“Elgin Charles, Jackee’s Effeminate Man And Ex-husband”

April 18, 2011 by The ReadyWriter

If you’ve ever tuned into VH1’s “Beverly Hills Fabulous” you’ll be greeted by the flamboyance of Elgin Charles. I love this show because this man is fierce. An older handsome African-American man, who sports purses, wears a shoulder length perfectly coiffed wrap at all times, switches his hips, turns his neck and whips his hair back and forth better than Willow Smith. And the man was married to actress Jackee Harry.

The reality show chronicles the daily and often trite happenings at the ambitious businessman’s upscale salon. Like most reality television programs, the show centers on the cast members’ and their personal flair.

Jackee Harry makes an appearance in one episode, where she meets Elgin for lunch and he assumed she lured him there for sex. Watching the former couple interact was more like catching a glimpse of two girlfriends having lunch, not lovers.

So what’s up with Jackee Harry hooking up with an effeminate black man? What makes an attractive woman decide to nest with a man who wants to paint hers and his own fingernails each day? Has the shortage of marriage-minded, eligible black men led women to make the ultimate compromise of sharing her man with another man?

According to statistics less than 50 percent of Black women are married. Additionally, almost 50 percent of marriages end in divorce and the primary culprits are money matters and infidelity. It’s obvious why Elgin is Jackee’s ex-husband, he comes across as having a little “sugar in his tank”.

Jackee and Elgin cohabit in the same home, where they co-parent their 17-year-old son. Ultimately, what makes a relationship work depends on the couple…and we know with these two it’s their business.

Still, when we look at women in the limelight who had effeminate mates (Terry McMillan, Star Jones and Valerie Ashford) we can’t help but question what went into their decision? Whether it was loneliness or love, a man shortage or just a good man, some men present themselves as straight when their on the down low all along.

126 thoughts on ““Elgin Charles, Jackee’s Effeminate Man And Ex-husband”

1. Ionna Wynn says:

It all boils down to low standards

2. Xmen2009 says:

shoot i’ve seen that episode of eligin’s show. if women still wanna marry prince why not marry a man that can do ur hair lol.

3. Valerie Perry says:

i would take him it don’t mean u gotta have sex wit him hell

i like elgin’s hair i would love a man wit hair like that i would tell him babe cut off ur hair and sow it onto mine. at least u know where its coming from and its clean lol

4. AppleBottomGirl says:

Black Women in the public eye, have always made poor choices in mates, this is nothing new. Successful Black Women, have always struggled to find partners of equal yoke. The attraction to Gay Men, is no different for Black Women as it is for White Women. Both have always found The Gay Man to be physically attractive, while overlooking the obvious.

5. Wanda B. says:

A successful, attractive Man, Gay or Straight is always going to be considered a catch for any woman if it brings about the desired result: ENVY from other Women! This plan always backfires in the end because of the obvious. My advice to women, would be one that is timeless: Don’t go after Men you want go after Men who want YOU!

6. ELovely says:

FLAMBOUYANCY MY ASS THIS GUY IS A “FHUCKIN PHAGGOT”

7. Lisa Lowe says:

A man who is anything but masculine is an immediate turn off for me. But I can see why some women would like that. I imagine he may be much more sensitive to her needs. A lack of sensitivity/romance is a huge complaint from many married and dating women…

My man must be man in every sense of the word. There should be no question as to which way he swings.

1. His hair can’t be longer than mine.
    2. His nails can’t be longer than mine – and I have naturally long nails!
    3. Absolutely NO effimminate ways whatsoever
    4. No past homosexual relationsips.

a man should be a man in every sense of the word and there should be any question about his manhood. That’s how it should be in my opinion.

• Man-Up says:

1. His hair can’t be longer than mine. -> Her hair can’t be shorter than mine
      2. His nails can’t be longer than mine – and I have naturally long nails! ->Her nails better be longer than mine and I have natually short nails.
      3. Absolutely NO effimminate ways whatsoever ->Absolutely NO masculine ways for her whatsoever, or I’m out. She better never belch, fart or take the garbage out, or i’ll perceive that as manliness and she must go!
      4. No past homosexual relationsips. -> She better never as much as kissed another woman in her past, or I’m done!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      My woman must be a woman in every sense of the word (whatever that means).

