“Red Tails Finishes at #2 In The Box Office

January 23, 2012 by The ReadyWriter

Director George Lucas’ fictionalized account of the heroics of the Tuskegee Airmen in World War II finished at a respectable #2 at the box office this weekend.

According to Box Office Mojo, Red Tails took in more than $19 million over the 3-day weekend. The #1 box office hit this weekend was ‘Underworld Awakening,’ which raked in $25.4 million.

Lucas, who financed Red Tails with $6 million of his own money, could have made a more realistic movie rather than the romanticized Star Wars remake that it became. But he chose to go with the bells and whistles rather than the harsh realities of flying escort for heavy bombers in Hitler’s cold war in 1944-45.

The Tuskegee Airmen were the first black military aviation bombers to see air-to-air combat in the U.S. military. The name ‘Red Tails’ was derived when the pilots of the 332nd Fighter Group painted the tails of their P-51′s red.

58 thoughts on ““Red Tails Finishes at #2 In The Box Office

At last. A movie that my father can go see.

Why is Ne Yo in this movie?

3. Ms. Kayla says:

Terence’s wack arse should have been excluded from the pic.

GOOD MORNING

I WENT AND SAW IT WAS GOOD

My mom tried to go see it this weekend and she said the theater was sold out!

I had no interest in seeing red tails and I didn’t appreciate the marketing behind it

• SueWee says:

——————————–

I guess I wasn’t paying attention. What was wrong with the marketing, EB?

I thought it was a very good movie, & Neyo did exceptionally well! I expected the others to perform the way they did, being seasoned actors!

8. SueWee says:

So I wonder how much of a profit did Lucas make after he paid everyone one off for doing their part with this film….

(A movie in which I didn’t go see)…. Just thought to point that out!!!

Haven’t seen this yet, but I am looking forward to seeing it this weekend! I am always interested in how Black History is portrayed in Hollywood…..

I enjoyed the movie, yes it was a little corny but I enjoyed seeing a movie with plenty of us in lead roles that didn’t involve dressing in drag, shucking and/or jiving.

What’s up with the patches on Cuba’s pants?!

I didnt get a chance to go see the movie but I will this weekend for sure!

I thought it was a good movie, well acted. I didn’t care for action/flying scenes but I’m not an action movie girl. Overall I give it a B. Good movie, but not a GREAT movie.

14. applebottomgirl2011 says:

I typically lurk, but I don’t not understand why not support the movie. Why do we always have to find a reason not to support each other? It was the one of the few African American movie with out a cross dresser or any truly negative characters made in the last couple of years. Just so you know, The showing I attended in Gwinnett County had more non-black in the seats.

Goes back to lurking….

• Bigbelly says:

The showing I attended in Gwinnett County had more non-black in the seats.
      ***************
      white folk curious about us. they be the main ones in our soul food joints and checking out movies about us. so why am i not surprsied. sometimes i can’t get into sylvia’s for YT. no shade though.

• Applebottom says:

The showing I attended in Gwinnett County had more non-black in the seats.
        ***************
        __________________________
        YES but my point is, they (white people) will support us more than we’ll support each other that’s my point!

• ELove says:

The showing I attended in Gwinnett County had more non-black in the seats.
        ***************
        __________________________
        ******************
        So True @Applebottom, so true!!!

• SpiceGirl says:

I cosign you Applebottom and don’t forget we are so critical of one another too. So sad.

• SlickRick says:

I have no problem supporting good work, but I have a serious problem with mofos trying to mindfuck me into supporting a project to “prove Hollywood wrong.”

********************
        That’s a shame. But I’m still not going to go see a movie just because it has a lot of black folks in it. I can watch youtube for that. I don’t go to the movies just because it has a lot of white folks in it either. It has to be worth my time and my money.

• XMen says:

Goes back to lurking….
      **************************
      why must i be reminded of slavery just to support a movie? I don’t go see every movie or those movies i think i would enjoy. My money supports things that I need or enjoy.

• applebottomgirl2011 says:

@Xmen,

You are entitled to see whatever you want, it’s your money, do what you want with it. I think some of the ignorant comments like (Why must I be put back in slave status just to support a movie?) is what got people in an uproar abt. We as blacks often say we should support each other, but when it comes time to actually support each other, we don’t show up. You can stan for Bey And Jay, but can’t stand for your History? The past played a very important part in your now present and future. You won’t know where you are going until you know where you’ve been.

