* 😦 But why?

Feel for his son and feel for Don in addition to his family…

Still sad…Don’t want to get into this again…

19. Pointman says:

I wonder if they are going to release the 911 call like they did Demi’s?

• DaisyDukes says:

I wonder if they are going to release the 911 call like they did Demi’s?
      ~~
      Why did they even bother w/Demi’s, it was altered.

“Law enforcement sources tell TMZ … one of Don’s two sons made the call around 4:00 AM … and paramedics were immediately dispatched to Don’s Sherman Oaks home in an effort to save his life.

Don was transported to a nearby hospital — where he was later pronounced dead.

Cornelius was 75 years old.”

• Lisa says:

That’s sad that his sons were the ones to find him like that…if that’s the way it happened.

——————————————————————-
        cosign.

• CorporateBitch says:

RIP Don Cornelius. I *love* soul train, just like every other Black person out here. I feel extra sorry for his sons who had to bare witness to the madness. Wow, my heart truly goes out to his family.

Oh I forgot I gotta go.
    carry on people.

I wonder what demon was chasing him for him to end his own life?? espefcially at 75? Im at a lost 😦

This is awful, depression is one cruel spirit I tell ya 😦

Usually when a person commits suicide by shooting themeslves in the head there is a death reflex that makes them grip the gun. It is not like in the movies where the gun falls out the hand. It is usually a tight grip if they died instantly.

25. applebottomgirl2011 says:

so sad…

26. Ms. Kayla says:

The news is saying he had health problems derived from a stroke.

27. SallyFromChi says:

This is just toooo sad. I’ll always remember the first broadcast of Soul Train and THE VOICE. What a great loss. I only wonder WHY on the first day of B H M.

Peace, love and Soul, R.I.P Don C.

to have such great life then to take it, makes no sense to me. 😦

RIP Don Cornelius.
    LOVE, PEACE, AND SOUL

31. CeoDawg says:

Soooooul Train……shock and saddened by the untimely passing of Don Cornelius. The deep, rustic voice who @ the end of every show with his trademark, “I’m Don Cornelius and in part, we wish you love, peace, and SOOOOUL!!!” Even though the show is no longer on the air, I can remember some of the dance moves

32. Tori says:

The one an only mc of the great days of soul train peace and love to the family with soul

According to Gods Word!! This is not a good look at all… RIP Don Cornelius..

34. UncleEd says:

A fan forever Don, RIP!

Don was the pimp Of Soul. God bless you Don
    R.I.P.

36. Tabatha says:

RIP, Don Corneilus, legend, trailblazer, icon, pioneer,music man,African American genius. Thank you for bringing love,peace and soul to the entire world. Your legacy will live on forever.

I remember when it came on twice every Saturday at Noon and 6PM EDT/EST. I am 33 years old so Im not old enough to remember all of the pre 1990s episodes but as long as I shall live, I will always remember the voice and the famous quote.

He changed the world in a HUGE way for everyone,especially African Americans. I guess not even he thought it would get as large as it did. Mr Cornelius, we wish you respect love peace and soooouuuul!!!! R.I.P.

I hope his soul is on a train to heaven

Souuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul Traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain!
    R.I.P., Don.

40. UnpredictableMe says:

He had health problems. Not sure, if they were terminal.
    But, it just goes to show you that money, in and of itself, doesn’t necessarily buy happiness for people.

Because he DEFINITELY had the money.

He wasn’t just the host. He OWNED the show.
    An EXTREMELY rare occurrence for a black man, at the time.

41. BigBelly says:

R.I.P. Don, and thank you for bringing Soul Train to the world. You are a true legend and icon. Love, peace, and soul!

42. Valerie says:

R.I.P. Mr. Corneilus! Thank you for all the wonderful Soul Train years. You will be missed! “PEACE, LOVE and SOUL”!

R.I.P. Don…and in parting we wish you peace, love and soul.

It is time we create an organization to educate and enable entertainers and well known professionals how to deal with adversaries and Health issues.
    How to seek help, where to go if you’re depressed who to talk too what alternative medication to try if normal medication not working? Most Entertainers and famous people do not know where to turn when they are facing adversaries

This ol’ white boy loved to watch and listen to Soul Train. Mr. Cornelius, I always thought, epitomized “cool”.

Yea we all watched…I remember watching Soul Train and learning the dance moves. Loved it. But I’m sorry he ended his life in this manner though. Some of us can overcome our demons, some cannot.
    R.I.P. Don.

• The-ReadyWriter says:

———–

my first soul train experience was when “the Jackson 5” was on there doing the robot to their song “the dancing machine”. we would wake up on Saturday mornings just to see that. 🙂 He introduced all the new artist and soul train was the place to catch it all.

• Civil says:

my first soul train experience was when “the Jackson 5″ was on there doing the robot to their song “the dancing machine”. we would wake up on Saturday mornings just to see that. He introduced all the new artist and soul train was the place to catch it all.
        ~~~~~~
        Ah man, it’s even bring back memories for Tra, thanks for sharing Boo.

• Donte says:

Hey people., Ms. Bell 🙂

• The-ReadyWriter says:

~~~~~~
        Ah man, it’s even bring back memories for Tra
        *********
        Yes it is, R.I.P. Don Cornelius may he find peace, love and soul thru eternity.

• Pretty says:

Tra, what’s been up Sis? I can’t get in here like I want to,

• QTip says:

~~~~~~
        @Trace
        The show became as much a Saturday morning staple as corn flakes and orange juice.