• 2Thick4U says:

That man is gay as hell. Jackee need her azz whooped. But then again it’s some freaky folks out here so aint no tellin what they was doin. And the show seems staged and it’s not interesting.

• TruthSeeker says:

@manUp..with you all the way..some of these women think we have to TAKE them with their don’t haves..simply because they are women..

..and as they say MAN-UP..I say WOMAN UP..(laughing) and more men need to stand up for this..we let so called females get away with not being a woman and allow them to be that bit*h- I say WOMAN-UP.. if I wanted a tom-boy female.. I would be with a gay dude.. and trust there’s nothing remotely masculine of any sort I’m interested as an attraction..not even tom-boy females who mostly likely bisexual..

From my perspective I think alot black men are on the downlow but to those who do keep your eyes open and legs closed Kudos.

Y’all can hate all ya wanna, but Elgin Charles is the SHIT!!!

Got bitches mad @ him cuz he is mo’ flyer than they are and dudes hatin’ cause he look betta than their bitches…wishin’ you had his swag. Take note hoes: There is fabulousness among us!
    LMAO

I could never be with a man who doesn’t act like a man, do things like a man, talk like a man…there are too many other problems with men and this is just adding to it. Don’t accept it women, you can do so much better! As long as your happy!

13. Olivijah J. says:

sounds to me like she married her best friend. ugh

I remember when she married him he was not this “flaming”..His looks was very similar to El Debarge

I never really watched the show but as I was ‘clicking’ I saw the scene where Jackee said she was married to the owner of the salon.
    I was confused too. I could never be with a man who looked at another man THAT way. SMH

she said their divorced because she didn’t wanna be married anymore. I’ve seen them 2gether and he really handles her well. i can see how she fell in love with him but was prbly devastated when she found out he was gay.

17. Spice_Girl says:

Can’t have a feminine man ladies no sir ree not me!!!! I just can’t get with it…I’d have to stay single and truthfully…. being singe ain’t bad if you truly love and are happy with yourself.

18. Anthony Belford says:

Man forget about all these shows with homos telling women how to walk, talk, flip their hair and so on!

WTF!

There are way too many reality shows on today…some are ok whiles others like basketball groupies is just crazy…

And the housewives of beverly hills…I don’t get it? These people are rich…surely they don’t need a reality show to pay the bills…

My question is how n the hell did Jackee marry this fool? It had to be for companionship only because…they both looking for the same thing. How he doin’?

21. Al-Scream says:

what the hell is an elgin charles?

My issue is with Jackee Harry, why would a woman mistreat herself? He’s obviously not interested in Jackee romantically so, why stay there and be overlooked.

When I see her now, she looks tore up as if she’s thrown the towel in on her low self esteem. I would just move on, why look for love in a gay man?

he’s a joke.

24. KatMan says:

He looks like Steve Harvey and Richard Pryor’s gay love child.

Jackee is wrong as hell for marying and fuckin that fag and whats up wit them leavn ther son for the grandmother to raise like they were just so busy..

• Ms. Kayla says:

@Brown,
      That’s the same thing that I thought, why they give up’ their child in his early yrs?? And are just now taking back the responsibility of parentig him? (child lived w/ his GM and aunt until *they* died wth??)

• Ashanti says:

I don’t get that either. And Jackee said that he’s been a parent for a long time but that she’s still getting the hang of it?

I think she was hurt after she found out he was gay so she gave her baby away.

• CoCo says:

Jackee’s baby is adopted for those that didn’t know.

• Ms. Kayla says:

Jackee’s baby is adopted for those that didn’t know.
        _________________________________________________________
        Well shut my mouth… you are absolutely correct! They adopted him when he was 1 and a half.

• Ashanti says:

I still think he is at least bi-sexual!

• CorparateBitch says:

Jackee’s baby is adopted for those that didn’t know.
        ____________________________________________________
        I knew he aint seen no parts of the puzzi!! I knew it!!!

