“Buyers Beware – Think Before You Buy That Knock-Off!”

April 26, 2011 by The ReadyWriter

You know how everybody flock to Canal street in New York to buy those Louis Vuitton and Coach bag knockoffs? Well, buyers could now face a year in jail or a $,1000 fine under a new proposed bill by a New York city councilwoman.

Councilwoman Margaret Chin is fed up with those cheap-skate tourists and residents flooding her district in search of the fake designer merchandise. “We don’t want to be known as the place to come to get counterfeit goods” Chin said. Chin’s Chinatown district is ground zero and known for counterfeiter products. However, why is this woman speaking up about this now? When this has been “the happening” for years.

Under Chin’s bill, which is being introduced Thursday, shoppers caught buying any counterfeit products could face jail or be slapped with a fine of $1,000 — a little less than the price of Marc Jacobs’ frequently copied Baroque Quilting Mini Stam bag, which retails for $1,250.

“It’s a very big problem,” Chin said of the counterfeit market. “People are still coming, and the industry is growing, and we have to stop the demand. We need people to know that they are feeding this demand.”

Several of Chin’s colleagues have expressed support for the bill, and she already has five co-sponsors.

What’s your opinion Ceo Community, will you still take that chance and buy that knockoff bag or fake Tiffany jewelry?

74 thoughts on ““Buyers Beware – Think Before You Buy That Knock-Off!”

Blog Queen you forgot the fake movies and dvds too. lol

clutches pearls…..that knockoff stuff is hot to death!!!! and I’s got to have it!!!!!

Morning people

4. al-scream says:

oh my

we goin to jail for buying the fake shit now! damn can a brotha get a break in this recession.

5. angelhair says:

GOOD FOLKS DON’T WASTE MONEY BUYN THIS CRAP!!!!! HELL MOST OF EM WHO DO CAN BARELY PAY THERE BILLS..

• Pinky says:

~~~~~~~~

you don’t that! you’re just judging based upon your prejudices.

Please! Knockoffs are poor peoples illusions of glamor. I ain’t ashamed. 🙂

• angelhair says:

Please! Knockoffs are poor peoples illusions of glamor. I ain’t ashamed
      ____________________________________________
      Ha Ha, so true. they deserve to be drapped in hughie vuitton. they earned it.

• Wanda says:

Ha Ha, so true. they deserve to be drapped in hughie vuitton. they earned it.
        __________________

@angelhair, don’t knock what you don’t know

Um, you can buy that shit on the internet now so it doesn’t make sense to go to NY just for that…plus the shit you buy in Chinatown falls apart on you when you’re out and about trying to look cute!!! Not a good look at all!!!!

Dnt make no sense and she chinese too she must be jealous of her own ppl.. chinese ppl in chinatown is the biggest hustlas!

in dis day n age and especially dis economy nobody got money like that to buy $5000 bags and all types of stuff in that money range., so Ms.chin cutt it out and do something more productive you can’t possibly be paid for doin this bullshit! Smdh

Wait why aren’t they going after the people who sellin it

• Aceman says:

Wait why aren’t they going after the people who sellin it
      *********************************************
      cause then they would be going after their own! assholes!

• ELovely says:

Wait why aren’t they going after the people who sellin it

EXACTLY @ IONNA,
        This has to be the dumbest thing I’ve heard. How can you fine someone for buying merchandise. Why not go after the people making and selling them instead of someone who purchases it. Crazy as hell, people always tryna put some new shit in the game.

• XMen says:

Crazy as hell, people always tryna put some new shit in the game.
        —————-

yeah this law is crazy as hell and it’s corny.

I don’t really care about brand name items. If something looks good whether it has a label or not is fine by me. That said, I think it’s silly of the Councilwoman to state that Chinatown doesn’t want to be known as the place to get counterfeit items. The fact is if the community didn’t want to be known for selling these items then they wouldn’t sell those items.

I was in Chinatown not too long ago and several people pulled me aside to try to get me to purchase counterfeit bags. The fact is the people of Chinatown are making profits selling these bags to thousands of people. I’m not sure why the Councilwoman would attack something that in my opinion is quite lucrative to her constituents. As far as I’m concerned this is merely a ploy for the city to make money by issuing fines.

As far as I’m concerned this is merely a ploy for the city to make money by issuing fines. –> COSIGN!!!

• 2Thick4U says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I agree, as I just said above money is always their bottom line. they’re tryna gain revenue for their district/city. it’s all a numbers game.

Come on now, it’s not like they’re taking business from the actual name brands….you’re not gonna see someone that can afford a real gucci, prada, etc. out here paying $50 for a knock off! get real.

This post make me wanna go right now to buy a knockoff just to prove a point!

• 2Thick4U says:

______________________

yeah it’s big time bullshit but again the bottom line is money.

• XMen says:

___________________________________________
        Do you know how many times they tried to stop this shit ..Its another Bloomberg law trying to keep poor folks from eating ..it may slow down abit but ..it will be on and popping by summertime again!

And seriously, THIS is what’s going to ruin NY’s rep Ms. Chin??
    Look, people are gonna go to the big apple regardless, if this happens to bring more people to the city, they ought to be happy about it! I don’t see nothing wrong with selling some purses, I mean they’re not stolen, just a generic version…what’s wrong with that?

• 2Thick4U says:

And seriously, THIS is what’s going to ruin NY’s rep Ms. Chin??
      ~~~~~~~~
      she know the people selling the counterfiets are making a killing so they want a piece of the action is all.

Hell no its not a fair law. If I want to buy a knock off purse thats my business and my money. I dont give a fuck about Prada, Louis, Gucci, Fendi, and anybody else who makes sells those ridiculously priced purses.

If i think its cute and the price is right im gonna cop it, real or fake. I aint on it!

16. Valerie says:

The China Town knock offs is a part of what makes NY special/fun…i’m sorry but NY is so much fun because of the counterfeit items. Miss Chin i don’t care if you think i’m a cheap tourist.. *licks tongue*

I have my favorite KNOCK-OFF man and that ain’t neva gonna change. so Ms. Chin just may as well sit her ass down with her political agenda.