• XMen says:

———————
        Yeah gurl whateva…#1)., i don’t stand for bey and jay and #2), i’m a grown ass man and know exactly where i’m going caus i’m too fuckin old not know where i’ve been. SGTFOHWTBS!!!!

I kept hearing see this movie or they will stop making movies with black cast. I rather hear see this movie because it’s a good movie with great actors.

16. HevLord says:

Movie might be alotta hype but i may check it out.

17. RandomChcik says:

Look at that fine ass cast of black men 🙂 Lawd have mercy. might just check it out for that alone.
    #don’tjudgeme lol 🙂

8 of the real Tuskegee airmen and 10 actors in the film. director overcasted by 2 of em.

• RandomChcik says:

******
      and your point?

19. SpiceGirl says:

Good morning
    I went and saw it and thought it was good!

I didn’t get a chance to see the movie but I will this weekend for sure.

21. ms. Kayla says:

I was see this movie too, anytime we are not in drag or doing the electric slide…I’m all for it

22. Tabatha says:

Good morning everyone.

I’m going to take the kids to see this movie i’m going to make a history lesson out of it. lol

If they’re supposed to be set back in the Tuskegee airmen days their clothes are spot on.

25. Pointman says:

I didn’t get a chance to go see it but i’m planning too soon.

26. keisha says:

although it was slow in some places and could have a lot deeper, i thought it was a good movie.

I guess I’ll go see it although I was tempted to buy the bootleg copy over the weekend.

yeah some of y’all may not wanna support this movie because it’s not the same ole boofonery negative shit we see our people potray on the big screen. like *tyler perry* cough..if we ain’t dancing the electric slide or being mocked, we don’t wanna support that. we’d rather support the bullshit than the history lesson to be learned.

GOOOOOD TUESDAY YALL

GOOOOOD TUESDAY YALL

*GOES BACK TO LURK MODE UNTIL SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENS…

31. Marky says:

George Lucas financed the entire movie out of his pocket. No studio would touch it. He came out of pocket to the tune of $93 million ($58 million production + $35 million distribution).

It’s a decent flick, but I think HBO’s The Tuskegee Airmen is a better movie. Nonetheless, I commend George Lucas fighting to get this story on the big screen and prove to Hollywood honchos that movies with a predominate black cast can make money. It was extremely gratifying to see black folks depicted in a positive light as intelligent, determined, brave, and loyal.

• Pretty says:

i knew the movie was going to be a lackluster. But how many effin times can u tell the same story. And when you look at the cast, it’s like yeah, I’m still not captivated enough to go see this. It aired on HBO years prior -same story- so hats off to the studios for tanking $35+million into this one.
      they were saturating twitter and FB with this bs all week long. go see it, great movie. if they make the budget back I’d be surprised. I dont support movies simply cuz the cast is all black. I’m a bigger supporter of originality. this wasn’t it.

Marky,
        He’s not going to see a profit on this film, unfortunately. That’s why he couldn’t find anyone to back it financially.

i enjoyed the movie. it was not “glory” but it was still a great movie. i learned a couple of things as a matter of fact. i was really happy to see some of my favorite actors from the wire…i counted 5 people from the wire in this movie…good job overall.

33. KatMan says:

I took my Son last night

Movie looks really informative and interesting. Might check it out when I have the time.

35. SueWee says:

Great Debaters was a GREAT movie, even my older kids liked that movie…

• Acquitta says:

Great Debaters was a GREAT movie, even my older kids liked that movie…
      ——————
      but we talkin bout another movie now ms. wee, so um keep up 😉

And for those that dont want to go see it… Dont.!!!
    Ain’t nothing wrong with that… just dont go into some BS social reason why you didnt… You just didnt want to see it… And thats fine.

I have DishNetwork and they were running a behind the scenes look at Red Tails. It was very cute. They had some of the remaining Tuskegee Airmen involved in the process. They were correcting things as small as the way a hat was tilted. I learned alot like, Lt Little is actually a Brit, the casting person also casted for The Wire, and Other stuff. I was truly impressed.

Black folks aint never effin satisfied. Yes- it had a white Director. Guess what….for ANY movie in Hollywood to hit a screen (Tyler Perry/Spike Lee included), some white Jewish guy has to have a had in it. It’s just the way it is.

Most folks complaining will be 1st in line for a another “Friday” sequel but not for an educational, fact-based movie on the respectable men of our culture