• ManUp says:

Elgin probably thinks he got a puzzi too….

• BrownGirl says:

So Mr. Elgin USED to be straight….then he turned or did Jackee pull a Star Jones?

Please explain cause Im confused…

• Cameo1 says:

Please explain cause Im confused…
        __________________________________

Bish you know good and well you aint gotta be straight to have no kids… C’mon now Chiby… They said they was married for 8 years and then Jackee said she aint wanna be married no more… That nigga was probably just as flaming 16 or 17 years ago as he is now and Jackee’ was attracted cus she been a confused tranny woman all her life so opposites attracted and they made a baby

• Natasha says:

I think Elgin and Jackee got married so that he’d be able to adopt a child cause back then nobody was trying to make adoption easy for the gays…I like Chrissy…Amber is one swallow away…

I actually like the show & the staff (esp. Lolita & Sean). CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF THEM!!!

27. Adriane Page says:

I’M STILL TRYING TO SEE WHO THE GOOD HAIR STYLIST IS THERE, CUZ SO FAR I HAVEN’T SEEN NO FLY HAIRDOS?!! LMBO&SMH

28. Felecia Weeks says:

I hate to say this but I like this show!!! Especially Sean he is a trip without the luggage!!!

29. Kimmie2010 says:

Classy doesn’t sell reality tv. We are too hard on each other. What we need to do is stop worrying what ‘they’ think of us. When we have that kind of mindset, we are saying that we think others are better. How many ‘classy’ white reality shows are out there? I am tired of that crabs in a barrel mentality. People talk about us because we constantly put each other down. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard ‘black people don’t even like each other’. Do your thing, Elgin!

30. Acquitta P. says:

His shows a hit!

31. Tamala Green says:

I have had enough of thse faggie dudes wanting to be what they aren’t.. women. Be a man faggs, you weren’t born to be women so stop trying!!!! This is foolishnesssssss

Two eaches own people but for Elgin to maintain a business for 20 years in a city who still looks down on black people (and yes they look down on black people with money) I give Elgin much respect just for maintaining a black owned business in one of the the richest and most expensive city’s in California. (Especially in this economy) Get yours Elgin!

Go Elgin GO!!!!

33. AppleBottomGirl says:

His salon is supposed to be an upscale beverly hills salon? wow

So basically Jackee was married to a gay man?!?!? Let’s bow our heads in prayer ya’ll…

• Mrs.Hawthorne says:

okayyyyy – I remember when she married him back in the day and I was baffled but then again, I see so much desperation when it comes to women doing ANYTHING to get with a man. all I can do is shake my head. Reclaim your power sistas and make smarter choices !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Spice_Girl says:

Jackee married him? Seems to be gay!

Okay she didn’t know he was gay? WTF people.

• Wanda B. says:

didnt know they were divorced.

didnt know they were divorced.
        —————————————-

well if he’s gay that means he loves men which means he wouldn’t want her anymore which would explain why they’re divorced. it’s a domino effect.

So they were an Ashford and Simpson at one time?? I don’t understand these women who are attracted to and marry these extra-glossy “men”, gay or not.

• Mrs.Hawthorne says:

They appear to be good friends post-divorce.

• Gabriella says:

They appear to be good friends post-divorce.
        ______________________________________

that’s what most faggs / downlow men wanna be your girlfriend not ya man.

• Lexy says:

Ex Wife? What? SO dude is gay?
        Couldve fooled my ass. A HOT ASS FUCKING MESS!

• Mahogany says:

I could never understand why Jackie and that man was married. Maybe it was a marriage of convenience because he is obviously gay good to see they are still friends tho.

• Mrs.Hawthorne says:

**********
        I don’t think he was OUT when they got married, he had to love her in order to marry her. but c’mom he was a hair stylist, i don’t know why that didn’t set off her gaydar.

• Angel-hair says:

So Jackee married a gay man…that seems to be thing these days.

• Mahogany says:

So Jackee married a gay man…that seems to be thing these days.
        ____________

not in this circle of sanity.

