“Who Felt The Earthquake?”

August 23, 2011 by The ReadyWriter

A shuddering 6.0 magnitude earthquake shook the East coast to its core about a couple of hours ago. Reports of ground tremors and buildings swaying first filtered onto social networking website Twitter.com, followed immediately by Breaking news reports on the network and local news.

Tremors were felt in Washington DC, Chapel Hill, N.C., Aiken, SC, Virginia, New York City and New Jersey. My girlfriend called me from her office all shaken up by tremor.

The White House, parts of the Pentagon and other government buildings were evacuated. Many New Yorkers, still wary 10 years after 9/11, poured out of office buildings and into the streets as tremors caused buildings to sway. Office workers were advised to go home and many business closed for the day.

Since the earthquake was not centered way out in the ocean, there are no Tsunami alerts for NY, NJ or DC.

Worried cell phone users around the country checking on family and friends jammed networks causing major outages at Verizon and Sprint. But T-Mobile reported few outages.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

Did you feel the earthquake? I didn’t…

67 thoughts on ““Who Felt The Earthquake?”

Yes Maam I did except no evacuation in MD

2. Pat says:

I felt a tremor here in Jersey, but it was over just as fast as it started… My coworker went home lazy chick, we only had an hour and a half left

3. Vaughn says:

Nope none on the grounds…although my life has some shaking to it everyday.

i felt it. Something i never want to feel again. Everything started to shake. Thought I was going crazy, then realized what it was. Crazy. It was cool, but I am still shook up.

As I’m sure the earthquake was a doozie but I felt nothing. Bish sittin next to me swear she did.

• Mrs. Hawthorne says:

*********************
      she was white wasn’t she?

My brother works in DC and he said he felt it. He said he was pissed off because it knocked over his Sprite lol. I love him.

7. Al-scream says:

yess tracy here in newark nj.. i work at newark airport everything shut down.

My whole family is up in NY. I’ll just continue to pray for everyone. They say after shocks might follow and be worse. I seriously hope not.

I just talked to my colleagues in our DC office. Their building was evacuated and I was told it was SCARY as hell! They are going to took the rest of the day off…it was just too much for them.

I didn’t feel it, but everyone in my office felt it which makes me kinda mad because I feel like was cheated, but I digress (lol). I’m in Manhattan, New York. We evacuated our building but ultimately were allowed to re-enter shortly thereafer. A lot of people were given the option to go home if they didn’t feel comfortable coming back into the building. I’m still… (crossing fingers) though

Long time lurker here. I’m here in VA, about 30 mins from the epicenter and it was scary. Shook my desk and computer and I could still feel the ground moving a few seconds while standing.

Now where’s Rezzie to warn us about the impending doom?

• Pretty says:

Now where’s Rezzie to warn us about the impending doom?
      ———————-

she’ll be here directly to let chall know the KimK post massacre caused all of this.

12. Dana says:

Definitely felt it in Eastern NC.

So far my peeps in DC/VA that i hit up, felt it and are all doing okay.

PS:
    Americans need to be briefed on ‘what to do during an earthquake’ from what i been reading ..’i.e. them running outside instead of going under a table or standing in a door way’.

Ashanti, we had briefins about it but I think it’s a natural instinct to run outside for fear a bldg will collapse on you

I felt it in Northern NJ and the ground moving under your feet is not whats up!

Errbody be safe up there!

I felt the tremors here in Carlisle PA, about 1.5 hours north of DC.

Definitely the most nervous and confusing 20 seconds of my life.

I felt it. I’m in VA but I thank God I’s a still here!!!!!!!!!

18. Fabulous1 says:

I sure felt it! Felt like a loooooong 40 seconds too. Evacuations from buildings all around us…..like a party in the park….cept no liquor.

Dreading going home to find the damage….I know every damn piece of glass over my fireplace has fallen.

19. KatMan says:

Long time lurker here as well..felt it in VA Beach

Tra, it was felt in CT and they evac some buildings out here as well.

I was outside running my mouth and felt not a thing. Was too busy trying to figure out why my job was evacuating the whole building?

22. Tabatha says:

I felt the building sway for a few good seconds and i was like damm i hope NY aint under attack again but this time the hood. I had to leave the building. They didnt have to tell me twice.

I’m here at work in Philly at a hospital and didn’t feel a damn thing, but you know some folks are always extra. Darn old Irish lady talking bout she thought she was having a seizure in the cafeteria, and tried to play cool. I almost fell out my chair, I’m like gtfoh I aint feel jack, but what aint cool is them knee socks she got on, and its about 90 out…….

I live in NY and work in CT. Was @ lunch in the mall and came back to my office building and the entire building was evacuated because the building was shaking.

I called my fam in NY and they felt it too, but none of our cell phones were working for a while…

Yes. Felt it under my feet then the building began 2 sway! Needless 2 say, office chairs & all were turned over by us doing the road runner out the door!

I’m in Baltimore, and yes I felt it. I work in a hospital and we were evacuated for about 30 minutes, then back to work.

But T-Mobile reported few outages.
    That’s some bullshyt. I have T-Mobile, as well as many of my co-workers and patients, and none of us can get through to anyone. All of our phones say, “searching”.

I was the first one out of my office like “Da’ hayle?”

At first I felt dizzy, then a rumbling. That made me realize I wasn’t dizzy – the building was swaying! I grabbed my purse and flip flops and headed out. We returned to the building about 20 mins later. Experts predict than NYC is due for a major earthquake. I just wanted to be prepared in case this was it.

Didn’t feel a thing but some of my co-workers did.

31. Crystal says:

Yes I felt it! Checking in From the South Jersey..bout 15 min of Philadelphia! My office was swaying so hard on the second floor! just WOW

32. Anonymous says:

I live in Rhode Island. I didn’t feel the quake, but some people I know did.

33. Dana says:

No aftershocks please?

34. Zion says:

yea i’m in VA they just letting us back in the building at work. we felt it im about 20 miles away from where the earthquake occured. crazy feeling to have a whole building shake on you

35. Al-scream says:

Hope yall all stay safe Im Out!

I ain’t feel SHIT!
    I was on a “table” with a light and speculum up my ass! Can yall imagine if the quake was going down at that very moment?

37. Pointman says:

I felt it. I was driving when it happened so I pulled over thinking I had a flat tire.

38. Cindy says:

I didn’t feel anything in GA and I hope and *pray* that people everywhere are alright. FEMA says the entire East Coast should prepare for Hurricane Irene.

No one here in Lynbrook new York waited for the call to evacuate. It was “grab your bag and get out of the building” day.

40. IntenseShit says:

No aftershocks please?

41. Pretty says:

I felt it here in PA. I never thought I’d be in an earthquake even though we have some in the York PA area every once in a while. The fact that so many people in such a large area felt it is pretty scary. I heard someone in my office say that even when they have them in California they don’t usually reach such a wide area *

42. Marky says:

I’m in Atlanta and I DID feel a very small shake….lasted only about 15 to 20 seconds….didn’t know what it was?!?

People were on FB and Twitter acting like it was armageddon outside

*packs up keyboard*

I’m out! SMH

I see new people in this post 🙂

46. Naz says:

i live in Maryland so yes i felt it. DC is a mess because of it too

47. Tori says:

Folks say they felt it in Augusta, but I think they lying. I was north of Augusta in SC and felt not a damn thang! Oh well…

48. Miss Rina says:

Nope was in Legal seafood chowing down. I felt NOTHING…..