“The Movie: ‘Jumping The Broom’ Addresses Abstinence”

May 16, 2011 by The ReadyWriter

I saw the movie this weekend and why it is being dubbed a comedy, makes me wonder? But I like because the movie celebrates two very important things, marriage and family.

As two families from two different socioeconomic levels merge because their son and daughter have taken a vow of abstinence and, after a six-month dating period, are headed toward marriage. As two family cultures collide, communication breaks down and the planned marriage almost collapses.

The bride vows abstinence until married after being tired of going to bed with all the wrong men.

The movie has an all-star cast that includes Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Laz Alonso (Lord I love him but he has such a flat ass), Loretta Devine, Meagan Good, Tasha Smith, Julie Bowen, Romeo Miller, DeRay Davis, Valarie Pettiford and Mike Epps.

This movie (“Jumping the Broom”) explores the cultural and spiritual challenges of abstinence, motherhood, family, love and relationships alongside themes such as forgiveness, family secrets, and misperceptions.

I laughed and cried yet commend the fact that, moral standards were at the forefront of this movie’s theme.

Now I ask you., my readers, is abstinence before marriage a reality in your opinion?

44 thoughts on ““The Movie: ‘Jumping The Broom’ Addresses Abstinence”

great movie!

Laz Alonzo #CGI

🙂

This was a must see for me. Too many handsome men not to see it ya’ll. bout time tracy talked about it.

Im thinkin Laz looks better far away

NO NO NO…I just cannot see what it is that chicks see in Laz Alonso. He ain’t cute and his face is always screwed up like he smell ass or something….

Laz does nothing for me, he looks arrogant as heyul. Ju not dat fine 😦

I love me some fine black men and this flick was full of em. 🙂 *licks tongue*

7. Ms. Kayla says:

HEYYYY EVERYONE HOPE ALL IS WELL!!!

8. DaisyDukes says:

I love to see black love movies. Dont get me wrong, I love Tyler Perry, but I’m just tired of the whole Madea act. I want to see something different and this movie was different.

Good morning everyone!!! They promoting this movie hard! They can stop…..i’m going to see it

I saw it! The last 5 minutes of that movie had me rolling…I literally had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. There were some powerful scenes in that movie though.

That is one sexy man right there… I’d tap that fo’ sho…

IMO the movie was about a lot more than just abstaining from sex until marriage. Romeo definitely got me wanting to be a cougar!! LOL! And Mike Epps is a FOOL!

Romeo’s Dad better warn him about those white girls he seem to like dating
    ( in real life )

He may be the one to give away everything ( to the whites) that his father worked very hard for.

If MasterP hands over his empire to his son, and his son goes and marries a white girl or better yet has a baby by one, they can kiss that empire goodbye!

Helloooooo

I wanna see this movie but Romeo isn’t making me want to jump the broom!

15. Lisa Lowe says:

well add me to the minority I have no intentions of going to see this 😦

But I’ve noticed that no one! not nan none of you answered Tracy’s question: “is abstinence before marriage a reality in your opinion?”

• ELovely says:

erbody fuckin these days, and not waitin for marriage that’s so corny!

• Angelhair says:

is abstinence before marriage a reality in your opinion?”
        **********

ain’t no sistah that strong.

• ELovely says:

is abstinence before marriage a reality in your opinion?”
        **********

ain’t no sistah that strong.
        ___________________________________________________

ain’t no brotha that strong for that matter.

• Ashanti says:

But I’ve noticed that no one! not nan none of you answered Tracy’s question:
        *********************

@Lisa, that’s because everybody having sex so they pretending they didn’t even read that shit!

• Omar Nance says:

“is abstinence before marriage a reality in your opinion?”

________________________________________________________
        Please most women wanna give you the puzzy dawg. marriage or not.

• Ashanti says:

Please most women wanna give you the puzzy dawg. marriage or not.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

be careful fool! cause that ain’t all they wanna give you!

I want to support this one, but it seems like the run of the mill lackluster black movies. I’ll wait for the DVD. It’s something about seeing Deray Davis in any movie, I know it’s going to have a generic or “slapstick” style comedy. I’m not a fan at all. The film has Mike Epss. Again, slapstick comedy type actor. I don’t laugh when I see epps or deray in a movie. I dread it actually. And then they got TD Jakes attached to it. WHY?

Remember when he produced that movie with Taraji and Morris? Me either. I just know they were in it. I didn’t see it or can tell you the title of it.

I know it’s just a movie, but whatever.

• Lexy says:

at Pinky!

as much as I wanted to support this film…..DEERAY DAVIS has convinced me not too
      ———————————

*Dead 😦

if you like ‘The Game’ on BET, you will love this movie!

• ELovely says:

if you like ‘The Game’ on BET, you will love this movie!
      _____________________________________________________
      Then I’m gonna hate this movie…cause I think ‘The Game’ sucks…..

But kudo’s to T.D. Jakes for giving black actors and actresses some work and putting money in their pockets

I will see it one day during the week next week when everyone else is supposed to be at work…during matinee time.

“is abstinence before marriage a reality in your opinion?”
    —————————————————————————–

naw

——————————-

it’s very much a reality in my world. if i met the right the right guy and we were in a committed relationship that was moving toward marraige then def. but it’s a reality for me.

I saw the movie and thought it was aight. as far as absitinence being a reality? It should be for most. ya gotta be careful these days with whom you sleep with. esp. since erbody ain’t clean and some of these brothas are on the downlow. I’m careful how i use my stick.