• Zenna Hohn says:

So basically Jackee was married to a gay man?!?!?
        ____________________________________________________________
        I remember when they got married YEARS ago.. I guess she realized he was gay and divorced him..

• Lexy says:

@Zenna, yes but trust now it’s all about the money $$$$ she gettin p.a.i.d. they live in the same house? he asked her to move in with him to coparent their son? *side-eye*

That shit is strange.

• Angel-hair says:

I love Elgin Charles. He seems to be a fabulous business man and a nice person. So what if he is gay,,, he is doing his THANG!. I think that it is beautiful that he and Jackee are living in the same house and co-parenting their son. A kid deserves both parents even if dad is gay.

________________________________________________________

really? I think it’s fucked up? how will that son be influenced? will he think it’s normal to have sex with a man? wow. i wouldn’t want to trade places with them for all the money in the world. Shit is so twisted.

*pause* Wait….what?? No. What in da heyell????

I just have one comment… if this is supposedly a premier salon, how come nobody’s hair was looking fabulous except Elgin’s?

I can’t! I’m done!

36. Felecia Weeks says:

I think his show is hilarious. Gay guys are always funny as hell.

His hair is beautiful. he’s very handsome..too bad he’s gay.

38. SoldierBoy says:

If Jackee was married to this dude I know she fucked up. Esp. if she didn’t find out he was gay until after she well into marital bliss. SMH How fucked up.

that nicca is sweeter than a box of chocolates. *smdh*

He reminds me of Nick Ashford of Ashford & Simpson..Smh

41. annoy says:

If you google “jackee harry wedding pictures” it will take you to the jet magazine spread on her wedding back in the day. He wasn’t (or at least he didn’t look like he was) flaming then. He looks regular. Wonder when the change occured?

• Zenna says:

********

exactly, in the beginning he looked like a normal str8 dude who did hair, the change had to occur sometime during their marriage. wonder if she caught him in bed with a another man? something happened.

• DaisyDukes says:

wooooooow!!! that’s him? dang, i remember seeing in Jet that they were married, and this is how he turned out? woow! I didn’t even know he came out the closet. lol!

42. CorparateBitch says:

PROOF! Black women are desperate. This bitch new this dude was a flaming fag and still risked catching aids. There are alot of black women like this who know men are flaming fags and see all the signs and they still will date them. This happens all the time in atlanta and is why black women lead the U.S with the highest H.IV rates

• Vaughn says:

I am so confused. Is he gay or just ultra feminine, or bisexual?

• ManUp says:

CORP,
        Faggots spread aids, specifically downlow men. They let men raw dog them in their asses then they go back home to their wives. It has been scientifically proven that it is easier for a man to spread hiv to a woman. Than vica versa. Google it! Its actually hard for a female to give it to a man unless she already has another std, or a yeast infection. Which simply means most men that catch the disease in MOST cases caught it from another man= faggot

There is no way under the fucking son this bitch didnt know this dude was a flaming faggot when she married him. I feel sorry for their son

• CoCo says:

_______________________________________________________________________
      Why would you feel sorry for their son? He has his father in his life who obviously loves him and takes good care of him. Unlike the majority of black young boys who are growing up without their fathers in their lives.

I saw them on “The Talk” and was surprised that they had been married. When Julie Chen and ‘nem asked why they divorced, Jackee’ said it was because SHE didn’t want to be married to a gay man. I think it’s sweet that they’ve remained friends and reside in the same household.

• Ms. Kayla says:

He looks like Teeth Harvey to me. I suspect that when they were married he was less “glittery”. Yes, that’s the only way I see her marrying him.

45. al-scream says:

Jackee And Her Gay Ex-Husband Elgin Charles Reveal The Fake Reason Why They Got A Divorce. I cant believe jackee from 227 was really married to this fag elgin charles

Well, as one black women wrote on my wall the other day, “ALL DICK is good dick… even if it has a little shit on it!” I don’t think women give a fuck these days. They only seem to care when the dude goes public with their f-aggotry… like Terri McMillian!

hahaha that elgin dude looks like a gay steve harvey!!! LOL

just saw his show and elgin charles is gay, gay, gay.

