“Police Make An Arrest In Fatal Shooting Of DJ Megatron”

April 7, 2011 by The ReadyWriter

According to the NY Daily News, police have made an arrest for the murder of DJ Megatron, a popular New York DJ who worked for BET’s 106 & Park.

Police charged William Williams, 21, and Richard Cromwell, 20, with murder, robbery and criminal possession of a handgun. They were awaiting arraignment Wednesday night.

Police say Megatron, real name Corey McGriff, 32, was on the hunt for marijuana around 2 a.m. March 27 when the two men approached him on Osgood Avenue, about a block from his Staten Island brownstone.

McGriff’s 4-year-old son, who was left home alone, may have watched from the doorway of the family residence as one of the suspects shot his father once in the chest.

Williams and Cromwell, who both have lengthy criminal records, rifled through McGriff’s pockets, robbing him of a wad of cash and an inexpensive wristwatch that his 11-year-old daughter had given him as a gift.

The watch held sentimental value for McGriff, according to his grieving mother, Louvenia McGriff, 60. “He loved it because she gave it to him,” she told the NY Daily News from her Georgia home.

Police recovered the watch after it was discarded by McGriff’s heartless murderers. “They threw it away probably because they realized it wasn’t valuable,” she said.

An anonymous caller gave police the tip they needed to apprehend the suspects. “That is a risky thing to do,” McGriff’s mother said of the anonymous caller.

“They’re sacrificing themselves for justice. That speaks volumes about my son. I’m so grateful to everybody for what they’ve done.”

She said the family is preparing to see the alleged killers in court.

“I want to look in their eyes and I want to know why they had to kill him,” she said. “Why kill him?”

“It’s a hard thing to swallow,” said her husband, Leo McGriff. “We’ll be doing a lot of crying.”

102 thoughts on ““Police Make An Arrest In Fatal Shooting Of DJ Megatron”

1. Wanda B. says:

Kudos to those people who anonymously gave the cops the info they needed to apprehend these idiots.

I pray for this victim’s kids.

• Angel-hair says:

************

cosign

21 and 20? 😦 <<<<<<smh

All this over a weed run smh…stay inside folks.

😦 I want the family to have closure and peace. Can't imagine what they're going through.

• Angel-hair says:

All this over a weed run
      ___________________________________
      drug deal gone bad…if it even came to that.

• Gabriella says:

Kudos to the person that came forward. Such a sad story.

And this is not about a weed run…it’s about two low lives who decided it wasn’t enough to just rob the man, but they had to murder him as well.

3. Daisydukes says:

Jesus be a fence around our young black men 😦

God bless his kids and family

Good Morning

Uneducated black men, dont make no sense Robbing and murdering that man! And at the end of the day you’re still gonna be broke.

• RandomChick says:

_________________

exactly but why take his life in the process? just sad.

How do 2 grown azz men come up with a plan to ACT so COWARDLY! If they (and the rest of the cowards in the world) knew/understood the HISTORY of the BLACK MAN’s trials and Tribulations, they wouldn’t even think to EVER take another BLACK MANS LIFE I send my prayers 😦

• Ashanti says:

How do 2 grown azz men come up with a plan to ACT so COWARDLY!
      ————–

cosign and it’s sooooo sad. smh

Now these 2 fools goin to jail for the rest of their lives. while the kids remain fatherless for the REST of their lives…smh…what a loose loose situation.

• Ashanti says:

__________________________________

Exactly!!!

it’s good that someone bypassed that ‘No Snitching’ rule and told the police what they knew. it’s sad that his son watched this happen. smh.

• Ashanti says:

______________________

i agree!

*recalls the other story* sooo they left him with $1 in his pocket? i say this because there was a big deal about him not having money in his pocket and being broke and drug dealers not taking debit cards.

anywho, if these are truly the people that killed him i hope justice is served.

• RandomChick says:

@Corporate
      That’s what I thought about too. And the statement about a woman paying his bills. All irrelevant.

Glad they caught the murderers.

9. Man-Up says:

Sad story. Feel so bad for the kids.

10. Al-Scream says:

Sad state of affiars!

I just finished reading a story about the NBA players holding hands. Stuff like this makes me wish that they were holding hands in unity versus killing another for whatever reason.