RIP, Don!

Damn and on the first day of black history month, may he rest…

Damn and on the first day of black history month, may he rest…
      **********
      That’s the thing about committing suicide, you pick your day of departure.

so sad…

R.I.P. to the “MAIN VEIN OF SOUL TRAIN”.

51. SoldierOne says:

LOVE, PEACE AND SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

52. SallyFromChi says:

Wendy Williams reported Don Cornelius’s passing today. She called him the host of Soul Train. I hope somebody set her straight. He was more than the host. He was the creator of the longest running syndicated television series.

We in Chicago feel especially sad because Mr. Cornelius was from our city and this is where Soul Train was created. I remember watching it in its early days when it was just high school students after school dancing on a rather bare set. If you get a chance to see the special about Soul Train be sure to check it out. Condolences to the friends and family.

RIP Don Cornelius….the Soul Train has reached its final destination…the stairway to Heaven. We will miss you.

54. Anonymous says:

May he r.i.p.

Soul Train had:
    *The soul train dancers
    *The soul train line
    *The soul train scramble board
    *Soul Train awards

R.I.P. Don..Tv One running old episodes now.

Soul Train had:
      *The soul train dancers
      *The soul train line
      *The soul train scramble board
      *Soul Train awards
      ********************
      You forgot: The Soul Train Lady of Soul Awards

RIP Mr. Don
    Thank-You for up-lifting many artists’ careers by giving them a platform to perform on television.

Smh something is not clean in the milk with this “suicide” !!!!

• ELovely says:

Yeah Man,
      I’m SKEPTICAL about this Suicide Story ALSO becuz I Put Absolutely NOTHING PAST Hollyweird and The Industry as far as OFFING MFers (WORD)

What a damn shame.Did’nt his friends know something was wrong??????? GEESHHHHHHH

59. annonymous says:

I am thinking he had some sort of terminal illness and wanted to go out on his own terms. In 2009 when he was in court for his divorce he told the judge that he had significant health issues and he wanted his divorce finalized before he died. That statement speaks volumes.

This dude had a better life than most people even though he was ill and having family problems. Its hard for me to feel sorry for a suicide victim when in effect they murdered themselves and caused pain and grief to their whole family by doing so.

• Acquitta says:

***********

True..I don’t know of a problem that money can’t buy away.

• Mrs. says:

True..I don’t know of a problem that money can’t buy away.
        ~~~~~~~~
        Things that money can’t buy: love, the peace he wished everyone @ the end of his show and happiness

• Rezzie says:

True..I don’t know of a problem that money can’t buy away.
        you can’t buy your way into heaven and you can’t buy your way out of hell!

• RandomChcik says:

How can anyone not find sympathy for someone who murders themselves? How desperate and hopeless he must have felt to take his own life! I feel so bad that he thought his life was so worthless as to take it, maybe even feeling that he was doing some of his family members a favor.
        RIP Mr. Cornelius.

• AlScream says:

———————-
        Do you think his YT wife will feel guilty cause he killed himself? she prbly glad esp. if she gon be pd. black men kill me grabbing and marrying these white women that they wouldn’t even have if they didn’t have MONEY…she prolly didn’t even give 2shits about him.

• CorporateBitch says:

**********************
        I Cosign Al.
        He talked black, promoted black but saw and loved white. How sad.

61. ELovely says:

that white heifer he was married to put him through hell and it drove him to suicide.

• Sane says:

E,
      Yeah his actions for the past few yrs show an uphappy camper. RIP Don!

• ELovely says:

it’s sad that he couldn’t help his dad. Don probably thought it was the only way to resolve his issues. I hope he is in peace.

• Ionna says:

Sane & ELove,
        I’m just sad that an African American LEGEND could find no other recourse for his problems than to take his own life . . . it just breaks my heart for all the good he had done in his life, in the end no one could do anything for him .

• Sane says:

Anyways, Don was a good guy. Did a lot of great things. I’m sorry that his life had to end this way.

• QueenC says:

@ELove,
        I hope he is in peace.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        i dont think there is much peace after killing yourself. He could have went a different route. Now someone who did so much good will be remembered as the man who killed himself. Awful to do that to your kids and family. So you hate yourself and want to die…think of the people you will leave here to deal with it.

62. AnnaB says:

R.I.P. DON CORNELIUS!!! YOU WILL SURELY BE MISSED!

63. AnnaB says:

“Love Peace & Soul” RIP Don Cornelius, thanks for everything!

WHAT A LOST!! SO MANY MEMORIES WITH WATCHING SOUL TRAIN. I FEEL LIKE A PIECE OF ME IS GONE RIP DON WE’LL MISS YOU. LOVE PEACE AND SOUL IN YOUR REST.

65. Spice_Girl says:

R.I.P Don and may God rest your Sooooooooul.

66. KatMan says:

R.I.P. my man and may God bless your soul.

Don and James Brown both suckers to much younger women. They stood for Black Empowerment only to fall for that European pussy…its all pink on the inside. Not that an African could not have done the same thing, and it would have been just as bad..but one didn’t. sad.