49. wooosa says:

I think Jackee is a lesbian and she was attracted to Elgin because he lets her F*** him with a strap on!

did anyone watch the show last night?

• Felecia Weeks says:

I don’t get the station but I watched it online and that SEAN is fine and funny. Jackee bosses Elgin but she’s in on it for the money and attention it’s bringing her again. He might be gay but he genuinely cares about her.

He might be gay but he genuinely cares about her.
        ______________________________________________________

well of course, she’s the mother of his son. but at that same time this is his way of making her pockets fat as well.

• Sane says:

wassup ladies,
        he’s def looking out for her and that’s a good thing but she got on my damn nerves with the whole infomercial last night. her voice was just so annoying.

• Yasha says:

did anyone watch the show last night?
        _____________________________________________________________

Yes I watched that ghetto mess last night and if i was the girl in sean’s chair and he was complaining about my nice thick long hair, i woulda kindly got up and left! he was tacky for that.

__________________

he was acting like a lil bitch! I haven’t seen any of them really hook a head up yet.

• Felecia Weeks says:

I hope Tracy will blog today about *love and hip hop* i want her take on chrissy asking that boy to marry her n then presenting him with the ring.

• Yasha says:

________________________________

that was pretty BOLD of her, I would neva ask a dude to marry me.

This dude is Gay!!!!
    Yet he was married to Jackie…..like husband and wife married….or we doin this for health benefits and tax purposes married..GTFOH

Elgin looks like the lion from the Wiz

53. Pointman says:

Elgin Charles and Jackee Harry were lesbian lovers…

Elgin Charles is my boo! His hair is soo fab!

Between Elgin, Kat Williams and Al Sharpton I don’t know who has a crisper perm. Heads up to their hair dressers for all that shiny luxuriousness.

Elgin Charles’ hair be FIERCE on his show! Have me all jealous and shyt 🙂

Hey e’rbody!!!!!!!

I love Elgin! Why, i don’t know…I can’t put my finger on it. His show is SO extra and obviously fake. He is SO ghey and Jackee shoulda known betta…BUT I love him anyway.

Maybe that’s what she was saying 🙂

I don’t know who Elgin Charles is and don’t care enough to Google.

59. Mizlady1005 says:

Jackee strikes me as a VERY intelligent woman. I’m sure if her ex is/was gay…….she was aware from the beginning. It is her third marriage. Look people, in the real world sex has little to do with marriage. I for one believe sex complicates things. So, you go girl if you find someone who loves you, respects and supports you. You can get sex anywhere. Bet she didn’t have to worry about being heart broken to distraction because of the betrayal of infidelity.

• Al-Scream says:

————————————————-

infedelity is infidelity whether it be with a another man or another woman. anytime you FUCK someone OUTSIDE of your MARRIED union, it’s considered infidelity. and that’s considered WHAT??? BETRAYAL!!!!

60. Al-Scream says:

————————————————-

61. Chris says:

I am shocked at the number of anti-gay slurs on here. Wow. And to think blacks always bitchin’ about some white folks being hateful towards blacks, yet here are mostly blacks being hateful about a sexual minority who are not out to harm anybody! What is the problem with gays? Sheesh. Live and let live folks. Now THIS is why I don’t even hang out with my own kind. Surprised? Well I am not. And I am blatino. At least most white folks I know are non-racist and non-homophobic. Homo-hatred is rampant amongst my own kind and from what I can read on here, I am not wrong.

• Danny says:

————-
      Nah the ceo fam mbrs are not hateful, we just have STRONG opinions on the subject dats all. and BTW this is not an all black blog. we multi-racial up in here

• alscream says:

What is the problem with gays?
      ________________________

let me answer that for you they sticking what God made for a woman up a man’s ass. and lezzie’s are laying their tongues on another woman and that shit ain’t natural. i can ON but i won’t because i’m hoping you get my drift.

• alscream says:

oh and @Chris…..we don’t hate we congregate.