I wish people would have the same drive to work hard and reap the benefits as they do robbing, killing, and drug dealing.

• Vaughn says:

Well, at least those two thugs are MEN and never held hands!!!! Thank goodness they ain’t gay and just killed a nicca.

• Tamala Green says:

I know right…..sad state of affiars

———————————————–

i don’t know you.. but this is clearly sarcasm right?

• UncleEd says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You’re being sarcastic right?

• Al-Scream says:

@ed…

yeap truly sad how we sometimes think and make an issue. When young brothers are killing themselves. I’m sure some brothers were holding hands when they walked during the Civil Rights movements.

• Adriane Page says:

@vaughn

You can be so fucking rude sometimes, i guess this is one of those times.

How stupid can you get? Took a life for no reason at all. Idiots really drive me crazy. Really.

This shit is sooo unreal. wow

13. Tamala Green says:

ignorant that they killed him.

Just plain ignorant!

It’s good to know the police are acting on anonymous tips from citizens. I’m glad that not everyone lives by that whole stop snitching thing.

• AceMan says:

hey @Brown,
      I am all for snitching tattling whatever you want to call it I hate the whole No snitching thing

• RandomChick says:

___________________

We snitched all the time when we were growing up. My cousins were not about to place the blame on me for something. 😦 Hell, we used to get in trouble for NOT telling.

• Man-Up says:

___________________________________________

EXACTLY… there is only person I would never snitch on, my mama…………assuming the price was right.

• Anthony Belford says:

They where prbly talkin in the gym about going to prison talkin bout loyalty Im like nah bruh if its me or you I’ll see you when you get out I cant do prison at all. IM TELLIN

• 2Thick4U says:

If I secretly see my co-worker stealing the white man’s products at the job…KUDOS! that’s they problem, because at the end of the day, if they continue with it they will eventually get caught…BUT I AINT TELLING SQUAT!!!

• 2Thick4U says:

…..Now if somebody murdered a pedophile, and I know who did it I AINT TELLING shit!!!

• 2Thick4U says:

It’s all about knowing when and when-not to snitch…

I can’t stand snitch ass co-workers who run to go tell about something that aint even got nothing to do with them, and aint affecting them in no way…

On the flip side, if I see some strangers robbing my neighbors house, YOU DAMN SKIPPY I’M GONNA SNITCH TO THE COPS!!!

• Anthony Belford says:

Fuck U 2THICK and everything you luv…. being nosey is in my nature, a (losing) battle I fight everyday

This is pathetic! robbing the man was the real motive. damn!!!! May his family find peace while seeking justice.

May his family find peace while seeking justice.
      ————————————————————-

yes i agree, because without justice there is NO PEACE!!!!

I have no words. may this brotha truly r.i.p. heard he was buried yesterday. so sad.

So sad but glad they found some suspects.

• Olivijah J. says:

So sad but glad they found some suspects.
      ——————————————————————-

cosign

I am glad the men who did this got caught

• Olivijah J. says:

I am glad the men who did this got caught
      ——————————————————

cosign

19. PointMen says:

is anybody else wondering about the whole 4yr old left home alone while he went on a weed run? Something isnt adding up. I dont think (or at least i hope not) he was planning on leaving from right in front of the house wit a 4yr old there alone. Smokers usually buy from their normal weedman too. I think there’s more to this story.

• QTip says:

the weed run was not even necessary for us to know but the cops is fucked up like that…if it’s more to the story we may neva know cause they be so busy tryna tare down a black man when he’s killed.

coward ass mutherfuckers killed their own. a brotha who was about something. on a road to be GREAT!!!! i’m glad they caught their asses too.

21. Adriane Page says:

Hello All. 10 people shot/stabbed in DC last nite, 5 die from their wounds. What else is new in the hood? Peace.

22. AppleBottomGirl says:

sad everytime some black men kill another. all lives lost for sure.

May mega..R.I.P.

• Omar N. says:

Yeah, fucked up situation all way around. but it woulda been no better if dude was killed by a white boy.

did they really had to kill him? damn!!! rob him but don’t take his life.

Hopefully the two fools will be put away forever.

They should just give them the death pentalty already!!!!!!